Food wars with casualties

Old November 13th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Food wars with casualties

Yesterday, I gave Miranda poached turkey for her dinner, while Caliban
got some tinned gooshy food. I had to buy some more today, because the
smell was driving Caliban mad, and I thought it was unfair not to get
him some, too.

As it turned out, he didn't deserve such a treat. Half an hour before it
was time to feed the cats, Caliban jumped up on an old ornamental
cabinet (inherited from my granddad) and knocked down an old ornamental
clock (inherited from my great-aunt). The clock didn't work before, and
it didn't break (at least no pieces broke off), but it had this golden
spike with golden ornaments on top, and that was bent in the fall. So
Caliban really didn't deserve a treat. But he got it anyway, when enough
time had elapsed between the accident and supper time that I hope he
didn't connect the two. He did know that he had done something bad,
because he went and hid after the clock had fallen.

Here's a picture of Miranda as a kitten beside the clock, on the cabinet:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/13185...58511339rheoLu

You can see that it's not a small or light-weight clock. Caliban has
been jumping on top of that cabinet lately to get my attention when he
is begging for food. Oh, well. It's just a thing. I had been planning to
take it to a clockmaker to have it fixed. Maybe I'll finally get that
done. And maybe Caliban won't drop it another time... Or maybe i'll just
have to hide it away, like all my other ornaments.

Old November 13th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lisa Katt

Marina skrev i meddelandet ...
Yesterday, I gave Miranda poached turkey for her dinner, while Caliban
got some tinned gooshy food. I had to buy some more today, because the
smell was driving Caliban mad, and I thought it was unfair not to get
him some, too.

snip

Wouldn't it be easier in the long run to feed Caliban the same food as
Miranda?
Or is her fresh meat diet too expensive?
Elisabet

Old November 13th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

What a picture
Marina take a stick pad and put it down or I would take and install a hook
and line behind it so it take a fall again. Plus an good clock place should
be able to repair that gorgeous clock looks like an antique roadshow show
piece waiting to happen

Old November 13th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Lisa Katt wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier in the long run to feed Caliban the same food as
Miranda?
Or is her fresh meat diet too expensive?

Actually, I've mostly fed him the same as Miranda ever since we came
back from the island, but sometimes I still give him some tinned food,
just for variation, and I didn't have enough turkey for two meals for
both of them. It's not really more expensive to feed them fresh meat
than high-end cat food.

Old November 13th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:42:43 +0200, Marina
yodeled:

[...]

I remember that picture! She made such a cool little shelf onament
(as if she would stay still )
A shame about your heirloom clock. Can the spikey thing be repaired?

You can see that it's not a small or light-weight clock. Caliban has
been jumping on top of that cabinet lately to get my attention when he
is begging for food. Oh, well. It's just a thing. I had been planning to
take it to a clockmaker to have it fixed. Maybe I'll finally get that
done. And maybe Caliban won't drop it another time... Or maybe i'll just
have to hide it away, like all my other ornaments.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old November 13th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Marina" wrote in message
Yesterday, I gave Miranda poached turkey for her dinner, while Caliban got
some tinned gooshy food. I had to buy some more today, because the smell
was driving Caliban mad, and I thought it was unfair not to get him some,
too.

It's such a pity that Miranda won't eat cat food, it must drive poor Caliban
crazy to smell her lovely freshly cooked stuff - especially as he is so fond
of his food ;-)

As it turned out, he didn't deserve such a treat. Half an hour before it
was time to feed the cats, Caliban jumped up on an old ornamental cabinet
(inherited from my granddad) and knocked down an old ornamental clock
(inherited from my great-aunt). The clock didn't work before, and it
didn't break (at least no pieces broke off), but it had this golden spike
with golden ornaments on top, and that was bent in the fall.

I'm sorry to hear that the clock was damaged. Heirlooms that have passed
down through the family in remembrance of someone who is now gone are very
precious.

So Caliban really didn't deserve a treat. But he got it anyway, when
enough time had elapsed between the accident and supper time that I hope
he didn't connect the two.

He *did* deserve some turkey because he could smell Miranda's and wanted it
so much. He knocked over and damaged your clock - but he has no idea that
that's a bad thing, how could his cat mind understand that?

He did know that he had done something bad, because he went and hid after
the clock had fallen.

I would suggest that he hid because it fell and shocked him maybe with the
noise it made - it's a large clock.
Animals have no concept of what is precious to us as humans.
Dogs will act in a way that is perceived as "guilty" for example when they
have raided the bin and strewed the contents all over the kitchen the
second/third time. When the owner arrives home and discovers it, their body
language says it all. The dog remembers being told off or punished then for
that first time and will probably creep away, showing submissive gestures.
This does not mean that they feel "guilty" - merely that they realise they
might be spoken to severely or punished again and become afraid.

Maybe put some metal foil on the top of the cabinet, I am told that cats
don't like to put their feet on it?

Tweed

Old November 13th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:42:43 +0200, Marina wrote:

[...]

IMHO Caliban had no thought of the clock at all -- he just wanted to jump
up high. It is a very pretty clock and should be in a safer place. What
if it had fallen on the cat?