Advice Please: Stray Kitten

Old May 28th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Searcher7

Default Advice Please: Stray Kitten

I found a stray kitten near my house. I couldn't leave it outside.(A
half hour after I took the kitten in a guy across the street who likes
to bring his Pitbull outside to roam without a lease early in the
morning came out).

The Kitten, which is about as big as my hand, was unsteady and had a
lot of mucus in the sinus/eye area. He/she didn't run when I walked
past, and in fact followed me meowing the 100 feet or so to my house.

It was shivering and sometimes sneezing and coughing.(I hope it's
nothing major). Nevertheless, I put it in a box with some milk, but it
did touch the milk and went to sleep).

I posted a "Found Kitten" sign near where I first saw it.

Does anyone have any other ideas before I have to call the ASPCA?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old May 28th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Searcher7" wrote in message
ups.com...
I found a stray kitten near my house. I couldn't leave it outside.(A
half hour after I took the kitten in a guy across the street who likes
to bring his Pitbull outside to roam without a lease early in the
morning came out).

The Kitten, which is about as big as my hand, was unsteady and had a
lot of mucus in the sinus/eye area. He/she didn't run when I walked
past, and in fact followed me meowing the 100 feet or so to my house.

It was shivering and sometimes sneezing and coughing.(I hope it's
nothing major). Nevertheless, I put it in a box with some milk, but it
did touch the milk and went to sleep).

I posted a "Found Kitten" sign near where I first saw it.

Does anyone have any other ideas before I have to call the ASPCA?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Yes, you need to get the kitten to a vet -- and it needs to be done
immediately (*do not wait* until tomorrow). Kittens are fragile, and the
symptoms you described can be critical. This isn't something you can safely
deal with simply by advice from a newsgroup.

Also: THANK YOU for taking care of this little baby.

MaryL

Old May 28th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 28 May, 12:32, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Excellent advice Mary!

Is there any possibility that the OP can call the human society & ask
for help with this situation?

If you were in the UK I would have advise you to call either the
RSPCA, or the Cat Protection League, who would tell you to get to them
asap, or even come to you to pick up the sick kitty. Do you have
anyone in the USA that would respond likewise?( Even a local rescuer?)
S;o)

PS: Do not hand the kitten over to anyone that you feel might have
neglected this poor kitten- It needs to be with someone who will care
responsibly with the life of that kitten, & again, thank you for
taking the time to bother

Old May 28th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bluedove

"Searcher7" wrote in message
ups.com...
I found a stray kitten near my house. I couldn't leave it outside.(A
half hour after I took the kitten in a guy across the street who likes
to bring his Pitbull outside to roam without a lease early in the
morning came out).

The Kitten, which is about as big as my hand, was unsteady and had a
lot of mucus in the sinus/eye area. He/she didn't run when I walked
past, and in fact followed me meowing the 100 feet or so to my house.

It was shivering and sometimes sneezing and coughing.(I hope it's
nothing major). Nevertheless, I put it in a box with some milk, but it
did touch the milk and went to sleep).

I posted a "Found Kitten" sign near where I first saw it.

Does anyone have any other ideas before I have to call the ASPCA?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I second what MaryL says.. please take the kitten to a vet, ASAP! Mention
to the vet you found her as a stray, and maybe* they'll know of a rescue you
can use to give you a break on the costs, although, I would not hold my
breath for that, it never hurts to ask. The kitten sounds like she has
conjunctivitis and/or needs an antibiotic. Feed her as much as she will eat,
and drink as she needs to build up her strength, and keep her warm. Bless
you for doing the right thing and taking her in.

ML

Old May 28th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Bluedove wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message
ups.com...

I second what MaryL says.. please take the kitten to a vet, ASAP! Mention
to the vet you found her as a stray,

Definitely. I took my cat to a vet after finding her in circumstances
not dissimilar to this. He diagnosed her with a URI (Upper Respiratory
Infection) and malnutritioned.

It wasn't expensive at all - the vet even gave me a discount as he was
pleased that I was doing something to help out an animal in need.

Old May 28th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lovethepet

It was shivering and sometimes sneezing and coughing.(I hope it's
nothing major). Nevertheless, I put it in a box with some milk, but it
did touch the milk and went to sleep).

Agree with Bluedove. Also if kitten won't eat or drink, give it some
Pedialite in a dropper. You can buy this at any grocery store in the
baby food section. It supplies the electrolytes needed to sustain the
kitten's life.

Old May 28th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 28 May 2007 03:30:07p, lovethepet wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

It was shivering and sometimes sneezing and coughing.(I hope
it's nothing major). Nevertheless, I put it in a box with some
milk, but it did touch the milk and went to sleep).

Agree with Bluedove. Also if kitten won't eat or drink, give it
some Pedialite in a dropper. You can buy this at any grocery
store in the baby food section. It supplies the electrolytes
needed to sustain the kitten's life.

Pedialite is good, but KMR (kitten milk replacement) is even
better. It can be picked up at a pet supply store like PetCo or
PetSmart. Give it the same way, with a dropper. Be sure to
stimulate the poo and pee with a wet cotton ball though (depending
on how young it is). If it doesn't seem to be "going" it may need
some help. I see you've gotten some good advice and the reading
that you were directed to would tell you all this.

Good luck and God bless.

--
Cheryl

Old May 29th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Searcher7

On May 28, 5:34 pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Though it is no longer shivering and appears to be breathing better it
hasn't touched the food and water, and time is getting short.

The kitten definitely has to be gone by tomorrow because I'm leaving
for vacation and this has already kept me from doing things that
should have been done today. There will be no one here to take care of
it when I leave.

So I'll have to find some sort of shelter because I'd hate to have to
put it back out in the street.(And not that I'm out to spend major
money on the kitten, the veterinarians close by were closed).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old May 29th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default PING PHIL!! Advice Please: Stray Kitten

"Searcher7" wrote

The kitten definitely has to be gone by tomorrow because I'm leaving
for vacation and this has already kept me from doing things that
should have been done today.

Please drop these folks an email.

http://maxshouse.com/about_us.htm

Old May 29th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Searcher7

On May 28, 9:01 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote

The kitten definitely has to be gone by tomorrow because I'm leaving
for vacation and this has already kept me from doing things that
should have been done today.

Please drop these folks an email.

http://maxshouse.com/about_us.htm

Things are not looking good for this kitten.

It refuses to eat or drink and this morning it's eyes were "glued"
shut.(I tried to feed the kitten some Pedialyte I picked up to no
avail).

It's still pretty active, and has been attempting to get out of the
box I put it in.

But I've not been given any satisfacory answer by any of the
veterinarians, clinics, ect I've visited and called.

I'm about to be forced to put it back outside.(There are many things
that I have to do today before I leave for my trip).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.