Please let me properly introduce myself

Old March 1st 05, 08:31 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-01, Christina Websell penned:

On 2005-03-01, Seanette Blaylock penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting
things to say about Please let me properly introduce myself:

I love Nutella, and so I try to keep it out of the house =P

I think I have some in inventory. Now I want some, but don't have any
suitable vehicle (such as graham crackers) for it. (sigh)

Thick German bread is, of course, the appropriate vehicle for Nutella =P

I was not impressed by thick brown German bread when I was in Germany. It
made toast for breakfast problematic. ;-) We had to go miles to get sliced
white bread.

Bleh, white bread!

When I was a kid, though, I admit I had nutella on wonder bread and thought it
was great.

Before you say, I had no problem at all "eating German" for most of
the time. After ten days I was desperate for some toast for my
breakfast, and got it in the end. Mmmm.

I'm not gonna say anything. When I visited Germany for the first time in 12
years, I had enormous difficulty with one thing -- water. I live in a very
dry climate and everyone, I mean everyone, here carries water with them
wherever they go. We drink water constantly, we keep bottles on our desks at
work, in our cars, etc. So I get to Germany and no one drinks water. No one.
Go to a restaurant and if you can get water, it's in this tiny little glass
that contains roughly 1.5 sips. Couldn't even find bottled water in the
stores, except for flavored stuff!

I never thought I'd be so happy to get home just so that I could drink real
water.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 1st 05, 08:48 PM
Mary

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

Before you say, I had no problem at all "eating German" for most of
the time. After ten days I was desperate for some toast for my
breakfast, and got it in the end. Mmmm.

I'm not gonna say anything.

I have never met a sausage I did not like. And I love
pickled cabbage, too. I simmer pork loins in it now.
My mother was German-American.

Old March 1st 05, 08:58 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-01, Mary penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

Before you say, I had no problem at all "eating German" for most of the
time. After ten days I was desperate for some toast for my breakfast,
and got it in the end. Mmmm.

I'm not gonna say anything.

I have never met a sausage I did not like. And I love pickled cabbage,
too. I simmer pork loins in it now. My mother was German-American.

I'm not a big sausage fan, except for kielbasa. Neither mom (still a German
citizen, although she's working on that) nor I like beer. But I gained at
least five pounds in a single week in Germany last fall. Mmmmm German food.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 1st 05, 09:03 PM
Mary

On 2005-03-01, Mary penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

Before you say, I had no problem at all "eating German" for most of

the
time. After ten days I was desperate for some toast for my

breakfast,
and got it in the end. Mmmm.

I'm not gonna say anything.

I have never met a sausage I did not like. And I love pickled

cabbage,
too. I simmer pork loins in it now. My mother was German-American.

I'm not a big sausage fan, except for kielbasa. Neither mom (still a

German
citizen, although she's working on that) nor I like beer. But I gained at
least five pounds in a single week in Germany last fall. Mmmmm German

food.

Care to tell us more about your favorite German dishes? I only know what
Mama cooked and what I had at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich!

Old March 1st 05, 09:19 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-01, Mary penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I'm not a big sausage fan, except for kielbasa. Neither mom (still a
German citizen, although she's working on that) nor I like beer. But
I gained at least five pounds in a single week in Germany last fall.
Mmmmm German food.

Care to tell us more about your favorite German dishes? I only know
what Mama cooked and what I had at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich!

Only if you don't mock my German spelling ... which is atrocious ...

Schweinehaxe, um, hamhock? Big joint of pig with lots of fat

Sauerkraut with pork, the pork having been cooked in the kraut till it's
falling apart

Goulash, although I guess that's technically hungarian

Breakfast of Broetchen (rolls) with butter and lunch meat. The lunch meat is
just plain better in Germany. I think it's all the fat ... and the butter is
better, too!

Jaegerschnitzel!

Dampfknoedel ... these are these um, um ... hrm. I think it's dough that is
fried in a pan, so that the bottoms are crispy and salty while the rest of
them are soft and almost sweet.

Oh, geez. This is killing me. No more!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 1st 05, 09:31 PM
Christina Websell

On 2005-03-01, Christina Websell penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-03-01, Seanette Blaylock penned:
[...]

I don't quite understand. There was plenty of water in the tap (faucet) in
Germany while I was there, and the weather was very hot, often over 30C. If
we went out for a few hours, we each took a bottle of water drawn from this
to drink if we needed it.
What really surprised me about Germany was that you could buy alcohol at a
petrol (gas) station 24 hours a day, and it cost almost nothing compared
with the UK.
The wild boar gave me a bit of a shock too.

Tweed

Old March 1st 05, 09:45 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-01, Christina Websell penned:

I don't quite understand. There was plenty of water in the tap (faucet) in
Germany while I was there, and the weather was very hot, often over 30C. If
we went out for a few hours, we each took a bottle of water drawn from this
to drink if we needed it. What really surprised me about Germany was that
you could buy alcohol at a petrol (gas) station 24 hours a day, and it cost
almost nothing compared with the UK. The wild boar gave me a bit of a shock
too.

Maybe it's a regional thing. When I was there it was very cold and rainy, and
everyone made very clear to me that I was not to drink our kitchen tap water,
although that was probably just people being silly. At restaurants, getting a
class of water was, as I mentioned, rather unsatisfactory. In the US, water
is implied along with whatever else you order, so I always forgot to order it
right away, and then the non-pushy nature of the waitstaff made it really hard
to order it afterward.

The tap water where I live is delicious, but I dislike the water at work
enough that I actually fill up bottles at home and bring them to work.

Wild boar?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 1st 05, 10:09 PM
Christina Websell

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Wild boar?

Yep. All over the place in the forest. Remember this was out in the
sticks. Nüle calls them wild pigs, but they are what we know here as wild
boar. Hairy brown piggies, tusks and a nasty temper.
In Germany they mainly come out at night. I thought I wanted to see some,
so we went out and sat by a pond just outside the village. Not that it
would have mattered if we were *in* the village, it's almost deserted - 20
houses or so over a large area.
Dusk approached. Lots of bats were insect-catching over the surface of the
pond. Then I heard a sort of crashing in the undergrowth noise. Quite
close. Then I decided I wanted to go home without seeing a wild boar ;-)
So we did!

Tweed

Old March 1st 05, 10:52 PM
L. (usenetlyn)

Christina Websell wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Wild boar?

Yep. All over the place in the forest. Remember this was out in the

sticks. N=FCle calls them wild pigs, but they are what we know here

as wild
boar. Hairy brown piggies, tusks and a nasty temper.
In Germany they mainly come out at night. I thought I wanted to see

some,
so we went out and sat by a pond just outside the village. Not that

it
would have mattered if we were *in* the village, it's almost deserted

- 20
houses or so over a large area.
Dusk approached. Lots of bats were insect-catching over the surface

of the
pond. Then I heard a sort of crashing in the undergrowth noise.

Quite
close. Then I decided I wanted to go home without seeing a wild boar

;-)
So we did!

Tweed

Oh, this reminds me of the time I was chased by a sow and her piglets.
We had just pulled up to a hiking area near a ranch, and were coming up
from the bottom of a ravine, up the hill. Over the crest comes Momma
pig and her 13 - yes - 13 BIG piglets - and she was NOT happy! She
eyed me and then took off running toward me. I, in the mean time,
realized that this was not a Good Situation, was running toward the car
and screaming but nothing was coming out. My friend realized what was
happening and she got into the car before I did - I couldn't get the
door open so had to run around the car at the last second and jumped
into the back seat. Momma pig stopped short of the car, sniffed a few
times and then called her piglets off - and mosied over to a nearby
apple tree for lunch. I swear to god, I have never been as scared as I
was that day - not even when I was once attacked by a dog while
cycling.

-L.

Old March 1st 05, 11:47 PM
Mary

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:

Care to tell us more about your favorite German dishes? I only know
what Mama cooked and what I had at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich!

Only if you don't mock my German spelling ... which is atrocious ...

Yours is better than mine, I'm sure.

Schweinehaxe, um, hamhock? Big joint of pig with lots of fat

Sauerkraut with pork, the pork having been cooked in the kraut till it's
falling apart

Yep, this was Mama's fav, and we all still make it every Christmas
right alongside the Turkey and Ham. You have to use fresh sauerkraut
from the refrigerated section, and you HAVE to add a pinch of sugar,
and you absolutely HAVE to use at least some pork chops that have
bones because they add flavor and mellow the sauerkraut. What's neat
is that you can skim all the fat off after it is refrigerated.

Goulash, although I guess that's technically hungarian

Never had it.

Breakfast of Broetchen (rolls) with butter and lunch meat. The lunch meat

is
just plain better in Germany. I think it's all the fat ... and the butter

is
better, too!

Never had it!

Jaegerschnitzel!

What is this?

Dampfknoedel ... these are these um, um ... hrm. I think it's dough that

is
fried in a pan, so that the bottoms are crispy and salty while the rest of
them are soft and almost sweet.

Ooo, comfort food!

Oh, geez. This is killing me. No more!

lol