Awesome scratching post!

Old November 19th 04, 09:21 PM
Steve G

PawsForThought wrote:
From: "Steve G"

http://www.naturalscratch.com/.

That looks interesting. I bet it wouldn't be that hard to make one
of these?

Yah, but $35 is cheap enough that it probably wouldn't be worth the
hassle. I built a bloody huge rodent emporium fairly recently. It was
cheap until you took into account your own time.

What I would really like is this speaker stand
(http://www.particular.com/products/duetto.htm) but replacing the
pillar with a wooden pole. Funky!

The thing that concerns me though is I don't know if my cats would go

for wood.

Yeah, though I think a nicely soft wood wood (sic) probably be liked.
Might encourage the use of door frames as scratching posts though...
S.

Old November 20th 04, 01:01 AM
Dragon

"Steve G" wrote in message oups.com...
It looks OK, but I really like the look of this one:
http://www.naturalscratch.com/. I love the way the scratching erodes
the surface of the post.

I remember when my husband brought home a similar post and we were
both so excited, thinking our four cats would have a ball with it.
Well, for 10 years that thing sat there being ignored by all four of
them! They would go after anything with sisal, carpet back or
cardboard, but the natural wood was clearly unappealing. We were
really surprised. Just thought I'd share our experience...

dragon
Old November 20th 04, 02:47 AM
Elizabeth Blake

From: "Steve G"

It looks OK, but I really like the look of this one:
http://www.naturalscratch.com/. I love the way the scratching erodes
the surface of the post.

That looks interesting. I bet it wouldn't be that hard to make one of

these?
The thing that concerns me though is I don't know if my cats would go for

wood.
I tried a log with them but they just ignored it.

None of mine care for wood either. They like carpet & sisal (their
favorite). A friend of mine used to have a wooden bookcase in his bedroom.
His cat Benny used it as a scratching post and in a few years it was
unusable as a bookcase.

--
Liz

Old November 20th 04, 03:10 AM
Sherry

I remember when my husband brought home a similar post and we were
both so excited, thinking our four cats would have a ball with it.
Well, for 10 years that thing sat there being ignored by all four of
them! They would go after anything with sisal, carpet back or
cardboard, but the natural wood was clearly unappealing. We were
really surprised. Just thought I'd share our experience...

dragon

Mine used to go nuts over pizza boxes. All four of them, for days they'd shred
that box. I'd forgotten about this. I've been on the heart-healthy diet for
three years, so NO PIZZA at this house! I should go to the pizzeria and see if
they'll sell me any empty box.

Sherry
Old November 20th 04, 04:20 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-20, Sherry penned:

Mine used to go nuts over pizza boxes. All four of them, for days they'd
shred that box. I'd forgotten about this. I've been on the heart-healthy
diet for three years, so NO PIZZA at this house! I should go to the pizzeria
and see if they'll sell me any empty box.

Would they like it as much if it didn't smell like pizza?

--
monique

Old November 20th 04, 11:28 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Steve G"

From: "Steve G"

http://www.naturalscratch.com/.

That looks interesting. I bet it wouldn't be that hard to make one
of these?

Yah, but $35 is cheap enough that it probably wouldn't be worth the
hassle. I built a bloody huge rodent emporium fairly recently. It was
cheap until you took into account your own time.

Good point. I think the $35 would definitely be worth it as opposed to a DIY
project.

What I would really like is this speaker stand
(http://www.particular.com/products/duetto.htm) but replacing the
pillar with a wooden pole. Funky!

Wow, those are nice but really expensive!

The thing that concerns me though is I don't know if my cats would go

for wood.

Yeah, though I think a nicely soft wood wood (sic) probably be liked.
Might encourage the use of door frames as scratching posts though...
S.

Mmm...scratching door frames - not good, LOL

Lauren
________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old November 23rd 04, 02:47 PM
dgk

On 19 Nov 2004 13:21:44 -0800, "Steve G"

From: "Steve G"

http://www.naturalscratch.com/.

That looks interesting. I bet it wouldn't be that hard to make one
of these?

Yah, but $35 is cheap enough that it probably wouldn't be worth the
hassle. I built a bloody huge rodent emporium fairly recently. It was
cheap until you took into account your own time.

What I would really like is this speaker stand
(http://www.particular.com/products/duetto.htm) but replacing the
pillar with a wooden pole. Funky!

The thing that concerns me though is I don't know if my cats would go

for wood.

Yeah, though I think a nicely soft wood wood (sic) probably be liked.
Might encourage the use of door frames as scratching posts though...
S.

When bought my house one of the first things that I did was tack some
carpet remnant onto a two by three piece of plywood, attach two pieces
of 2x4 wood for legs, and nail it to a windowsill in the bedroom
overlooking the backyard. Right over the radiator. It has been the
favorite location of quite a few cats by now. The 2x4 legs became
favorite scratching posts for the cats and have now been noticeably
altered into a more pleasing sculpted look.
Old November 23rd 04, 09:17 PM
Steve G

From: "Steve G"

(...)
What I would really like is this speaker stand
(
http://www.particular.com/products/duetto.htm) but replacing the
pillar with a wooden pole. Funky!

Wow, those are nice but really expensive!

An example where making your own is economically sensible!

(...)

Mmm...scratching door frames - not good, LOL

Once upon a time, when I got my big mog I meant to grab a scratching
post on the way back from the shelter whence he came. However, filling
in forms and such took longer than expected, so I couldn't get to the
pet shop before it closed. I managed to procure a post the next day, on
the way home from work. During the day, while I was away, said cat
managed to entirely shred one doorpost to matchsticks. Quite
impressive.

After that day, he never touched the door again though. Then again,
that was because I removed his legs with a spoon.

Steve.