Here's trouble...

Old March 22nd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Here's trouble...

Scouty and Silver are fed Science Diet Lite kibble to try and keep
their ever-growing tummies under control. I sprinkle on a little bit
of kit-n-kaboodle in each bowl to make it a little more interesting
(mainly because we fed the neighbours cat for a few weeks and they
said 'keep the rest of the bag' and I hate to waste it). They're not
thrilled about this diet and they eat a LOT less than they used to
when they were getting regular SD or SD and Diet half and half...

Tessie on the other hand is a growing kitten and she needs all the
food energy she can get, so we give her Science Diet kitten food and I
keep her feeder up on top of my dresser so that the other two don't
scarf it down.

Since I started this regimen, Silver and Scouty have been staring at
Tessie whenever she goes to eat, and this morning Silver figured it
out. I heard a loud thump and scrabble, and turned around to see her
sitting on the shelf that serves as the halfway point to the
dresser... she put a paw onto the book Tessie uses as a 'step' but
it's too light and it folded instead of holding her weight. So she
looked at it a little more and then said 'I don't need no step!' and
she jumped straight up onto the dresser and started chowing down. I
told her off and she turned around and jumped down... alas, now she
knows how to get to the Good Stuff and she was up there again a minute
ago, with much less scrabbling to get there! Argh... She's smarter
than she looks!

Old March 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-22, Karen AKA Kajikit penned:
told her off and she turned around and jumped down... alas, now she
knows how to get to the Good Stuff and she was up there again a
minute ago, with much less scrabbling to get there! Argh... She's
smarter than she looks!

Can you put Tessie in a separate room for mealtimes?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 22nd 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:02:16 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2006-03-22, Karen AKA Kajikit penned:
told her off and she turned around and jumped down... alas, now she
knows how to get to the Good Stuff and she was up there again a
minute ago, with much less scrabbling to get there! Argh... She's
smarter than she looks!

Can you put Tessie in a separate room for mealtimes?

Tessie eats about six times a day! She's not even six months old
yet... I bought her a free-feeder that holds a week's worth of kibble
and she jumps up and nibbles at it whenever she wants. If Silver keeps
stealing from it I'll have to lock it away at night and only put it
out during the daytime when I can supervise... but Tessie will hate
that!

Old March 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-22, Karen AKA Kajikit penned:

Tessie eats about six times a day! She's not even six months old
yet... I bought her a free-feeder that holds a week's worth of
kibble and she jumps up and nibbles at it whenever she wants. If
Silver keeps stealing from it I'll have to lock it away at night and
only put it out during the daytime when I can supervise... but
Tessie will hate that!

What about a box with a hole small enough for Tessie, but not for the
others?

Granted, it would somehow have to be heavy enough that they couldn't
toss it around ..

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 22nd 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Thank God kittens and puppies really don't need baby food for much more than
the first six months unless they are small or got off to a poor start.
Feeding different cats separately is a big challenge.

Kayla is definitely trying to figure out how to help herself to the cat food
on the kitchen counter. It she succeeds, the bowl will shatter, so she may
only try it once. We do keep it midpoint between the front and back edge of
the counter, but Kayla is also considering the leap from the back of the
sofa that would give her the run of the entire counter.

God grant me patience while she is still cutting teeth.

Jo

Old March 23rd 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:41:30 -0800, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

We've got a temporary solution but I don't think it's a very good
one... I tipped her food out of the fancy feeder and put the diet
kibble into it, and I put Tessie's food into a plastic bowl instead,
and I put that up on the second tier of the cat tree. John said I
should put it on the top one but I'm not tall enough to see it there
so I wouldn't know when it needed refilling! Tessie's been up there to
eat from it twice... but this evening she put her paws up and then got
down again like she wasn't sure how to climb up. I lifted her up there
myself and she ate a ton of kibble and then jumped down. I think the
little beggar wants room service!

Old March 23rd 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
alas, now she
knows how to get to the Good Stuff and she was up there again a minute
ago, with much less scrabbling to get there! Argh... She's smarter
than she looks!

You're in for it now! This is so familiar to me. I have to stand by
Miranda every time she eats and fend off Caliban when he tries to mooch
her food. When Miranda is done eating, I lift her plate up on top of the
fridge. When she wants more, she jumps up on the cabinet and mews at me.
I lift down her plate for her, and wherever he is, Caliban comes rushing
to drool over her plate, and I have to keep him away from it. sigh

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 23rd 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

.. alas, now she
knows how to get to the Good Stuff and she was up there again a minute
ago, with much less scrabbling to get there! Argh...

Perhaps she'll associate Tessie's arrival with the supply of the Good
Stuff. That should make her feel much nicer towards Tessie. How are
they getting on?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 23rd 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 23 Mar 2006 02:19:58 -0800, "Lesley" wrote:

. alas, now she
knows how to get to the Good Stuff and she was up there again a minute
ago, with much less scrabbling to get there! Argh...

Perhaps she'll associate Tessie's arrival with the supply of the Good
Stuff. That should make her feel much nicer towards Tessie. How are
they getting on?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I'm afraid it's more like 'how come the pipsqueak gets the Good Stuff
and we don't?!' They're getting on very well now... lots of chasing
and wrestling and pouncing and playing and the occasional snarl of
'I'm had ENOUGH! GO AWAY!' Scouty and Silver are happy that I put the
craftroom back the way it used to be and they have their prized
mailing boxes back... Tessie is happy that she can run around the
house and sleep wherever she wants to... and all is well.