Feral Cat Vomiting and Wants Water. Help?

Old June 16th 04, 05:49 PM
Robyn

Cat Protector wrote:
You should not ever withhold water from a cat. Just like us they can
get dehydrated. Also, a Web Site can't take the place of a regular
skilled vet. It might help in some cases but it is better to consult
a vet if the problem persists.

We're talking a few hours here, not days on end... When the water and
food stimulates the vomiting, the stimuli needs to be removed for a
while, to stop the cycle. It's true of humans, too. I had a bout of
severe vomiting a few years ago and the first thing the doctor did was
tell me to stop food and fluids and see if that helped. As far as the
cat goes, every Veterinary website I checked concurred with this, as
well as my cat medical book. And as I stated, the *vet* said I did the
right thing. Withholding of food and water for up to 12 hours is
standard protocol for vomiting. I was just unsure about when to
reintroduce it.

Robyn

Old June 16th 04, 05:53 PM
Sherry

You should not ever withhold water from a cat. Just like us they can get
dehydrated.

snipped

I'd have to agree with CP. A vomiting cat dehydrates so quickly. If they're
willing to drink (cats don't ever over-do themselves on water anyway)...I'd
hate to withhold the water.

Sherry