I'm a giant bird!!

Old January 5th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default I'm a giant bird!!

I finally got the Africam to work, and it's driving Baby Eyes wild! She's
been racing around looking for the birds, and, not finding any, she has
apparently decided that *I* am a giant bird, and she's pretending to eat me.
I kid you not!

As cute as she always is, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen her do.
She walks up to me and asks for pettins, which of course she gets, but in
the middle of it she takes hold of my hand with her mouth and starts
"killing" it.

If you've ever watched a cat eating prey they have just killed, you've seen
this type of chewing, where they rip off a piece of meat and then turn the
head kind of sideways, and narrow the eyes, and chew. This is what Baby Eyes
has been doing to my hand, over and over again. The part where she rips a
piece of meat (off my hand) is done very, very gently. And after she has
"eaten" a few bites of me, she stops "eating" and spends a minute or so
licking my hand as if to make amends for pretending to tear it to shreds.

At one point I had to use both hands for something else, so she started
doing the same thing to my knee. And any of the other cats who've come
around since she got into this mood have also been "killed and eaten".

It's like the sounds of the birds from the Africam have awakened the
sleeping lion.

Old January 5th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lisakatt

I'm a giant bird!!
by "Pat" Jan 5, 2007 at 02:10 AM

[...]

_ _ _ _ _

LOL!
Elisabet

Old January 5th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Pat wrote:
I finally got the Africam to work, and it's driving Baby Eyes wild! She's
been racing around looking for the birds, and, not finding any, she has
apparently decided that *I* am a giant bird, and she's pretending to eat me.
I kid you not!

Makes me remember our dearest RB girls Fugazi and Isis who used to
watch telly and one day were watching a wildlife documentary when the
picture came up suddenly of a Golden Eagle! They both jumped and ran
for it!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old January 5th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Lesley wrote:
Pat wrote:
I finally got the Africam to work, and it's driving Baby Eyes wild!
She's been racing around looking for the birds, and, not finding
any, she has apparently decided that *I* am a giant bird, and she's
pretending to eat me. I kid you not!

Makes me remember our dearest RB girls Fugazi and Isis who used to
watch telly and one day were watching a wildlife documentary when the
picture came up suddenly of a Golden Eagle! They both jumped and ran
for it!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

They weren't daft. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old January 6th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Lesley wrote:

Makes me remember our dearest RB girls Fugazi and Isis who used to
watch telly and one day were watching a wildlife documentary when the
picture came up suddenly of a Golden Eagle! They both jumped and ran
for it!

Frank once watched a small bird on a wildlife show. It was walking on
the ground. When it took flight, Frank tried to jump after it. Then he
went behind the TV to look for it. Some claim that cats don't see what's
on the TV screen, but that proved to me they do see it perfectly well.

Old January 6th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Marina" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:

Makes me remember our dearest RB girls Fugazi and Isis who used to
watch telly and one day were watching a wildlife documentary when the
picture came up suddenly of a Golden Eagle! They both jumped and ran
for it!

Frank once watched a small bird on a wildlife show. It was walking on the
ground. When it took flight, Frank tried to jump after it. Then he went
behind the TV to look for it. Some claim that cats don't see what's on the
TV screen, but that proved to me they do see it perfectly well.

Yes, Holly sometimes watches and reacts to the TV. It also depends on what
is on the screen. In other words, not every movement will attract her, but
pictures of birds (and sometimes other animals) will. That is especially
true when it is on the little TV beside my computer monitor because she sits
right beside my keyboard and therefore is close to the screen.

MaryL

Old January 6th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

MaryL wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:
[...]

Oh! I just remembered! Miranda isn't interested in wildlife shows
(except sometimes if there are birds chirping, and then she's attracted
to the sound, not the image), but around Yule I stumbled on her
favourite show by accident. I was channel-surfing, and came upon a
children's program with two very simply drawn stick men that were just
walking along, going up or down escalators, etc. Miranda was fascinated!
But then, she loves string, and maybe the stick figures looked to her
like moving string. It was so funny, she sat right up with her nose
against the screen and tilted her head this way and that.

Old January 6th 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:
At one point I had to use both hands for something else, so she started
doing the same thing to my knee. And any of the other cats who've come
around since she got into this mood have also been "killed and eaten".

It's like the sounds of the birds from the Africam have awakened the
sleeping lion.

That's so funny! She's such a funny cat. But the really funny thing
is that we can talk about entire families being "killed and eaten" and
find it cute and adorable.

I wish I could also experience getting killed and eaten. But in the
adorable pretend way of course, not in the Mutual of Omaha way.

Old January 6th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Frank once watched a small bird on a wildlife show. It was walking on
the ground. When it took flight, Frank tried to jump after it. Then he
went behind the TV to look for it. Some claim that cats don't see what's
on the TV screen, but that proved to me they do see it perfectly well.

Cats definitely see what's on TV. (And the computer screen, too!) Dogs
might not see TV quite as well, so maybe that's what some people are
thinking of.

I get such a kick out of watching one of my cats get riveted to the TV.
Usually it happens when I'm watching a show about cats.

Which reminds me, I taped a program from Animal Planet last night called
"Growing Up Black Leopard". This is one of a series of shows (called
"Growing Up various animals"), and it's usually about an orphaned
baby, or a baby that needed to be separated from its mother for some
reason, being hand-raised by humans in their home, usually a married
couple and family. The show is taped over several months' time, so as
the hour-long program progresses, you see the animal getting bigger and
bigger.

I started the taping at the beginning of the show, when the baby
leopard was about 6 weeks old. He was so adorable - about the size
of a regular adult house cat - but with the carriage and demeanor
of a kitten. A giant, very clumsy kitten, with a giant sense of
entitlement and ownership of the world.

Think I'll go watch it now...

Joyce
Old January 6th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Takayuki" wrote

I wish I could also experience getting killed and eaten. But in the
adorable pretend way of course, not in the Mutual of Omaha way.

You would need a cat who's nutty in precisely the same way as Baby Eyes is,
and I'm not sure you could find one, except by the remotest chance accident,
that started off being hand-raised along with one other kitten by a single
female horse farmer who's also nutty in a certain specific manner and has a
kitten-hating female onlycat and two very goofy dogs. But I fear that even
if you did find such a cat, there is no guarantee it would ever pretend to
kill and eat you.