Diarrhea & Innova?

Old February 15th 04, 03:27 AM
Amy

Default Diarrhea & Innova?

Abit of background:

My cats have been on Innova lite cat dry food for approx 1.5 years and
they've had no problems with it at all. A few weeks ago, I started a new
bag of Innova and they started having diarrhea and vomiting. I switched
over to Science Diet ID to clear up the diarrhea. I reintroduced Innova
(same bag) back into their diet and the diarrhea resumed. After putting
the cats back on ID for awhile, I started the cats on another bag on
Innova (same expiration date as the prior) and the diarrhea resume. After
putting the cats back on strictly ID, I then started them on another bag
on Innova with a different expiration date but the diarrhea came back.
I switched them back onto ID and I reintroduced Innova canned food (they
were previously on the canned food but I didn't feed them any can food
since the start of the diarrhea), for awhile it seemed fine but now
they're experiencing diarrhea and vomiting again.

I've experimented with bags of Innova with 4 different sets of expiration
dates and the result has been quite consistent. I am switching them to
another diet - experimenting with Wellness and Burn's.

Now the question, it looks as if they've suddenly developed an intolerance
to Innova - I phoned up Natura and they haven't changed any of their
formula so it would seem that something else is happening. Some person at
my pet food store suggested that with gourmet cat foods, sometimes it's
too rich for them. Is this valid? What else might be happening?

My cats are strictly indoors and nothing else changed in their
environment, etc. They were formerly free-fed but I have since switched
them to fixed feeding but that was sometime during the fight with diarrhea
and is unlikely to be responsible.

Thanks.
Amy
Old February 15th 04, 10:47 AM
Phil P.

"Amy" wrote in message
news
Now the question, it looks as if they've suddenly developed an intolerance
to Innova - I phoned up Natura and they haven't changed any of their
formula so it would seem that something else is happening. Some person at
my pet food store suggested that with gourmet cat foods, sometimes it's
too rich for them. Is this valid?

No, I don't think so... A gradual transition`to a new diet usually
acclimates the cat to the different ingredients and` formulation.

Pet store clerks generally are not a very reliable source of nutrition
information. They usually have no training in nutrition other than what the
manufacturers tell them...

What else might be happening?

Maybe Innova uses "least cost formulation" to compound their diets (not that
they would ever admit it). This means that the proportion and quality of
ingredients fluctuate with ingredient prices. Thus the final formula at any
given time depends on a computer program, which may or may not the kick out
the same formulation as the one actually tested. Variations in formulas can
range from minor to almost a completely different diet!

I seriously doubt their "human grade" marketing gimmick means their diets
contain prime or choice cuts!

Phil

Old February 15th 04, 06:31 PM
Joe Canuck

Amy wrote:

[...]

I have some experience with Innova.

The formula contains a lot of ingredients. In my experience I found one
of my cats could tolerate it while the other could not... the evidence
was in the extremely stinky poop.

I'd suggest switching to a very simple formula if you want to stick with
Natura... try the California Natural Chicken & Rice. I've had reasonable
results with that one.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old February 15th 04, 11:30 PM
Amy

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:31:45 -0500, Joe Canuck wrote:

Amy wrote:

[...]

Hmmm... that was definitely happening.

I'd suggest switching to a very simple formula if you want to stick with
Natura... try the California Natural Chicken & Rice. I've had reasonable
results with that one.

Thanks, I'll definitely give that a try.

Amy

Old February 16th 04, 01:56 AM
Joe Canuck

Amy wrote:

[...]

Your results may vary, but I will tell you my results with California
Natural Chicken & Rice dry.

They were not crazy about it but they did consume it day after day
without complaint. I noticed a definite decrease in litter box odour as
well as decreased volume of deposits.

Although having moved to an area where I can no longer get it... I am
still very much a fan of California Natural.

I have one on Science Diet Chicken & Rice with pretty much the same
results... seems to be a wee bit more volume in the litter box.

Old February 16th 04, 02:09 AM
Cheryl

Phil P. wrote in on 15 Feb
2004:

Pet store clerks generally are not a very reliable source of nutrition
information. They usually have no training in nutrition other than
what the manufacturers tell them...

Kind of like the kind of information we keep getting here on Usenet.

--
Cheryl

Trapped like rats. In a chia-pet.
MIB II