Please let me properly introduce myself

Old March 2nd 05, 10:09 AM
Debbie Wilson

Napoleon wrote:

I've been told there's an organic version of a chocolate and hazelnut
spread made in Britain by Black & Green's that's better than Nutella,
but I've never been able to find it in a store.

Here you go - (it's actually Green & Black's) - here is their website:
http://www.greenandblacks.com/other.php

For USA availability they offer this advice:
http://www.greenandblacks.com/usa.php

Their stuff is gorgeous. And (following on from the 'healthy eating'
chocolate covered banana) because their chocolate is organic, it must be
very good for you! ;-))

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 2nd 05, 10:11 AM
Debbie Wilson

Debbie Wilson wrote:

Sorry - that shouldn't have made it out of my outbox :-\

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 2nd 05, 10:35 AM
HRFLTiger

OK,

I SO didn't need to know about those websites! ;o)

Helen M, fighting an additction to Green and Blacks chocolate...

Old March 2nd 05, 02:21 PM
Mary

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
.. .
Napoleon wrote:

I've been told there's an organic version of a chocolate and hazelnut
spread made in Britain by Black & Green's that's better than Nutella,
but I've never been able to find it in a store.

Here you go - (it's actually Green & Black's) - here is their website:
http://www.greenandblacks.com/other.php

For USA availability they offer this advice:
http://www.greenandblacks.com/usa.php

Their stuff is gorgeous. And (following on from the 'healthy eating'
chocolate covered banana) because their chocolate is organic, it must be
very good for you! ;-))

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

What a great sig!

Old March 2nd 05, 02:24 PM
Mary

"HRFLTiger" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK,

I SO didn't need to know about those websites! ;o)

Helen M, fighting an additction to Green and Blacks chocolate...

Oh, man, we are in the same boat. Our local Freshmarket
carries this stuff I just found out, and I am going later today.
Beeeg trouble.

Old March 2nd 05, 03:22 PM
Debbie Wilson

Mary wrote:

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
.. .

What a great sig!

Thank you :-)) Somehow it appealed to me, when thinking lovingly of all
the semi-ferals I've fostered over the years...

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 2nd 05, 06:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-01, Christina Websell penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Wild boar?

Yep. All over the place in the forest. Remember this was out in the
sticks. Nüle calls them wild pigs, but they are what we know here as wild
boar. Hairy brown piggies, tusks and a nasty temper. In Germany they
mainly come out at night. I thought I wanted to see some, so we went out
and sat by a pond just outside the village. Not that it would have mattered
if we were *in* the village, it's almost deserted - 20 houses or so over a
large area. Dusk approached. Lots of bats were insect-catching over the
surface of the pond. Then I heard a sort of crashing in the undergrowth
noise. Quite close. Then I decided I wanted to go home without seeing a
wild boar ;-) So we did!

Tweed

Sounds exciting!

I don't think I've ever seen one in person. I'd imagine they're pretty
unpredictable; I wouldn't want to see one in person.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 2nd 05, 07:07 PM
Christina Websell

On 2005-03-01, Christina Websell penned:

[...]

I thought I did. When I heard crashing around only about 8 feet behind me
was when I decided I didn't!
It is very flat in that part of Germany, lots of "fields" which are
cultivated, but all surrounded by belts of forest. In these fields are
wooden towers with a hut on the top. This is so that the farmers can shoot
the wild boar if/ when they are eating too much of their crops.

There is a dried herb factory only a few miles away, so lots of farmers grow
parsley, chives etc. We often got behind a slow moving tractor with a huge
trailer overflowing with chives, the smell was delicious. The soil is very
sandy, ideal for herbs and they grow lots of potatoes too.

There isn't much work around there, so it's quite handy for the villagers to
nip out and get a few potatoes, carrots, and herbs for dinner ;-)

Tweed

Old March 2nd 05, 07:08 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-01, Mary penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:

Goulash, although I guess that's technically hungarian

Never had it.

Yummy beef dish. The beef should be so thoroughly cooked that it's falling
apart. A great winter food.

Here's a discussion of the properties of a good goulash:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/hungarian/gulyas.html

However, I keep seeing mention of potatoes and I've never had a goulash with
potatoes, not my mom's, not in Germany, not in German restaurants in the
States.

This reminds me of a great soup I had in Germany last year, Soljanka. I think
of it kind of like hot and sour soup, German style. The only recipes I can
find are in German.

Jaegerschnitzel!

What is this?

"Hunter Schnitzel." As a kid I liked the plain Wiener Schnitzel, which is
just breaded veal, but the hunter version is smothered in a brown sauce with
mushrooms.

Here's a picture of the Weiner stuff:

http://www.qedata.se/bilder/galleri/wien-schnitzel.jpg

I hadn't remembered it was veal. Sigh. Guess I'm not eating that anymore.

Dampfknoedel ... these are these um, um ... hrm. I think it's dough
that is fried in a pan, so that the bottoms are crispy and salty
while the rest of them are soft and almost sweet.

Ooo, comfort food!

Exactly. The only person I know of who makes them is the matriarch of our
"second family" in Germany. When I visited, she had a bunch of my favorite
foods, including Dampfknoedel.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 2nd 05, 07:17 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-02, Christina Websell penned:

I thought I did. When I heard crashing around only about 8 feet behind me
was when I decided I didn't! It is very flat in that part of Germany, lots
of "fields" which are cultivated, but all surrounded by belts of forest. In
these fields are wooden towers with a hut on the top. This is so that the
farmers can shoot the wild boar if/ when they are eating too much of their
crops.

Ah, I remember towers like that, but I never knew exactly why they were there.
I grew up in the Pfalz region.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully