cat food brands affected by the recall

Old March 17th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Default cat food brands affected by the recall

Norm wrote:
http://menufoods.com/recall/

I had originally not paid much attention to this, since the news said it
was for "supermarket brands", which we do not use. I was shocked to see
it includes Nutro food, which is our staple wet food.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 17th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Norm[_2_]

http://menufoods.com/recall/

ALso, the Associatedpress.com site has a more detailed article on the
recall altho menufoods does not know aht caused the troubles. Norm

Old March 17th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JB

In ,
Victor Martinez shouted to everyone in earshot,
I had originally not paid much attention to this, since the news said it
was for "supermarket brands", which we do not use. I was shocked to see
it includes Nutro food, which is our staple wet food.

likewise all around. I even have a batch of pouches that's similar to
a batch listed in the Nutro spreadsheet. the production date is one
day off, and the UPCs are identical except that the final digit on the
pouch (lower-right corner of the UPC, away from the bar code) is not
present in the UPC on the spreadsheet. I'm *guessing* that these
pouches were made at a different facility (not one of the two that is
known to have produced the bad food) one day later than the affected
lot, but Saturday Night Pouches are canceled until I can get a
straight answer from someone. I've only used 4 pouches from this box
(given to 3 different cats), so that's not enough evidence for me to
assume these pouches are safe just yet.

I'm *really* glad cans weren't affected as well. I'd have a mutiny on
my hands if I couldn't feed that stuff. better than trips to the
emergency vet and other such ugliness, though.

Jeff

--
obligatory cat pics: http://web.mr-happy.com/pets/
Old March 17th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

JB wrote:
I'm *really* glad cans weren't affected as well. I'd have a mutiny on
my hands if I couldn't feed that stuff. better than trips to the
emergency vet and other such ugliness, though.

Nutro cans are not affected? Yay!!! Basho would probably starve to death
if we stopped buying his California Chicken Supreme, it's about the only
food he'll always eat.
Now off to catalogue our cat pantry and see what needs to go.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 17th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Victor Martinez wrote:
Now off to catalogue our cat pantry and see what needs to go.

The pouches we have have the affected UPC code, but not the best by
date, looks like we're safe. I'm not sure if I want to feed them to the
crew though...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 17th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JB

In ,
Victor Martinez shouted to everyone in earshot,
The pouches we have have the affected UPC code, but not the best by
date, looks like we're safe. I'm not sure if I want to feed them to the
crew though...

the UPC is specific to the product (the variety in this case) and
probably doesn't ever change by lot. I have one box of pouches with
the same UPC and a best-by date of Oct. '08. that should have been
made in Oct '06, which is well before the problem lots were
manufactured (and there are indeed no best-by dates in the list that
are too near the one on these pouches), so I'm going to continue
feeding from that box once I have some safe pouches for the cats who
eat the other variety from my questionable box. (there'll be trouble
if some get pouches and some don't.)

the best-by date seems to be about two years off from the manufacture
date in general, and I probably wouldn't worry about anything that
wasn't made between November '06 and March '07. but they're your
kids, of course, so I can't *really* tell you to not worry. gotta do
what you feel is safe.

Jeff

--
obligatory cat pics: http://web.mr-happy.com/pets/
Old March 17th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

JB wrote:
the best-by date seems to be about two years off from the manufacture
date in general, and I probably wouldn't worry about anything that
wasn't made between November '06 and March '07. but they're your
kids, of course, so I can't *really* tell you to not worry. gotta do
what you feel is safe.

Yeah, we only have about 20 pouches left, so I think I'm just going to
toss them. Better safe than sorry.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 17th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Victor Martinez wrote:
JB wrote:
the best-by date seems to be about two years off from the manufacture
date in general, and I probably wouldn't worry about anything that
wasn't made between November '06 and March '07. but they're your
kids, of course, so I can't *really* tell you to not worry. gotta do
what you feel is safe.

Yeah, we only have about 20 pouches left, so I think I'm just going to
toss them. Better safe than sorry.

I guess this is the one time I'm thankful Persia has to eat rather pricey
prescription food! Yes, Victor, better safe than sorry!

Jill

Old March 18th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BlueBird

"Norm" wrote in message
http://menufoods.com/recall/

ALso, the Associatedpress.com site has a more detailed article on the
recall altho menufoods does not know aht caused the troubles. Norm

I can't stay and play (wish that I could!!!), but I did want to mention that
I had a cat that was switched to Eukanuba which I was a bit dubious about.
I've always fed my cats Science Diet both dry and wet cat food since I first
began to be enamored with cats !!!!! And that's many years ago. Well, I
only switched that one cat and came VERY close to losing him. My quick
response and a very good vet saved his life but he will be on meds for the
rest of his life. Since that happened even though it costs more and I'm on
SSD I still feed the Science Diet, thanks to a very sweet, caring friend who
is an animal lover who buys all of my cat food !!!!!!!

Good to see all of your names. I just stopped by for a RPCA 'fix'. (G)

Cheryle
aka BlueBird

Old March 18th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I had a cat that was switched to Eukanuba which I was a bit dubious about.
I've always fed my cats Science Diet both dry and wet cat food since I first
began to be enamored with cats !!!!! And that's many years ago. Well, I
only switched that one cat and came VERY close to losing him. My quick
response and a very good vet saved his life but he will be on meds for the
rest of his life. Since that happened even though it costs more and I'm on
SSD I still feed the Science Diet, thanks to a very sweet, caring friend who
is an animal lover who buys all of my cat food !!!!!!!

What sort of illness did the Eukanuba cause, and how?