Bald ear

Old November 23rd 03, 06:58 PM
Karen

Default Bald ear

Pearl's right ear had a very little bald spot earlier this week. Today it
has trippled in size. I will be taking her to the vet as soon as I can get
in this week. There is no scabbing or redness. I had not thought it was from
scratching because of that. I do think that ear is itching her. Anyone else
have this happen? I know she is not a terribly happy cat and though I do
everything I can think of to make her happy, I can't seem to. I don't now if
that plays into it or not.

Karen

Old November 24th 03, 04:28 AM
Allegra640

Karen, just curious, what makes you think that Pearl isn't happy? It's
interesting because I often feel that way about Lola & Vera ...

Tracy
Old November 24th 03, 04:44 AM
Marina

"Karen" wrote
Pearl's right ear had a very little bald spot earlier this week. Today it
has trippled in size. I will be taking her to the vet as soon as I can get
in this week. There is no scabbing or redness. I had not thought it was

from
scratching because of that. I do think that ear is itching her. Anyone

else
have this happen? I know she is not a terribly happy cat and though I do
everything I can think of to make her happy, I can't seem to. I don't now

if
that plays into it or not.

This is not quite the same thing, but Nikki had a spot by her eye that lost
all the fur. A visit at TED's showed an exceptionally large bacterial flora
in that area, and I got a salve which cleared the problem, but it's not
quite clear why the bacteria suddenly decided to multiply in that area.
Might be because she has quite runny eyes, and the area is always wet. That
wouldn't apply to the ear, of course. Purrs that Pearl's ear gets its fur
back, and it's not a symptom of anything serious. I'm sure you know how to
make her happy, you're a wonderful Meowmie, Karen.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 24th 03, 05:28 AM
Christine Burel

"Karen" wrote in message
Pearl's right ear had a very little bald spot earlier this week. Today it
has trippled in size. I will be taking her to the vet as soon as I can get
in this week. There is no scabbing or redness. I had not thought it was

from
scratching because of that. I do think that ear is itching her. Anyone

else
have this happen? I know she is not a terribly happy cat and though I do
everything I can think of to make her happy, I can't seem to. I don't now

if
that plays into it or not.

Karen

Midnight has had this before too, I think and I personally think it's some
sort of allergy because it always shows up at the same time of year. You
might try asking about a skin supplement; I was given DermCaps Liquid to try
out and I think it helped some -- it's a fatty acid supplement. Please keep
us posted.
Christine

Old November 24th 03, 06:11 AM
Takayuki

Karen wrote:

in article , Allegra640 at
wrote on 11/23/03 10:28 PM:

Karen, just curious, what makes you think that Pearl isn't happy? It's
interesting because I often feel that way about Lola & Vera ...

Tracy

She just seems "uncontent" alot of the time. I play with her everyday and
try to give her a lot of attention, but while she accepts some petting and
loving, she wants "something else" I can tell. I just don't know what that
is. She seemed much more content in our old smaller apartment. She walks
around meowing a lot. She's had a LOT of big changes in her life. I'm sure
that has a lot to do with it. The view out the windows was probably more
interesting in our old place. Even though we have BIG windows, we were four
floors up with BIG trees and LOTS of birds and bats at the old place. the
birds are not so close now. *sigh*. It's just a feeling basically. I can't
keep her stimulated enough. I know that her leg bothers her sometimes and
that probably makes her a bit grumpy. I've had grumpy cats before, but this
is different. She wants *something*. She'll come up, glare at me and bite my
arm as if to say "You stupid human can't you figure it out?" I don't get mad
at her as it's ME that doesn't figure it out (and she does not bite hard). I
don't know. I just don't think she is happy.

Birds and BATS? That's a new one! That means that Pearl could be
entertained both night and day - how neat!

I hope that Pearl will find a way to be happy. This reminds me of
Angela's cat, Gem (I haven't seen Angela post here in ages). She once
said that for over a year, Gem used to beg her for something every
time she she walked by her desk. Whenever this happened, Angela would
give her a toy mousie from the desk, and Gem would just walk away
disgusted. It turned out that all that time, Gem wanted some catnip
from a baggie she kept there!

Old November 24th 03, 06:27 AM
Yowie

"Karen" wrote in message
Pearl's right ear had a very little bald spot earlier this week. Today it
has trippled in size. I will be taking her to the vet as soon as I can get
in this week. There is no scabbing or redness. I had not thought it was

from
scratching because of that. I do think that ear is itching her. Anyone

else
have this happen? I know she is not a terribly happy cat and though I do
everything I can think of to make her happy, I can't seem to. I don't now

if
that plays into it or not.

Its highly likely thats its ringworm, which is a fungal infection and easy
to treat.

I get a form of it in my scalp alot if I don't use medicated shampoo.
Sometimes its a bit itchy but it doesn't hurt, and looks like round areas
that have dandruff in them on me. There are different forms though, and some
cause the hair/fur to fall out in that patch. It *is* infectious, but not
terribly dangerous.

Still, it might be something else, so it needs to be checked out.

Yowie