Food translation?

Old October 18th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Food translation?

Having read the Survey thread, there were lots of foods I didn't recognise.
So, people, please describe or explain:

Enfilade - what is a Cottage Roll?

Will in New haven - what is Chicken Murphy?

Granby - well, I've found out recently that biscuits in gravy is not the
same as cookies in gravy and that what you call 'biscuit' I'd probably call
'damper' so whilst 'biscuits in gravy' still sounds very weird to me, its
not as weird as I first thought (what I call a 'biscuit' you'd call a
'cookie'). So, how does one make 'biscuits in gravy'?

Christine K. - could you describe 'creamy mince sauce', please?

Bettina - butter cream cakes sound yummy - you got a recipe?

moonglow minnow - what is an apple crisp?

Matthew (and Sam) - dumb question but what is 'cornbread' as opposed to
regular bread?

Yowie - a bit ignorant of international foodstuffs.

Old October 18th 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Yowie" wrote in message
Having read the Survey thread, there were lots of foods I didn't
recognise. So, people, please describe or explain:

Enfilade - what is a Cottage Roll?

Will in New haven - what is Chicken Murphy?

Granby - well, I've found out recently that biscuits in gravy is not the
same as cookies in gravy and that what you call 'biscuit' I'd probably
call 'damper' so whilst 'biscuits in gravy' still sounds very weird to me,
its not as weird as I first thought (what I call a 'biscuit' you'd call a
'cookie'). So, how does one make 'biscuits in gravy'?

Christine K. - could you describe 'creamy mince sauce', please?

Bettina - butter cream cakes sound yummy - you got a recipe?
moonglow minnow - what is an apple crisp?

Matthew (and Sam) - dumb question but what is 'cornbread' as opposed to
regular bread?

Yowie - a bit ignorant of international foodstuffs.

About the only one of these I can answer (and I know you didn't "call" on
me), is the one about cornbread.

Cornbread is technically 'unleavened' in the sense that it contains no yeast
(doesn't rise) - it rises more in the way that a cake would. And it is made
from not wheat flour - but CORN "meal" (rough ground corn). Here's the
Wikipedia page if that helps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornbread
--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:

Old October 18th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Here is the Biscuit recipe, Will have to make the sausage gravy and write it
down as I go. Got this recipe from Lee and it is close to what I always make
only fluffier.
Grand Biscuits (meaning big ones)

2 Cups all purpose flour

1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

1/2 Teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon White sugar

1/3 Cup shortening (I use Crisco)

1 Cup Milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C)

Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the shortening and cut
with fork or pastry cutter until feels like coarse meal.

Slowly add milk, mix until dough pulls away from the side of bowl. Pour out
on surface with a thin layer of flour. Knead 15 or 20 times. Patr out or
rill until 1 inch thick. Cut with large cutter or juice glass dipped in
flour. (actually, I use a 5.5 oz cat food tin!) Brush off any excess flour,
bake on ungreased cookie sheet in preheated over for13-15 until golden
brown.

Says it makes six, I get five so, I usually double the recipe. They are big,
but one split in half makes a good size serving when covered with Sausage
gravy.

Old October 18th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Granby wrote:
Here is the Biscuit recipe, Will have to make the sausage gravy and
write it down as I go. Got this recipe from Lee and it is close to
what I always make only fluffier.
Grand Biscuits (meaning big ones)

2 Cups all purpose flour

1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

1/2 Teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon White sugar

1/3 Cup shortening (I use Crisco)

"shortening" might need more description, as would "Crisco" with is a
vegetable shortening sold in the U.S. Butter is the best subsitute but lard
comes a close second. Lard is rendered pork fat.

1 Cup Milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C)

Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the shortening and
cut with fork or pastry cutter until feels like coarse meal.

Slowly add milk, mix until dough pulls away from the side of bowl.
Pour out on surface with a thin layer of flour. Knead 15 or 20 times.
Patr out or rill until 1 inch thick. Cut with large cutter or juice
glass dipped in flour. (actually, I use a 5.5 oz cat food tin!) Brush
off any excess flour, bake on ungreased cookie sheet in preheated
over for13-15 until golden brown.

Says it makes six, I get five so, I usually double the recipe. They
are big, but one split in half makes a good size serving when covered
with Sausage gravy.

That's a whole different thing! I've never been very good at sausage gravy,
but country fried steak in cream gravy is different. I'll have to dig up
the recipe from my (now dead) computer.

Jill

Old October 18th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
m...
"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! Thanks. That *is* informative. The only two similar things I've had is
polenta, which is made with the yellow corn and tends to be Italian. Its has
no particular flavour and struck me as just a form of carbohydrate that ones
'adds' flavour over rather than savouring its flavour for its own.

The other is semolina pudding, which in Australia is eaten as a breakfast
but in England where my family is from, is eaten as a dessert. it is made
out of wheat, but its grainy (in the same way polenta is grainy) and is
boiled in sweetened milk until it goes thick (like porridge does). My family
used to eat it hot and with 'murder in the snow' - ablob of strawberry or
raspberry jam in the middle of the otherwise white pudding.

One day I'm going to *have* to do a culinary tour of the USA, although no
matter what, I am *not* sucking the yellow muck out of crawdad heads!.

Yowie

Old October 18th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Y'know, that sounds an aweful lot like the Yorkshire Pudding and the stuff
my mother used to make "Toad in the hole" with. So maybe its not so 'weird'
to me after all.

Yowie
(who would pay a large sum to taste my grandmother's yorshire pud one more
time)

Old October 18th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Yowie wrote:

The other is semolina pudding, which in Australia is eaten as a breakfast
but in England where my family is from, is eaten as a dessert.

Oh thanks I am in the middle of my lunch and you've just mentioned the most
awful substance in the World!

We used to have it for school dinner served with prunes....our school had a
rule that you had to take at least a small portion of everything and you had
to eat the lot. One day the headmistress caught me ducking out of the dessert
queue and stood over me and forced me to eat a large helping of semolina and
prunes

Maybe she shouldn't have stood over me, I did warn her that a safe distance
might be a good idea..I was sick all over her!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old October 18th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Oct 18, 2:05 am, "Yowie" wrote:
Having read the Survey thread, there were lots of foods I didn't recognise.
So, people, please describe or explain:

Enfilade - what is a Cottage Roll?

Will in New haven - what is Chicken Murphy?

Chicken Murphy is an Italian-influenced method of preparing chicken,
called "Murphy" because it employs potatos in a manner not common in
Italian cooking. It seems to be native to the east coast of the U.S.
below New England and above the Mason-Dixon line. It looks like this:

Four or five cut up potatos, some salt, garlic, some fresh peppers,
some hot vinegar peppers, a can of tomatoes, enough chicken to feed
the people expected, olive oil, pepper. This is how my brother makes
it. Obviously, more tomatoes would be needed if you were using more
than three pounds or so of chicken, as would be true with the other
ingredients. It is sometimes, often, made with hot or sweet or hot and
sweet sausage replacing about a quarter of the chicken. Sid doesn't
usually do that but he has. It is sometimes made without the hot
vinegar peppers. No one would talk to Sid if he ever did that. The
vinegar peppers are key. If no one in the area has them for sale, we
make something else.

I have never made this dish but I think I could swing it if I had to.
But why have a brother if you have to make the Chicken Murphy
yourself?

Will in New Haven

Old October 18th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Yowie kirjoitti:
Having read the Survey thread, there were lots of foods I didn't recognise.
So, people, please describe or explain:

Christine K. - could you describe 'creamy mince sauce', please?

That's no official name or anything...just a description. Within the
family, we call it "quick sauce", as it's fairly fast to make.

Finely chop and fry some onions until they turn translucent.
Add about a pound of mince meat and brown it up too. Add spices to taste
(salt, pepper, paprika, whatever else tickles your fancy). Add some
flour as thickening agent. Add cream (about 4 dl) and water. (at this
stage I sometimes add a beef stock cube, but then I've gone easy on the
seasonings earlier, and I may add some tomato puree too) Allow the flour
to thicken the sauce. Serve with pasta of your choice (and ketchup).

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old October 18th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message

One day I'm going to *have* to do a culinary tour of the USA, although no
matter what, I am *not* sucking the yellow muck out of crawdad heads!.

Then be *sure* to go through New Orleans - best cooking in the US (and, I
think, even better than French cooking since we have the spicy "Cajun"
cuisine thrown in). But you don't know what you're missing if you refuse to
suck the heads! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yowie

Translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 December 1st 05 04:05 AM
Can our Finnish friends help me with a translation? Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 5 July 15th 05 11:59 AM
Cat Translation Dictionary Richard Miller Cat anecdotes 0 May 12th 05 06:38 PM
Translation - cat to hoomin Shirley Cat anecdotes 2 February 20th 05 07:58 PM
Food translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 0 November 22nd 04 05:26 AM