Animal Planet: "Animal Precinct"

Old May 31st 05, 03:32 AM
Brian Link

Default Animal Planet: "Animal Precinct"

This is a case study in the point I made in an earlier post. Some of
us are hopelessly sentimental about animals, despite the fact that
sometimes things are really difficult. I'm watching a squad trying to
capture a colony of 60 cats resulting from one gal collecting 8 strays
without fixing them. They're in there with nets and traps, and the
cats (who I find myself rooting for despite my better judgement) are
brilliant in escaping capture. Sadly, they're mostly all feral, and so
I know their prognosis is poor. =(

I wish I could figure out which city this is being filmed in, where
the ASPCA has police-like powers. God, I'd pay extra taxes to have
guys like this in my city.

BLink
Old May 31st 05, 04:57 AM
Innovo

"Brian Link" wrote in message
This is a case study in the point I made in an earlier post. Some of
us are hopelessly sentimental about animals, despite the fact that
sometimes things are really difficult. I'm watching a squad trying to
capture a colony of 60 cats resulting from one gal collecting 8 strays
without fixing them. They're in there with nets and traps, and the
cats (who I find myself rooting for despite my better judgement) are
brilliant in escaping capture. Sadly, they're mostly all feral, and so
I know their prognosis is poor. =(

I wish I could figure out which city this is being filmed in, where
the ASPCA has police-like powers. God, I'd pay extra taxes to have
guys like this in my city.

BLink

**Blink,

I've said the exact same thing you said about being willing to pay more
taxes for better police-like animal control powers. Unfortunately though, my
city is pretty small compared to Miami or Houston or LA, etc, so the budget
is tiny for my local animal control. There is verrry little that my animal
control can do if someone neglects his or her animals, and it's just too
common here for me to even begin to talk about.

It's really a shame and failure to our animals how anyone can get/ buy an
animal, and then place it in their backyard like a ornament, and neglect it
day-in and day-out. And God help you if you try to be a good Samaritan and
try help the animals. Then you* risk being retaliated against, and I have
been, several times already. I just called animal control last wk to report
my two black thug neighbors who's dad has moved out and basically done the
black male awol bit that's so common, and simply left them there to tend to
themselves and live right beside me*. Their mother disappeared years ago.
They are just at legal ages, and I unfortunately do not live in a 'home
owners association' neighborhood, because if I did then* I would have some
legal teeth to get their butts kicked out. They act like total low-class
trash, and have a long history of animal neglect and abuse, but yet, their
past animal neglect and abuse cases still remain 'open' to this day from
1997(!?).

Well, the two surly young men just got another poor baby puppy and* a pit
bull and basically Never tend to the dogs.. very long story. And when I
called again ( 3rd time) to report them because the dogs had no water at
all.. weeell.. they then stupidly ( pulled a Johnny cockren) called the cops
on me* to say I was a racist and harassing them(!).

The animal control man called me later to say that he did write them up, but
other than that, there was very little he could do to remove the puppy and
young pit bull, and that sadly this is the case all over! And he also added
that I needed to be very careful since they were going to be, "very hard to
deal with" and knew it was me*. Shortly after that phone call the men called
the cops on me to say I was racist, etc. Talk about upsetting and
frustrating! And my hands are tied! Yes, something needs to be done now*
with our laws here in FL to help protect so many helpless animals because
neglect and abuse are just too common and widespread to comprehend.

ML

Old May 31st 05, 06:03 AM
Philip

Innovo wrote:
snip
[...]

Most towns and certainly cities have a small department called "Code
Enforcement." This department is manned by deputized plain clothes
officers who know the local municipal codes "cans" and "can'ts" to the
letter and can make things VERY unpleasant. For instances, in my city, two
calls for officers on the same day for the same thing results in a letter to
the homeowner to cease and desist otherwise ... the next call out will
result in an $800 fine on their water bill ... that will be promptly paid or
the water shut off until it is paid. Look into Code Enforcement.

Old May 31st 05, 06:43 AM
Innovo

"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
Innovo wrote:
[...]

***I have, several times, and our code enforcement (in the county) is a real
joke. It boils down to us women ( who are on the board of our neighborhood
association, which I am) having to knock on the offenders door and asking
them to, "Please move your (unpainted and 20 year old) impala, and please
don't park it in on your lawn, or whatever bomb (looking) car from their
lawn, 'Because it's an eye sore". We have no men on our board, so it all
comes down to us ladies trying to enforce the rules (which, IMO, in and of
itself is totally ridiculous), and here the neighborhood association has no
legal recourse, not at all like if we were a 'Home Owners Association' then
we could put a lien on the offenders house, for example.

No, our county code enforcement doesn't help much at all. I've been told,
point blank, by the harried code enforcement worker that, for instance, "as
long as the tires aren't flat on the car, and it runs, then there is nothing
that they can do. Fact is, the C. C. E. doesn't do much at all for us living
in the county because there is very little that would be considered an
infraction to begin with. I blame it on the dumb initial write-up rules.
What I'd like to do is to hire a really good lawyer to try to put the legal
squeeze on the Dad/ them, but alas, am unable to do so.

ML

Old May 31st 05, 07:02 AM
Philip

Innovo wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
Innovo wrote:
[...]

Couple of points

1) My city's code officer says "the car can be licensed, all the tires
aired, etc but ... if it has been disabled for repairs or is for any other
reason is undriveable, he can (and did) issue a 72 hr move it or lose it
citation. My city also has a law that NO vehicles may be parked on grass in
the front yard. That's a spendy ticket from Code Enforcement. I'm lucky to
have Law with Teeth here.

2) Sorry to hear you are in a neighborhood that is spiraling due to
deadbeats. There are three assholes on my block with the PD on speed dial
and I'm one of them when it comes to this crap. Have you tried pestering /
lobbying a few city council meetings?

3) Riff Raff like you describe only understand hits to their pocca book. Aim
sharply.

Old May 31st 05, 12:27 PM
John Ross Mc Master

IP # 64.203.38.114

OrgAbuseName: ABUSE TEAM
OrgAbusePhone: +1-404-815-0770
OrgAbuseEmail:

Old June 1st 05, 04:12 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Brian Link" wrote in message
This is a case study in the point I made in an earlier post. Some of
us are hopelessly sentimental about animals, despite the fact that
sometimes things are really difficult. I'm watching a squad trying to
capture a colony of 60 cats resulting from one gal collecting 8 strays
without fixing them. They're in there with nets and traps, and the
cats (who I find myself rooting for despite my better judgement) are
brilliant in escaping capture. Sadly, they're mostly all feral, and so
I know their prognosis is poor. =(

I wish I could figure out which city this is being filmed in, where
the ASPCA has police-like powers. God, I'd pay extra taxes to have
guys like this in my city.

BLink

I've watched Animal Cops a few times, but it's very hard. I usually end up
in tears before the show is over. I'm in NYC and I've seen the New York
animal cops featured on the show a few times. One time I watched, I think
they said that there are only a few of them working the whole city. They
can also actually arrest people.

--
Liz