What Do you do? A Poll

Old January 16th 05, 07:50 PM
Bev

Sherry wrote:

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for
one) and so forth.

Before desktop publishing was ever heard of, I was a "typesetter." There's a
word you don't hear anymore.
More recently I managed the art department at a metro newspaper and did ad
design / layout, page layout, etc. Then my health just didn't allow me to work
anymore.
Now I think I'm what you call a recluse.

Sherry

Sherry, I did typesetting for a couple of years. I worked for a
newspaper and as we typed our words came out on a sort of tape as a
series of dots. You had to learn the code. The tapes were then fed
into a typesetting machine. It was a step forward from the linotype
setters. You had to be a very fast typist. Interesting.

Bev
--
Cats aren't clean, they're just covered with cat spit.
Old January 16th 05, 08:06 PM
Debbie Wilson

jmcquown wrote:

It's like clear cinnamon schnapps with flakes of 18 karat gold in it. Very
potent stuff.

Goodness!! :-)

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old January 16th 05, 09:39 PM
William Hamblen

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:50:35 +1300, Bev wrote:

Sherry wrote:

[...]

If you belonged to the union you were a typographer.

My late uncle set hot metal type for years. He retired just as the
newspaper was getting the Photon machines.

Old January 16th 05, 09:54 PM
Bev

Sherry wrote:

[...]

I did belong to the union. I can remember that women were paid the
same as men, not common in those days. Another memory was telling DH I
had to be at work early. "Why?", he asked. "We are going to go on
strike," I said, rofl. It was a militant union. I also remember one of
the subs touching a linotype machine. We all downed tools in a second
and the paper was late.

Bev
--
Cats aren't clean, they're just covered with cat spit.
Old January 16th 05, 10:28 PM
Yowie

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:58:54 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

SHHHHH! Aussie wine & tim tams are an Aussie secret. Be careful unless

you
want *everyone* to get the idea and then the price will sky rocket and

the
yumminess decrease as all the best stuff becomes marked for export.

:-)

Yowie

Okay, I gotta ask.

What is a tim tam???

TimTams are a chocoholic's idea of paradise. Take two chocolate biscuits
(cookies). Slap some chocolate cream in between them. Cover the lot with a
generous amount of chocolate.

TimTam Slam: Nibble off one set of hte diagonally opposite corners. Insert
one corner into Kahlua, Tia Maria, Bailey's or other sweet liquer that would
go with chocolate. Suck the other corner of the timtam as hard as you can.
Once you can taste the liquer, the timtamslam is ready to eat :-)

Overseas Aussies pine for vegemite, timtams, cherry ripes, violet crumbles,
twisties and real beer :-)

Yowie

Old January 16th 05, 10:40 PM
Victor Martinez

Yowie wrote:
Overseas Aussies pine for vegemite, timtams, cherry ripes, violet crumbles,
twisties and real beer :-)

TimTams sound delicious... but vegemite!?!?!?!?!?!

Victor, shuddering at the thought of vegemite....

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 17th 05, 12:12 AM
Helen Miles

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
The
significant point here was that they are about the size, shape, and
color of a puck. Before he turned, he unwrapped the Moon Pie and palmed
the puck.

Facing the players, he announced "I am getting tired of this. You think
you're tough? Let me show you tough." At which point, as far as they
were concerned, he ate the puck.///

This sounds like a GREAT practical joke. Where can I get a "Moon pie"?
;o)

Helen M (who's in the UK)

Old January 17th 05, 02:09 AM
William Hamblen

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:12:07 +0000 (UTC), "Helen Miles"
wrote:

Where can I get a "Moon pie"?

http://www.moonpie.com