Snippets from the Mouser Novel

Old May 5th 13, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

Default Snippets from the Mouser Novel

Hey there folks,

As promised here is a snippet from Chapter Five of my in progress novel, Tale of The Mouser.

Brief summary, Trouble has just passed training and has been accepted to the crew of the pirate ship, The Flying Mouser. Along with his buddies, Calvin and Stanley, he joins cats from all over the globe as they ready the ship for launch.

It was the day before the launch. Everyone was working to finish up the loading and getting the Flying Mouser ready to sail in anticipation for the big launch party that evening. A large area near the docks was cornered off with ropes and booths and tables for refreshments were being set up. Lanterns were stretched up on high poles and torches and other decorations were hung.
Meanwhile in the hold Trouble, was helping Calvin and Stanley shove another massive box into the, under Shadow's supervision.
“So I heard there's gonna be a CREAM bar at the party.” said Calvin. “And that they'll have varieties from all over the world.”
“And my mom got permission from the bakery to make more oatmeal mackerel cookies too, along with cheese cream puffs and tuna flavored sandwich cookies.”
“Oh, that sounds soooo yummy. I also heard there's gonna be special Catnip Punch, too!” said Stanley.
“That catnip punch is for the ADULTS. You kits are too young for that and I don't know if Captain Pine Cone is gonna allow you to have any. And you kits won't get to taste anything at all, if you keep up at this speed.” said Shadow. The kits went back to pushing the box when another cat came down into the hold.
“Psst, Shadow.” he said. Shadow turned.
“Oh hey, Caliban. How's tricks?”
“I just got word.” said Caliban, his eyes shining. “The Feral is back in town.”
Shadow's ears perked up. “He IS?” he said in astonishment. “Rumor had it that he was on some trading trip and wasn't going to make the launch.”
“Well he's back, and he's going to bring his cart tonight. Spread the word.” Caliban looked at over at the kits and winked and then disappeared up the ladder.
“Who is the Feral?” asked Trouble. Calvin and Stanley looked at him in amazement.
“You DON'T know who he is?” said Calvin.
“He's only the most resourceful cat in the entire town!” said Stanley.
“Then why haven't I heard of him?”
“Because you're a farm cat, stupid.”
“Don't call me stupid!”
“ENOUGH!!” shouted Shadow. The kits all looked at him.
“The Feral is this Tomcat that travels all around the world. He collects objects and knick knacks and other 'special' merchandise and goes around selling them.”
“What's so special about it?” asked Trouble.
“They usually are rare and hard to find items. I once saw him get Persia, the cook, some rare sushi from Japan. He got Doc Stinky this special salve made in India to use on wounds and I even saw him get Captain Pine Cone some special catnip. From Cuba, of all places.”
“Wow....” said Calvin. “Catnip from CUBA?”
“He has some really great stuff and can get you almost anything, but it comes at a price. Also he tends to 'embellish' how good his products are. He can make ordinary junk seem like it was previously owned by royalty. Sometimes he's been known to take advantage of small kittens. Last year, two kits bought this special cream that he told them would repel water. Turned out it was just flour and cream. By the time Captain Pine Cone heard about it, we were already at sea and the Feral was long gone. He has a tiny shop somewhere in town, but he almost always is on some trip so he's really hard to contact.”
Calvin turned to Stanley and said, “We need to make sure we run home before the party to get some money. You too, Trouble.”
“Um, I don't have any money.” said Trouble.
“Really?” said Stanley. “Well we've been saving parts of our allowance for months, and we could help you out.”
“You could also ask First Mate Tiger if you can take it out of your pay,” said Shadow. “But remember we'll be making stops on our voyage as well. You don't want to spend everything before we even ship out. Now, don't worry about the Feral, let's get back to work.”
Meanwhile, Captain Pine Cone and his chief of security, Rosco were leaving the ship and headed into town. First they made a quick stop at the local Cattery Bank and Savings. Then they headed downtown, to the more seedy areas.. Here the cats lurked in alleyways, playing games like Cats in the Cradle, and Russian Roulette Mice. But Captain Pine Cone was no stranger to areas like these. As he boldly walked down the street, cats got out of his way and even the rougher cats avoided his gaze. Captain Pine Cone's reputation was well known and he was a pirate cat that you did NOT mess with.
They finally stopped in front of a giant water tank, with a delicate scratch pattern on the front. It was special cat marks, marking the location of a merchant. Captain Pine Cone approached the door and could hear a voice from within. “Oh come now, dearie, don't mean to tell me you're not a NATURAL blonde.” Captain Pine slapped the bell hanging over the doorway.
“Go AWAY!” said the voice from within. “We're CLOSED.”
“I'm here to see the Feral.” Said Captain Pine Cone.
“EVERYONE wants to see the Feral.” said the voice. “But right now the Feral is seeing anyone. Now go away.”
Rosco banged on the door. “Is he took busy to see Captain Pine Cone?”
There was a brief silence, followed by a mild scuffle inside and then the door opened. A very pretty, female cat exited the tank, and gave Captain Pine Cone a wink. His eyes followed her briefly for a moment, before turning back to see a sleek looking Siamese oozing out into the doorway. “Captain Pine Cone...” he said. “It's been a long time, DO come inside.” Captain Pine Cone strolled in, and after a cautionary glance around, Sheriff Rosco followed.
Inside the water tank were shelves and more shelves of ornate objects and random junk. Boxes upon boxes stacked to the sky of seemingly miscellaneous items filled the space. The Feral smiled and moved around the tank like a seamless shadow.
“And what do I owe the pleasure of this visit.” said the Feral. “Don't tell me you're in need of MY services....perhaps looking for something special?” He quickly disappeared behind a box and appeared with his paws full of glowing balls. “Twinkle balls from the Northern Lights?”
“No, not today, Feral. I'm here for...” but the Feral had disappeared again and quickly reappeared, this time he appeared draped in golden strings.
“How about these Golden Laces from New York City? I have a Persian who was owned by a human on the chorus line...lovely queen...in fact they both were...”
“No, thank you. I came here to...” But the Feral has disappeared again.. Captain Pine Cone, let out an exasperated sigh as the Feral reappeared in front of him, this time wrapped in a blanket.
“Or how about this? Australian fleece....made from the best sheep from Down Under...come on, I'm sure your coming voyage would be much better, wrapped luxury.”
“That's what I'm here to talk about, Feral.” “Oh, but you have to see......” Captain Pine Cone reached out a paw and pinned the Feral's tail to the ground. “NOW, Feral.” he let out a small growl.
The Feral suddenly dropped what he was holding, and gulped. “Oh YES, sir.. I'm so sorry. Got carried away again. How can I help you today?”
“As you know we are going to be sailing tomorrow, and have our going away party tonight.”
“Oh yes, sir. Many fair winds and fair sailing grace your voyage.”
“Stuff it, Feral. I know you're planning on being by the docks tonight, trying to force your wares on the new landlubber recruits that are on my crew.”
“Force?” the Feral widened his eyes. “FORCE? Captain Pine Cone, I do not force anything. I merely explain the VALUE of what I'm selling. I merely lower the tension, and elevate their trust, and the product practically sells itself. I can't help it if the economy has fallen on hard times.”
“That's just the point. Some of these kits will be carrying their life savings on this voyage, and they DON'T need to be spending it on your worthless items before they even set sail.”
“Worthless? Captain, you of all people should know that my items are not worthless. What about that gold embossed catnip ball I 'acquired' for you. It's been five years, but is the scent still potent?”
“Erm...” Captain Pine Cone stammered as he remembered. “Uh, YES, in fact, I still...have it.” He shook his head back to reality. “That's not the matter at hand. I've brought you an offering.”
“An offering for ME?” Sheriff Rosco came forward, carrying a bag. He dropped it in front of the Feral, who sniffed it gingerly. “What is it?”
“I figured that even a cat like you, who has been all over the world; would know the value of 2 dozen bottles of Romulan Catnip Ale.”
The Feral gasped, and then dove headfirst into the bag. He emerged, holding a blue bottle lovingly between two paws.
“Romulan CATNIP Ale.....” he sighed happily. “Oh it's been sooooo long....” He suddenly raised an eyebrow. “And just how did YOU acquire such a delicacy?”
“Being a pirate captain has its privileges and perks.” said Captain Pine Cone. “Just remember don't consume more than half a bottle at a time.”
“Oh trust me, I'm aware of its potency.” The Feral put the bottle down and patted it gently. “And to what am I expected in return for such an illustrious gift?”
“Go easy on the kits tonight. Give them good deals, and don't push on them the useless stuff.”
“Useless? Captain, I've told you, my good are NOT...”
“I'm talking about the Anti-Dog spray and the Water Repellent.”
“Oh......you mean those...”
“You know that stuff is just worthless...and I will NOT have my crew cheated before they sail.”
“Captain, I told you before......” Captain Pine Cone suddenly crossed the distance across the tank in one leap, knocked the sack of Romulan Catnip Ale to the side and pinned the Feral against a box with a paw, claws extended.
“Guh! Captain!” choked the Feral. “There's NO need for violence.”
“All the same, TOMCAT,” said Captain Pine Cone. “If I see ONE member of my crew cheated out of their savings because of you; I will promptly turn my ship around, come back.....and NEUTER you myself. Am I understood??”
The Feral gulped. “Of......of COURSE...Captain Pine Cone. I'll treat every member of your crew like I would treat YOU....like I would treat my own FAMILY....This is a....business arrangement...I would be MOST happy to honor...
Captain Pine Cone let him go, and casually turned to leave. “Excellent......Oh and by the way...you have anymore of that Cuban Catnip?”
The Feral's shocked face suddenly changed to a grin... “Oh YES....right this way....”

O&C snippets Susan M Cat anecdotes 5 August 3rd 05 06:33 AM
O&C snippets (repost?) Susan M Cat anecdotes 2 August 1st 05 04:36 PM
Mere snippets Marina Cat anecdotes 5 April 3rd 05 11:14 PM
Few more snippets LOL Cat anecdotes 66 October 7th 04 01:44 AM
Small snippets LOL Cat anecdotes 23 September 30th 04 01:18 PM