OT - my work situation

Old September 24th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default OT - my work situation

Sometime ago I said I might be losing my job. For those who don't know I
work for a child protection team that is funded by our local council. The
old name for it is "Social Services"
With our new government in place who are determined to cut 9 million from
our budget, I've decided to ship out as the re-structuring that is having to
happen I want no part of. I consider it unsafe.

Unfortunately I am not old enough to retire and get a state pension, so I'll
be living on my savings for the next 3 years. I know I will be OK, I can do
frugal. I will probably have to cancel my Save the Children Fund
subscription but I did tell them when I signed up it would depend on my
circumstances.

What I will like is how thrilled Boyfriend will be to have his meowmie
around all the time and I might, at last, be able to tackle my huge garden
which has got quite out of control while I waste my time working..
I finish after 21 years at the end of October. I will lay on the settee
watching the TV for the first 2 weeks at least.
My colleagues are already worried about losing my expertise about "do we
cover this area?? and what do you know about this person?" and want to
phone me when I am gone. I say they can, but consultancy fees will apply.

Tweed

Old September 24th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your job. You've done well to plan for
this and for that I congratulate you. I also congratulate Boyfie who will
have you around full time. You'll both love that.

When I was laid off some of my former colleagues called or emailed me to
check in. What they really wanted was advice, solutions, suggestions. I
thanked them, but told them I'm no longer being paid to give them
information or advice. So yes, consultancy fees should be applied.

At that time mine was the equivalent of $45 USD per hour. You'd be surprise
how fast they ran for the hills when I suggested they pay me for answers.
Let them figure it out for themselves; it's the only way they (and the
goverment) wlll learn they screwed up. And honestly, at that point I didn't
care It won't change anything, but it may give you a feeling of
self-satisfaction and sometimes that's important.

Give Boyfie a hug for me and enjoy a couple of weeks before you worry about
this too much.

Jill

Old September 24th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Wishing you the best of luck on your retirement -=- and a litter of kittens! MLB

Old September 24th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Well, I would have said "sorry to hear this", but it sounds like it
might be rather nice to not to be working. Just think - no more dangerous
trips to work on icy roads, or worrying about getting home before dark
because you can't see at night. I think spending time in your garden,
and watching TV with Boyfie sounds wonderful! So, congratulations!!

Joyce

--
Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating
Old September 24th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Sometime ago I said I might be losing my job. For those who don't know I
work for a child protection team that is funded by our local council. The
old name for it is "Social Services"
With our new government in place who are determined to cut 9 million from
our budget, I've decided to ship out as the re-structuring that is having
to happen I want no part of. I consider it unsafe.
Tweed

I'm sorry to hear this, especially your remark about cutting expenditures
for what I consider to be an essential service. I'm very familiar with
similar cuts, of course--child protection/social services, education, etc.
We are often more willing to spend money for incarceration after problems
occur than for preventive measures. It will be nice if you are able to do
some private consultation. I retired, then was asked to come back for a
year as an adjunct, and I did enjoy that because it did not involve all the
"extra" requirements I previously needed (research, extensive reports,
etc.). Now that I'm "re-retired," I admit that I'm really enjoying it. I
hope you will also be able to enjoy your "early retirement." Also, I
commend you for saving enough that you can live on your savings for that
period of time.

MaryL

Old September 24th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I'm looking forward to it. I chose it.
I will not get up until 9 am and will never have to get up and scrape my car
windscreen free of frost - simply because I will not go out when it's that
cold!
There are upsides and downsides. I will save a huge amount on petrol for my
car per month, but I will spend a lot more on wood for my woodburner, but
there again I can keep the fire ticking over instead of coming home to a
freezing house every night and having to start it from scratch.
It will be fine, I know it. I've planned it and have 2 freezers full of
food and any amount of tins n stuff. I could withstand a siege, food wise.
The cuts in local government services were coming so I pre-empted them,
realising I did not want a part of that.
As from November 1st Boyfriend and myself will be tucked up happily at home
together with the woodburner and telly on;-)
I do not regret my decision at all. It will be hell on earth back in my
previous workplace.
I will only have to think about "hmm, should I clean out my chickens today,
can it wait until tomorrow? should I cook something nice, or vacuum my
car - or should I do none of those things..?"

I've worked full time since I was 15. It's time to let it go.
Tweed

Old September 24th 10, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

hope you will also be able to enjoy your "early retirement." Also, I
commend you for saving enough that you can live on your savings for that
period of time. MaryL

I was not able to save as much as that, I inherited enough for a frugal two
years very recently. I'll just wing it for the year after that.
Tweed

Old September 24th 10, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Sep 24, 3:41*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Boyfie contemplates your move to full-time in his service with great
anticipation. He will be thinking of more things for you to do as he
waits for the end of October.

Sounds good.

--
Will in New Haven

Old September 24th 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

hope you will also be able to enjoy your "early retirement." Also, I
commend you for saving enough that you can live on your savings for that
period of time. MaryL

I was not able to save as much as that, I inherited enough for a frugal
two years very recently. I'll just wing it for the year after that.
Tweed

Well, that's good use of your inheritance. Keep us updated.

MaryL

Old September 24th 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Will in New Haven wrote:

Boyfie contemplates your move to full-time in his service with great
anticipation. He will be thinking of more things for you to do as he
waits for the end of October.

Sounds good.

But due to the new austerity in Tweed's budget, he will have to step
up his woodpigeon hunting.

Joyce

--
I only like dreaming, all the day long