Little Gifts! Little Help Needed!

Old April 2nd 04, 11:06 PM
David Wright

Default Little Gifts! Little Help Needed!

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone could share some advice on how to stop our two cats
bringing home little "gifts" for us during the night.

Both cats (1 male, 1 female) are just under 2 years old. They have never
brought anything back before, but since our first baby was born and became
the centre of attention 14 weeks ago, we have had 4 mice, one bird and two
frogs. And, because they have a cat-flap door, we find the presents -
normally dead but sometimes alive - in the living room when we get up in the
morning. The bird was the worst - feathers everywhere!

With the baby about to start crawling, we want to nip this in the bud to
avoid infections etc - we are trying to lavish attention on the cats again,
so they don't feel so left out, but this morning (2am!) - a whole lot of
noise, and another frog. Still alive, and quickly back in the neighbours
pond. And me disinfecting the carpet whilst half asleep, not that enjoyable
really!

We don't want to lock them in the kitchen at night (where their door is), or
lock them outside, but we might have to...

Thanks,
David.

ps. Please excuse the cross-posting, there are just too many great cat
newsgroups!!

Old April 2nd 04, 11:23 PM
'cedes

There is no stopping the sacrificial gifting. As long as they are allowed
outdoors, they are going to attempt to bring you "gifts".
A funny story; I don't allow my cats outdoors at all, but I have a huge
enclosed patio that they think is "outdoors. Yesterday I awoke from a nap,
to find a dismembered bird in bed with me, and all my cats snoozing soundly.
This is the second time in two years that this has happened. The largest gap
in the wire meshed-in patio, is a 1 inch gap betwwen the base and the frame
of the wire. We are clueless as to HOW these birds how squeezed in to meet
their doom. In any event, I truly can't stop my cats from doing this, IF a
bird makes it's way into our patio, but you can probably curtail their
activity, by either keeping them indoors at night, OR making them some sort
of secure enclosure on your house, so that they can not obtain their prey.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-worldenclosures.htm

Old April 2nd 04, 11:27 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:06:52 +0100, "David Wright"
wrote:

[...]

It would probably be best to keep them indoors. Cats will stay
cleaner and wonm't bring in germy things.

Old April 3rd 04, 01:27 AM
Andy Martin

I have a 3 legged cat who cant stretch to birds but often digs up worms and
offers them instead!

Old April 3rd 04, 04:30 AM
MaryL

"David Wright" wrote in message
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone could share some advice on how to stop our two

cats
bringing home little "gifts" for us during the night.

Thanks,
David.

Although it's unpleasant for you, these really are "gifts" from your cats.
I don't know of any to prevent it unless your cats become indoor-only cats
(which would be my preference). My cat, Holly, brings me a gift every
evening. Since she is indoor-only, she brings me a little red leather
mouse -- the same mouse for several months now (and so worn that it is
hardly red any more).

MaryL

Old April 3rd 04, 05:19 AM
GovtLawyer

We don't want to lock them in the kitchen at night (where their door is), or
lock them outside, but we might have to..

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'll say it anyway. As long
as you let them outside, in their wild state (some prefer this) they will
continue to do this. One day, one of them won't bring you anything, because a
bigger animal will bring him/her home to their brood as a gift.