Food for convalescents?

Old June 22nd 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Alphonze[_2_]

Default Food for convalescents?

Naughty and Kiki have both been ill during the last week - some kind
of infection that Kiki picked up at TED's while having her tooth out,
maybe. Anyway, they've been off their food, and both pretty miserable.

I've been their veterinary nurse - force-feeding them high-protein
catfood through a syringe in small doses, inserting antibiotics as
required, along with fever-reducing medicines and tummy-soothing
stuff. We only had one emergency TED visit when Naughty got very
dehydrated, which meant a $40 cab-ride at 11pm, 200mls of saline
subcutaneously, and a whopping bill.

But anyway - the good news is that they're both recovering well...
getting their energies back and eating on their own, and they don't
seem to bear much of a grudge at all the medical indignities and
discomforts I've put them through in the last week. (Well, Naughty
doesn't seem to care at all; Kiki's avoiding me wherever possible).

Problem is - they don't seem to *like* their old food any more. Kiki's
been refusing it for days, and when I tried some other food yesterday
she wolfed it down. But I know from past experience that in two days
she'll be ignoring *that* food too.

My question, for all the experts in he what can you suggest feeding
to two cats who are feeling picky, difficult, and who might still have
slightly sore bellies? If it involves cooking or preparation, that's
no problem at all - I can do that.

All suggestions and advice is welcomed!

Ta
Al.
Old June 22nd 09, 11:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Alphonze wrote:
Naughty and Kiki have both been ill during the last week - some kind
of infection that Kiki picked up at TED's while having her tooth out,
maybe. Anyway, they've been off their food, and both pretty miserable.

snip
My question, for all the experts in he what can you suggest feeding
to two cats who are feeling picky, difficult, and who might still have
slightly sore bellies? If it involves cooking or preparation, that's
no problem at all - I can do that.

All suggestions and advice is welcomed!

Ta
Al.

A vet suggested to me getting the chicken baby food for a sick cat -
check the labels and pick the one that's 100% chicken, not chicken +
vegetables. Then it occured to me that all I had to do was boil ordinary
human chicken in water (no salt or spices, of course!), take out the
bones, puree it in a blender, and I had the same thing, much cheaper and
fresher!

To be honest, I switched to the chicken after getting that particular
cat eating again by tempting her with one of her favourite human foods -
Vienna sausages. Once she started eating again, I (and the vet) thought
she might need something more nutritious. (She actually liked other
human foods even better, but her jaw must have been hurting and she
needed something easy to eat.)

Some people advise something nice and smelly, like sardines, but I had
better luck with the chicken.

Cheryl
Old June 22nd 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

There's a specialty cat food brand called Weruva that is what I used to
start Tucker eating again after his abdominal surgery last fall - the 5.5
oz. cans are 1.89/can but it got him interested again in eating (also in
combination with an appetite stimulant called mirtazapine) - the 2 flavors
he liked best were Paw Lickin Chicken (looks like human grade chicken in
sauce) and Polynesian BBQ (chunks of fish called red eye) - I buy a few cans
every week for my guys as a treat meal. Here's a weblink:
http://tinyurl.com/kw9dpn
and http://www.weruva.com/index.html
Christine

Old June 22nd 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

On Jun 21, 11:21*pm, Alphonze wrote:

My question, for all the experts in he what can you suggest feeding
to two cats who are feeling picky, difficult, and who might still have
slightly sore bellies? If it involves cooking or preparation, that's
no problem at all - I can do that.

All-meat baby food is excellent, and if you can process fresh bird
down to pate, fantastic. Consider also some plain, unflavored yogurt,
the kind you get at Indian restaurants to cool down your curry. It
doesn't upset a cat's stomach, unlike regular milk, and it's good for
the digestion. Most of my cats like it for a treat, and when I had my
diabetic Fritzie it was a godsend because he went through stubborn
food periods too.

Blessed be,
Baha
Old June 22nd 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Alphonze" wrote in message
[...]

I consider myself as quite an expert on feeding elderlies with kidney
problems but yours are not. They are young and will soon recover. My
suggestion is swap and change the cat food and the flavours.
You will regret it if you start to cook fancy chicken etc for young cats
that are temporararily unwell. They will soon decide that is all they like
for ever. Leave that until they are old.
Young cats usually spring back quite soon, but just try different cat food
for now. It will not hurt them if they refuse it for a day or two. No
need to worry if your cat is getting vet treatment, just offer the food they
are used to.
We all want posh food. I'd like to eat to eat steak every day myself.
If they will not eat buy premium food, in tiny tins but do not continue it
for long. Normal cats will eat ordinary cat food. Normally!
I have some posh food left from persuading KFC to eat. I give it to Boyfie
once a week to get rid of it but the next day he will not eat his normal
food because it's so lovely he wants it again. So I'm afraid he goes
hungry.
He ignores normal and wails he wants KFC food which is nicer than his.
He'll have the nice one once a week until it's gone. If he doesn't think
what I give him every day is good enough to eat, the boy will be hungry.
Let it be so. He is spoilt. My fault.

Twee

Old June 22nd 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

[...]

The vet gave Rusty Hill's A/D when he stopped eating while on
antibiotics.
It can be syringe fed.
You may want to ask your vet about it.

Winnie
Old June 22nd 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AlisonT

When Tigger was ill the vet gave me a bag of some of the Royal Canin
food that is easily digestible. It is only for short time feeding but
it got Tigger eating. It is crunchy (perhaps they have a soft
variety) so it wouldn't be good for a kitty with a sore mouth but Tank
ate it too when his tummy was upset. In fact he told me he wanted it
by going in the pantry, tearing open the bad, and helping himself.
Old June 22nd 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Alphonze" wrote in message
[...]

I will get mugged for lightly steamed fish.

Same with steamed chicken or turkey. Pulled apart into easy to eat
strands.

Just a little food is OK until their tummies settle.

Jo

Old June 23rd 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Alphonze[_2_]

Default Food for convalescents? (UPDATE)

Thank you all for these great suggestions!

The good news is that Naughty and Kiki are both much better today. I
can tell because they've started with the b*stard cat tricks again,
and the Poltergeist is back. The Poltergeist is the unknown entity
(*coughNaughtycough*) who opens all the drawers in my living-room
storage unit during the night. The Poltergeist has been absent for a
couple of weeks, so it's great to see it's come back.

Kiki's BCT was a corker. She took her antibiotic pill this morning
with the minimum of fuss. Then went about her business. Later I went
to clean the litterbox and while I was shovelling, I saw a flash of
deep red. After an instant of panic I saw it wasn't blood... it was...
a red antibiotic pill that had been *buried*. Little sod! She got
another one, and I shall be asking TED for a spare so she can complete
the course.

Now, for the food. Winnie - thank you for the Hills A/D suggestion -
we've been using that for a week because I have been syringe-feeding
them. It's wonderful stuff for times like this.

Tweed - I totally agree about avoiding getting the Girls into food-
princess habits, so I combined your advice with Cheryl's and Jo's and
found a shredded-chicken cat-food (nothing special, just an ordinary
Whiskas label) - they ate it, and didn't object to a second-helping at
breakfast.

Thanks again!
Al.
Old June 23rd 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bigboy

[...]

Many purrs and prayers for your babies.

BigBoy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue
Belle and Cheddar