Litter question

Old November 22nd 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Litter question

Just had to pop to the shop and while I was there I had to buy some
cat litter- Anyway they had wood cat litter so I thought I would give
it a try, it's light (a consideration when you have to cart the stuff
with a bad shoulder), dust free and environmentally friendly and not
hugely expensive and anyway the Fabulous Furballs main rule to date
about what they excrete into is that it has to be clean they've
happily used clumping, non-clumping, antibacterial, Fullers earth,
that white stuff that looks like chopped ice etc with no problem.as I
say they don't seem to mind what I use so long as it's clean

So I opened the bag and my first thought was if I put the stuff in a
china bowl it could pass as "Twiglets" (Don't know if you have that in
the US etc) and given my opinion of "Twiglets" 50-50 the cat litter
would have tasted better

Anyway I filled the boxes and.....thus far they don't seem to know
what to make of it- Dunzi took one look at it and meeped as if to say
"What do you expect me to do with IT?" Ummm...Dunzi it's in your box-
work it out

So far they're both sniffing round it- guess I'll have to see if they
take to it or else guess who will have to go and get some other litter
in the morning?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Anyway else had any experience with this stuff?
Old November 22nd 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Lesley" wrote

| Just had to pop to the shop and while I was there I had to buy some
| cat litter- Anyway they had wood cat litter so I thought I would give
| it a try, it's light (a consideration when you have to cart the stuff
| with a bad shoulder), dust free and environmentally friendly and not
| hugely expensive and anyway the Fabulous Furballs main rule to date
| about what they excrete into is that it has to be clean they've
| happily used clumping, non-clumping, antibacterial, Fullers earth,
| that white stuff that looks like chopped ice etc with no problem.as I
| say they don't seem to mind what I use so long as it's clean
|
| So I opened the bag and my first thought was if I put the stuff in a
| china bowl it could pass as "Twiglets" (Don't know if you have that in
| the US etc) and given my opinion of "Twiglets" 50-50 the cat litter
| would have tasted better
|
| Anyway I filled the boxes and.....thus far they don't seem to know
| what to make of it- Dunzi took one look at it and meeped as if to say
| "What do you expect me to do with IT?" Ummm...Dunzi it's in your box-
| work it out
|
| So far they're both sniffing round it- guess I'll have to see if they
| take to it or else guess who will have to go and get some other litter
| in the morning?

When you change litters you should put a layer of the "old" type on top of
the new one. This is especially true with the wood pellet litters.

Old November 22nd 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

Lesley kirjoitti:
[...]

Laku has been doing his business in wood pellets all his life. The thing
with wood pellets is that when peed into, they turn into saw dust. This
is why I use the special double litter box for it. The top box has holes
in the bottom, like a sieve, which allows the saw dust to pass into the
bottom one, from where it's easily scooped without wasting clean
pellets. The poops I just scoop out and throw into the toilet.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 22nd 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 22, 11:49*am, "Pat" wrote:

When you change litters you should put a layer of the "old" type on top of
the new one. This is especially true with the wood pellet litters.

Thanks I'll try that

Old November 23rd 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
[...]

Do you have any old litter you could mix with it? MLB
Old November 25th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message

Anyway else had any experience with this stuff?

Wood litter pellets.
Yes. Never again. As soon as they wee on it it turns to sawdust and they
track it all over the house on their feet into your carpets. It's almost
impossible to remove from the pile, even with a Dyson.

Tweed