new friends for adult kitties

Old November 13th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default new friends for adult kitties

We have a 6 year old female cat that we are getting a kitten companion
for. We have encountered some people that believe we need two kittens
in order to give the adult a break from playtime while still occupying
the kitten. Help, we need to make a decision soon!

Old November 13th 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 12, 7:44 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

We have a 6 year old female cat that we are getting a kitten companion
for. We have encountered some people that believe we need two kittens
in order to give the adult a break from playtime while still occupying
the kitten. Help, we need to make a decision soon!

Adopt as many as you can take but be upfront with the knowledge that some
cats are one kitty cats only. Best of luck the localshelter will love
litter mates to be taken home together

THat is what I think. This person should make sure her existing cat
will be happy with other cats in the house. Maybe borrow or foster a
cat.

Old November 13th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Aaack. I inadvertently hit the wrong button.

Don't know where my reply went, so if it went nowhere, I am posting
again...

(Maybe didn't help that the kitten ran across my keyboard around that
time. How he managed to hit so many keys with only four paws...)

There are some very good reasons for getting two kittens for a six
year old cat. The six year old might find one kitten to be harassment,
since the one kitten can't help but target the older cat for play and
interaction, and the older cat is dealing with enough right now.

Two kittens take the pressure off, as I wrote in this post:

http://wayofcats.blogspot.com/2007/1...more-cats.html

And introduce properly! Put the kittens in another room while the
older cat is geting used to the idea. Don't let the older cat in until
their curiosity is unbearable, and that will help override their
misgivings.