Indoor cats

Old August 18th 05, 07:38 PM

wafflycat wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I love Norfolk, I was at my cousin's place in Walberswick a few weeks
ago, it was like being on another planet, awesome.

Walberswick, that'll be Suffolk ;-) Also a lovely county, next door to
Norfolk :-) Nathan does quite a few time trials in the area. Walberswick is
lovely - bitterns on the marshes.. fishing for crabs in Walberswick water...
Very peaceful area, glorious in summer. Very Ye Olde England feel - stepping
back in time, but with astronomical property prices, as it's very des-res
these days. The north Norfolk coast is equally lovely - bits of North
Norfolk referred to as Chelsea-on-Sea due to all the media/city banking
types using astronomical amounts of money to buy up properties for second
homes - so the locals can't afford to live there any more.

Cheers, helen s

Oops, Geography was never my strong subject! The holiday place my cuz
has is in an amazing spot, right at the end of the road, across the
pub, 5 minutes from the cute little ferry boat to Southwold, and 5
minutes to the beach. Of course it rained all weekend while we were
but it was still lovely. My cousin has had the place for about 20
years, it's a little flat and it is wrong that the locals find it
expensive, but at least she spends loads of time down there, and lets
other people use it, so it's not empty and we spend money while down
there, I know what you mean though.

Old August 18th 05, 07:42 PM
Dan M

In Lincoln they have a special Dog park. It's a biiig area where people come
with their dogs and let them off to run that is all fenced in. It's right
down the street. It's extremely popular. I suspect that it is also a "great
place to meet guys/chicks". But people come in droves everyday. I was
wondering if other cities had such a place.

Even little hick towns like Highland, CA have a dog park. My brother takes
his Springer Spanile there often.

Old August 18th 05, 07:45 PM

It worked - now you just need to not crosspost ;-)

Do you mean I shouldn't send the same post to various groups? I am on
SUCH a learning curve today! I didn't realise that you weren't
supposed to, and actually that was the first time I think that I've
done it, I just thought it was something all 3 groups might wish to
debate, sorry if I've peeved anybody off. I won't be around for a
couple of days as am off to Yorkshire to see my sister who's just
arrived from Australia (Perth), it's her birthday so there's a big
gathering, I can't wait to see her, it's only been a year but I miss
her so much. I had such a nightmare getting a minder for Otis that I
nearly had to cancel my trip, so I was training a new assistant slave
last night in giving injections and tablets.

Marcia

Old August 18th 05, 08:01 PM
wafflycat

wrote in message
oups.com...

It worked - now you just need to not crosspost ;-)

Do you mean I shouldn't send the same post to various groups? I am on
SUCH a learning curve today! I didn't realise that you weren't
supposed to, and actually that was the first time I think that I've
done it, I just thought it was something all 3 groups might wish to
debate, sorry if I've peeved anybody off. I won't be around for a
couple of days as am off to Yorkshire to see my sister who's just
arrived from Australia (Perth), it's her birthday so there's a big
gathering, I can't wait to see her, it's only been a year but I miss
her so much. I had such a nightmare getting a minder for Otis that I
nearly had to cancel my trip, so I was training a new assistant slave
last night in giving injections and tablets.

Marcia

I did put a smiley - it was fairly light-hearted. It's just that this group
is remarkably free of the flaming and nastiness that can happen in other
groups. Whenever something is cross-posted to other cat groups, that's when
the flames tend to start. If you notice on the indoor cat thread, someone
was asked not to crosspost - that's why. But you aren't going to be put up
against a wall & shot if you do ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old August 18th 05, 08:07 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:34:41 -0700, Dan M yodeled:

No, America is obsessed with ligitation, or fear of litigation. Every time
someone so much as sneezes out of place, they're slapped with a lawsuit.
Well that's how it appears to us over here in the UK anyway.

It's like speed limits, they say you have to keep your speed below 30mph
in case you hit a child. What the hell is the child doing in the middle of
the road in the first place..? Don't their parents educate them..?

Ivor

I don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US the answer to that
question is "No". They trust in the schools to educate their kids, train
them in how to behave, teach them common sense, etc. My perception is that
the vast majority of US parents don't educate their kids.

My mom would say, "Not brought up, dragged up."

Theresa
Old August 18th 05, 08:30 PM
Enfilade

It really is most common (and recommended) in the US to keep cats
indoors, or at least in outdoor enclosures.

Our four are all indoors-only. Kumani and Tyche were raised indoors
from age 3 weeks on. Nocturne has shown no desire to go outside.
Smokey, who used to be a feral, actively /hates/ outside, so much that
he runs away from open windows and the balcony doors, crying and
screaming in distress.

The way I see it, a cat is not a child. She does not understand "stay
in the yard" nor does she obey shouted orders (like "look out for that
car!").

I believe that it is a pet owner's responsibility not to let their
animals, dog or cat, roam around at large where they can foul the
neighbour's lawns, upset neighbours, attack other pets, etc.

Furthermore, it is also a pet owner's responsibility not to allow their
animals into dangerous situations, and IMHO, outside (with cars, dogs,
coyotes, cougars/bobcats, and sicko humans) is a dangerous place.
Would you let your child go to the park alone in an area where you know
child molesters lived? That's why I won't let my cats out in an area
where I know coyotes live.

Now, if your cat is indoors-only, then it is your responsibility that
they get proper exercise, have toys and get playtime to keep them
stimulated and engaged and active, have open windows and the occasional
walk to get fresh air, etc.

--Fil

Old August 18th 05, 10:53 PM
polonca12000

Have a great time!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

wrote in message
oups.com...
snip I won't be around for a

Old August 18th 05, 11:01 PM

Out of curiosity, where in Yorkshire? I live near Filey.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Leeds, Roundhay Park.