3 cats & a new parrot...

Old July 15th 05, 08:49 PM
Peter Hucker

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:08:08 +0100, KellyH kelly at farringtons dot net wrote:

"Mary" wrote

They are not that big!

I must be thinking of another kind of parrot. I admit, I don't really know
my birds!

Macaw?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com
http://www.insanevideoclips.com

A study in Scotland showed that the kind of male face a woman finds attractive can differ depending where a woman is in her menstrual cycle.
For instance, if she is ovulating they are attracted to men with rugged, masculine features.
If she is menstruating she is more prone to be attracted to a man with scissors shoved in his temple.
Old July 15th 05, 08:49 PM
Peter Hucker

Aren't you thinking of llamas?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:28:07 +0100, Phil Jarvis wrote:

Under no circumstances should you acquire birds if you have ANY cats,
much less three of them. Even the saliva of cats can be deadly to birds.

Jim wrote:
Hello,

I have three cats, two of them 3 yrs old, and the other just under 1 yr.
The cats are 90% house cats, they have access to the back garden supervised
a few times per day. Now...I really want to buy an African Grey Parrot, a
young one too - maybe a bird aged 2 - 4 months.

Can anyone give me success stories and / or horror stories with regards to
the risk to the bird? I am well aware that cats are predators, but I am
wondering if by having the bird in the house, will they treat it with more
respect over time? The last thing I want is for the cat to take a swipe at
the poor thing and kill it, or for the three of them to sit and taunt it all
day causing the bird to stress out - parrots can go crazy with stress I
heard.

What I might do, is buy a budgie or cockatiel which cost next to nothing,
and see how they react. If they welcome the wee thing with open arms, I
will buy it a much more expensive friend to sit and talk with

Any tips?

PS - Its Tigger, Tootsie and Tango - www.cutecats.co.uk - they look harmless
.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com
http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

What's the German word for Vaseline?
Vienerslide.
Old July 15th 05, 09:51 PM
Alison

"Mary" wrote in message

can't speak from experience; doubt they'd ever be friendly, but

isn't
one of those a *big* bird ? big enough to intimidate the cats I

imagine.

None of them is very large--the African Gray might be the largest,

but
they are close enough in size to cockatiels for it to be a toss up.

None
is large like the big colorful parrots with the wicked beaks are

large..

A cockatiel is a little bigger than a budgie.
Amazons and African greys are the same size and are a fair size
bigger than a cocktiel .
Cockatoos are a little bigger than african greys, varies depending on
breed .
Macaws are the largest.
Alison

They'r a *lot* bigger than a cockatiel ! but not so big as a macaw

Old July 16th 05, 12:08 AM
Jim

Don't you think that's a bit callous?

Not at all, I think its very sensible in fact. I would not simply going to
let the cats loose on the budgie, I would supervise the cats and very
quickly be able to asses if the bird was in any danger. Through supervised
visits, I would hope over time that the cats accept the budgie, however if
not, then the parrot would be a no-no. I would NEVER allow the cat to harm
any bird, I love all animals.

It seems you're saying it
doesn't matter that the budgie is terrified of you cats or gets hurt
because he cost you peanuts.

At no trime did I say I would let the budgie get hurt.

You'll still have to buy a cage for it
anyway and they're expensive.

Tell me about it, the thing cost me £300

What will you do with the budgie or
cockatiel when you buy your parrot?

I would have kept them, I love birds.

J.

Old July 16th 05, 12:11 AM
Jim

"Forrest" wrote in message
If you want a bird, get a bird. Just make sure that the cage can be closed
securely and a room where the cats can be kept out of when you and your
bird want some time alone. We have three dogs and a cat and have had our
CAG, Andy, for over two years. No problem. Like a small child, you don't
leave it alone and unsupervised with ANY possible threat or danger. I say
go for it. I would try to get one that's very young, that hasn't had the
chance to pick up fears and phobias or had any bad experiences with other
animals. When we ask Andy, "what does the kitty say" he answers with a
long drawn out "meeoooooow". Other than that, they pretty much ignore each
other. Good luck ... and don't scrimp on the cage and toys.

Cool,

I am now the proud owner of 3 cats, and 2 african greys The parrots are
both a year old, 1 male, 1 female. Spend £300 on a MASSIVE cage, and they
have lots of cool parrot toys.
My cats are NEVER in my livingroom unsupervised, as they like to climb up my
chimney - the parrots are now in my livingroom, so they will never ever be
unsupervised with the cats in the room.

I will do the first introductions in the morning!!! Wish me luck

J.

Old July 16th 05, 12:18 AM
Peter Hucker

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:08:02 +0100, Jim wrote:

Don't you think that's a bit callous?

Not at all, I think its very sensible in fact. I would not simply going to
let the cats loose on the budgie, I would supervise the cats and very
quickly be able to asses if the bird was in any danger. Through supervised
visits, I would hope over time that the cats accept the budgie, however if
not, then the parrot would be a no-no. I would NEVER allow the cat to harm
any bird, I love all animals.

So would you then resell the budgie?

It seems you're saying it
doesn't matter that the budgie is terrified of you cats or gets hurt
because he cost you peanuts.

At no trime did I say I would let the budgie get hurt.

You'll still have to buy a cage for it
anyway and they're expensive.

Tell me about it, the thing cost me £300

What will you do with the budgie or
cockatiel when you buy your parrot?

I would have kept them, I love birds.

J.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com
http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

.-.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
_.--"""""""--;_
// \\
|| .-"""-. ||
|| / ... \ ||
|| | ::::: | ||
|| \ ''' / ||
|| '-...-' ||
|/.-----------.\|
||.-"""""""""-.||
|||___________|||
||[__][___][__]||
||=== ===== ===||
|\ === === /|
| `'""""""""""` |
|[TALK] === === |
|.---..---..---.|
||_1_||_2_||_3_||
|.---..---..---.|
||_4_||_5_||_6_||
|.---..---..---.|
||_7_||_8_||_9_||
|.---..---..---.|
||_*_||_0_||_#_||
|____ _____ ____|
|==== ===== ====|
|==== ___ ====|
| .'` `'. |
| / .:::. \ |
\ ' ' /
`--.........--'
Old July 16th 05, 12:21 AM
Mary

"KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot net wrote in message

"Mary" wrote

They are not that big!

I must be thinking of another kind of parrot. I admit, I don't really

know
my birds!

The big ones scare the pee out of me! Here is one photo that shows
their size, relative to a person:

http://www.setileague.org/photos/bioastro/bioa9907.jpg

They are certainly not small, but I imagine a cat would do
more harm to them than them to a cat.

I love these birds, and would have one if I could. They are
very smart and have lots of personality. They are also pretty
expensive.

Old July 16th 05, 12:23 AM
Peter Hucker

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:11:40 +0100, Jim wrote:

"Forrest" wrote in message
[...]

You'd better be ready, cat's are fast.
I hope your cats are more controllable than this:

How to wash a cat:

1. Thoroughly clean the toilet.

2. Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.

3. Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids(you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape).
CAUTIONo not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any purchase they can find.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power wash and rinse" which I have found to be quite effective.

6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com
http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

_.-"-._
_.-' `-._
_.-' `-,-"-._
|-._ _.-'" `-._
_.-"-._`-._ _.-' `-,-"-._
_.-' `-._`-._|-._ _.-'" `-._
_.-' `-._| `-._ _.-"-,-' `-._
"-._ _.-| _.-" "`-._ _.-"
`-._ _.-'_.-"-,-' `-._ _.-'
`-._ _.-'_.-' "`-._ _.-|_.-'
|_.-' `-._ _.-' "
"-._ _.-|_.-'
`-._ _.-' "
`-._ _.-'
"
Old July 16th 05, 12:34 AM
Peter Hucker

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:21:34 +0100, Mary wrote:

"KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot net wrote in message

"Mary" wrote

They are not that big!

I must be thinking of another kind of parrot. I admit, I don't really

know
my birds!

The big ones scare the pee out of me! Here is one photo that shows
their size, relative to a person:

http://www.setileague.org/photos/bioastro/bioa9907.jpg

That's smaller than a cat.

Try this one. http://80.229.155.158/parrots/Macaws...g%20yogurt.jpg

--
http://www.petersparrots.com
http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested in her he is.
Old July 16th 05, 01:42 AM
Mary

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news