My cat Mitzi's health

Old September 11th 04, 01:40 PM
RMM

Default My cat Mitzi's health

Hi everyone in this NG - I have two cats, both six and a half years.
Mitzi, grey female, has always been the most delicate of the two and
had seizures when younger, although she hasn't had one to my knowledge
for almost two years and I give her a quarter of phenobarbitone twice
a day, according to the vets instruction. She's always eaten mostly
dry food and wouldn't look at the other cat's preferences, tinned food
and lightly cooked fish. Just recently, however, she's taken to the
fish, which was a big surprise considering her distaste for it
originally, and now she sits by her dish and 'demands' it several
times a day. When I give her some she eats a few mouthfuls as though
starving, wanders away, but soon comes back demanding a new lot. I
feel I can't put this down to awkwardness as she doesn't seem too
happy generally, has changed former habits, sleeps less, and is just
not so 'happy'. I've given both cats worm tablets, and this made no
difference at all. I've also decided to take her to the vet next week,
but in the meantime I wondered if anyone here thinks this is a sign of
something more problematical or if it's fairly usual for cats to
change habit around this age. In addition, she's an especially needy
cat as regards petting and routine, and this hasn't changed except
that there's something a little more intense about her manner. Any
ideas would be very welcome.

Rosie M.
Old September 11th 04, 09:03 PM
jamie

You gave her worming pills for changes in behavior, with no evidence
of worms? WTF?

Changes in her eating, activity and personality habits mean it's
time for a check-up.

While it could be any number of health problems affecting her eating
habits, both my cats did what you describe -- eat a few bites as if
starving, walk away, and come back frequently for a few bites more
-- when the previous vet missed that they each had a couple of badly
painful teeth, and tartar buildup on the back teeth making their gums
sore. They both needed teeth cleaning and a couple of teeth pulled.
They were hungry, but it hurt them to eat.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."