Scratching post question

Old November 7th 04, 06:14 PM
Just a guy and his cat

Default Scratching post question

What is the lifespan of a scratching post? I've had George since
September and while the post itself is in good shape, the base is
becoming all frayed with the rope loosening off of the base. Should I
start cutting the rope at base or will this unravel the whole thing.
Any information would be appreciated.

Just a guy
and
his cat.
Old November 7th 04, 06:29 PM
Mary

"Just a guy and his cat" wrote in message
What is the lifespan of a scratching post? I've had George since
September and while the post itself is in good shape, the base is
becoming all frayed with the rope loosening off of the base. Should I
start cutting the rope at base or will this unravel the whole thing.
Any information would be appreciated.

If there is still stuff left to scratch on I would leave it
alone and just rub catnip on it from time to time then
replace it when it is really shredded. They like it torn
up. I think the fraying is only worrying you.

Old November 8th 04, 03:51 AM
Phil P.

"Just a guy and his cat" wrote in message
What is the lifespan of a scratching post? I've had George since
September and while the post itself is in good shape, the base is
becoming all frayed with the rope loosening off of the base. Should I
start cutting the rope at base or will this unravel the whole thing.
Any information would be appreciated.

The more worn the better - as long as the post is sturdy and doesn't wobble.

Here's and excerpt about old and tattered scratching posts by Dr. Nicholas
Dodman, Professor of Behavioral Pharmacology and Director of the Behavior
Clinic at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine:

"Many owners change a scratching post when it is old and tattered. This is
dead wrong, as shredding indicate frequent use and that is exactly what you
want. Half the fun cats experience from a scratching post derives from
getting their claws stuck in the material and leaving wispy threads as
testimony of their erstwhile presence. More than one post is usually
preferred, perhaps one for each high-traffic area of the house. Different
kinds of scratching posts will provide different challenges, so owners can
profitably get quite creative. A large log (with bark) is apparently lots of
fun and especially good for those conditioning functions. "

You can read the entire article he

http://maxshouse.com/understanding_scratching.htm

I have 14 posts, trees and condos - not counting turbo scratchers and wedge
cardboard scratchers for my five fabulous female felines that all look like
hell but my cats love them - that's what's important to me. The only time
I'll throw one out is when it actually falls apart.

Buy another post but keep the old one - your cats will be much happier.

Good luck.

Phil

Old November 9th 04, 12:59 AM
Steve G

Just a guy and his cat wrote in message . ..
What is the lifespan of a scratching post? I've had George since
September

You named your scratching post. That's sweet.

A scratching post is worn out when your cat wears the pole right
through such that the top half falls over and beans said cat on the
noggin. At that point you get a new post and cat.

But! A serious comment - if you have a sisal or carpeted post, when
these get very eroded, the staples that hold the sisal / carpet to the
post can become exposed. Probably worth keeping a watch and pulling
the exposed staples as needed.

Steve.