My trip diary, Part 2

Old September 29th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default My trip diary, Part 2

Here's part 2 of my trip diary. It's shorter than part 1 and there are no
accompanying pictures. That's because I was so busy having fun with my
friend Di that I forgot to take pictures, and I didn't write so much. When
you're alone in a hotel room in the evening, you tend to write more than
when you have someone to talk to.

Wednesday, September 8 - It was sunny and warm when I left Alice. It was
cloudy and cool, but not rainy, when I got to Adelaide. The girl at the desk
had said they'd serve a light snack on the plane, so I bought a sandwich and
water in the airport, and ate before boarding. They actually served lunch on
the plane, so I saved the sandwich they gave me and put it in Di's freezer.
I hope I remember it when I leave her house. It might come in handy later.

It was nice to see Di again, but her cat Jemma seems to be ambivalent about
me. She let me pet her, then snapped at me. Later, when we were watching TV,
she laid in my lap and rubbed her head against my hand. After a while, she
got down. A couple minutes later, she came back up, and when I started to
pet her, she chomped down hard. It really hurt. Once the pain subsided, I
found I have two puncture marks on the top of my wrist, and two on the side.
Blood didn't flow, but she broke the skin all four places.

Thursday, September 9 - It rained hard during the night, and is still
drizzling a bit now.
I have a very sore wrist, and it's painful to do some things with my right
hand. Luckily, using the computer doesn't seem to be one of them. As long as
I don't turn the wrist, it's okay. It got better as the day went on.

Di's neighbor came over with some concert tickets she couldn't use, and we
went to the concert in the afternoon. It was part of a series of concerts
for senior citizens, and was very good. The main performer was a woman who
played piano and sang. She had written several songs, and sang a few
familiar ones, sometimes with different, humorous words in spots. She had
two guest performers, one of whom was a classical guitarist who accompanied
her as she sang "Rainbow Connection", which I'd only heard previously sung
by Kermit the Frog in "The Muppet Movie". Her other guest was a man who
played an electrical guitar and sang bits of several songs, doing clever
imitations of various singers including Elvis and Louis Armstrong. The man
was the member of a well-known rock and roll band in the 50s.

I had a nap afterward.

This evening I went to what I thought was a Toastmasters meeting but turned
out to be an Area contest - humorous and evaluation. Di had planned to go
with me, but she had some legal papers to look over, so she dropped me off
and picked me up afterward. A woman at the contest invited us to her house
for dinner on Saturday. The contest was very enjoyable, but long.

Tomorrow we may go to the agricultural show (fair) if the weather is good.

Saturday, September 10 - We did go to the agricultural show. It was
something like our county fair, but different, too. We watched the South
Australia Police band, and later saw them in a parade. We also saw a show
called Blooming Amazing, which was. A woman spends hours and hours sewing
costumes, which are mostly flowers but which also included a rabbit and a
koala. The models wearing the costumes walked the runway, did a little
dancing, and there was a fair amount of comic action involved.

We also saw a sheep-shearing contest, a wood-chopping contest, a parade of
utes (basically pickup trucks with hard covers on the backs,. We also saw an
amazing show by the Toyota Hylux Heroes. They did close formation driving,
backward driving, and a lot of amazing stunt driving in general. We watched
a sheep-herding contest, too. I had a roast beef roll (sliced roast beef on
a hot dog bun) and some lovely fresh fruit punch. Later I had an ice cream
cone. Di had a Dagwood Dog, which was a huge corn dog. We also had scones,
and I got some fairy floss (cotton candy) to bring home.
We rode the O-bahn coming and going. It's an articulated bus that goes
partly on the streets and partly on rails. I remembered riding it with Di's
friend Brian the first time I came to Adelaide, when he took me to a
Toastmasters meeting.

I really enjoyed the fair, but it was closing day, and there must have been
literally thousands of people there. It was also very noisy. It got a bit
chilly at times, but it wasn't hot, and it didn't rain, so we felt
fortunate.

Sunday, September 12 - We went to Di's church - the church of St. Mark the
Evangelist. It's Anglican. There were all sorts of refreshments after
church. We ate some so we wouldn't have to bother with lunch.

We went back and goofed off a bit, then left for the high tea, which was
clear across town. It was almost an hour before they brought anything but
tea and coffee. There was water on the table. Finally they brought
beautifully arranged tiered trays of goodies. There were finger sandwiches
on the bottom tier, three kinds of desserts in the middle, and scones on
top. They also brought out dishes of jam and whipped cream. The sandwiches
were okay, the desserts a little better, but the scones with jam and cream
were great!

It was about 5:00 by the time we got back to Di's house. I'd have loved a
nap, but decided I'd better do some packing. I realized I'd brought too many
books, so I gave Di four of them.

After that, I played a bit on the computer, and then Di made toasted
sandwiches - cheese & tomato and some kind of fairly hot chili. That was all
we needed. I wasn't really hungry, but I'd probably have been hungry by
bedtime. We had small cups of ice cream for dessert.

We watched TV for a while, then went to bed early, since we figured we
needed to get up at 5:30.
Monday, September 13 - I woke up before my alarm went off. I also woke up
several times during the night.

We were ready to leave about 10 to 6. There was traffic, but it moved. We
got to the airport before 8:00. I checked my bags and got my boarding pass.
I visited the loo and bought some water. Now I'm just waiting. We're
supposed to board at 9:10.

The wait didn't really seem very long. For the first time, my row was full,
and the man in the window seat got out once, but the flight wasn't bad. They
were selling food, so I was glad I had brought my own water and the sandwich
they gave us on the flight to Adelaide, which Di had remembered to take out
of the freezer. I knew there was half an hour time difference between
Adelaide and Cairns, but I had calculated the time change in the wrong
direction, so the flight I thought would take 3 ½ hours only took 2 ½.

I was able to get a shuttle to my hotel for only $18.50 round trip, which is
much better than the $67 one way I paid in Sydney. Of course the hotel is
closer, but even so . I had a little trouble finding the entrance to the
hotel, but once I did, check-in was easy. My room is on the second (third)
floor, as far from the elevator as you can go. The good thing about it is
that I passed the laundry on the way to my room. After I settled in, I tried
to call to confirm my night zoo tour, but couldn't get an answer. I called
the desk and the girl there said if I came down, she'd try. She found the
right number and confirmed it. I also got change for the laundry. Then I
came back up and did my laundry. I still had a little time to rest before my
tour.

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Old September 29th 10, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Joy, thank you very much for sharing your trip. I'm really enjoying reading
your account. If you speak as you write, you must be an interesting
speaker, warm, intelligent, no words wasted.
Karla

Old September 29th 10, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"karla" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thank you for those kind words, Karla. If what you say is true, I can thank
Toastmasters. Our speeches are timed, and usually fairly short (5-7 minutes
for most) and we learn to eliminate unnecessary words to fit within our
allotted time.

Joy

Old September 29th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

I meant to post this to the first thread on this. I *love* your writing
style. It's a rare author who can "take me out of myself" and make me feel
like I'm there experiencing what I'm only reading about - and you nailed it.
I appreciate this *SO* much since being inside of myself sucks. ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

. ..

Old September 29th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Wow! Thank you, CatNipped! Your post will go in my "nice things" file - a
computer pile where I put things people have said that make me feel really
good. Then, any time I'm feeling down, I can read that file.

--

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I meant to post this to the first thread on this. I *love* your writing
style. It's a rare author who can "take me out of myself" and make me feel
like I'm there experiencing what I'm only reading about - and you nailed
it. I appreciate this *SO* much since being inside of myself sucks. ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

. ..