Cat sick for months :(

Old April 6th 05, 05:48 PM
Jennifer

Default Cat sick for months :(

My poor Boo is about a year old; we adopted him about six months ago.
He started having bloody, mucousy diarrhea about two months ago. We
took him to the vet along with a feces sample. They said it was
probably coccidia (he was a feral rescue kitten) and put him on
antibiotics and Albon. He seemed to get a little bit better for a week
or two, then got bad again.

We took him to a different vet who has better weekend hours. They
found no signs of coccidia, but put him back on Albon just in case,
plus an intestinal antibiotic and an anti-diarrheal. No improvement
after 10 days. We took him back.

They gave us a hypoallergenic food, Hill's something-or-other A/P
maybe? Sorry, the bag's at home. Two new antibiotics and an increased
dosage of the anti-diarrheal medication. It's been another 10 days.
Still no improvement.

Of course, this is all extra fun because he's a medium haired cat, so
we have to clip his behind once a week, which he does not enjoy, and we
line the room where we keep the litter box with paper since he won't go
in the box while he's sick.

He's had a low-grade fever the whole time, but his fur is shiny, and
he's still playful and happy, though he's starting to lose a little
weight.

So now we have a choice - endoscopy or observation in a controlled
environment at the vet's office for several days. I don't know which
one will be more stressful for him. He's such an awesome cat; I really
hate to put him under either stress.

A friend is pushing us to try a raw diet in case it's a food allergy
even to something in the hypoallergenic food. Of course, there's no
guarantee that he would not be allergic to whatever raw diet we might
try, and there are added risks associated with raw diets.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm really starting to worry, and costs are
really mounting up.

--
Jennifer

Old April 6th 05, 07:31 PM
kaeli

In article .com,
enlightened us with...
My poor Boo is about a year old; we adopted him about six months ago.
He started having bloody, mucousy diarrhea about two months ago. We
took him to the vet along with a feces sample. They said it was
probably coccidia (he was a feral rescue kitten) and put him on
antibiotics and Albon. He seemed to get a little bit better for a week
or two, then got bad again.

Did they test for Giardia?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHea...s_giardia.html

How about Distemper?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHea...eukopenia.html

IBD?
http://www.bestfriends.org/members/h...felinflbwl.htm

He's had a low-grade fever the whole time, but his fur is shiny, and
he's still playful and happy, though he's starting to lose a little
weight.

Was he tested for FIV and FeLV to rule them out as causes of the fever?

A friend is pushing us to try a raw diet in case it's a food allergy
even to something in the hypoallergenic food. Of course, there's no
guarantee that he would not be allergic to whatever raw diet we might
try, and there are added risks associated with raw diets.

My opinion: IANAV...
If you really think it's his food, try just giving him plain, boiled chicken
(human-grade) for a few days with a liquid vitamin supplement (ONLY vitamins
to be sure it doesn't trigger allergies).
If that helps, THEN look into raw diets.

If it were MY cat, I would do the endoscopy before the observation, but only
after ruling out every other virus and bacteria that might cause it and
changing the food as I said above. There IS a chance it is cancer or
pancreatitis, but I wouldn't think the chances are very high in a cat so
young.

Again, IANAV, so take this for what it is: my opinion as a cat owner.

~kaeli~
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless
interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an
otherwise dull day.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old April 6th 05, 08:26 PM
Mathew Kagis

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Jennifer: Sorry for your problems. I'd suggest getting on pet medical
insurance, but they don't cover pre-existing conditions.

I'm currently looking at switching my cats to a raw diet. Right now I switch
between Wellness Kitten formula & California Natural Chicken & Rice... I
would NOT reccomend switching to raw while the cat is sick, it'll just
further complicate the issue. As to what's wrong with your cat...? I wish
I knew, I really do... Please keep us posted.... Here's some links on raw
catfood:

http://www.pet-grub.com/

http://www.ehow.com/how_12698_make-homemade-cat.html

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old April 7th 05, 12:36 AM
Phil P.

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...
My poor Boo is about a year old; we adopted him about six months ago.
He started having bloody, mucousy diarrhea about two months ago.

If your cat has had diarrhea for two months, he is probably dehydrated and
may need fluid therapy to replace his losses and restore electrolyte
balance. Do his gums and mucous membranes look tacky or pale? When you
pinch his skin on the back of his neck, does snap right back into place or
does it stay in a tent position for a few seconds? Also, do his eyes appear
slighty sunken?

We
took him to the vet along with a feces sample. They said it was
probably coccidia (he was a feral rescue kitten) and put him on
antibiotics and Albon. He seemed to get a little bit better for a week
or two, then got bad again.

We took him to a different vet who has better weekend hours. They
found no signs of coccidia, but put him back on Albon just in case,
plus an intestinal antibiotic and an anti-diarrheal. No improvement
after 10 days. We took him back.

Actually, it sounds like Giardia or a gastrointestinal obstruction to me --
which is probably why your vets couldn't find anything on a routine fecal
exam. The fecal sample needs to be centrifuged in a zinc sulfate solution
for about 5 minutes - standard floation procedures don't detect Giardia.
Centrifugation is necessary to force the Giardia cyst to float in zinc
sulfate - then the slide must be read right away because Giardia cysts start
to shrink and change their form. You might to mention this to your vet and
ask him about a course of Albendazole.

At this stage, however, I'd probably order x-rays to rule out a
gastrointestinal foreign object - which can produce the *identical* symptoms
that you have described. I'm particularly concerned about the fever.
Certain types of gastrointestinal obstructions (linear foreign bodies) can
pleat and cut through the intestine wall and lead to pertonitis and sepsis.
So, I'd be in hurry to get some x-rays - or ideally, ultrasounds.

Best of luck.

Phil

Old April 7th 05, 01:34 AM
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

Actually, it sounds like Giardia or a gastrointestinal obstruction to

me --

You might to also mention Trichomonas to your vet - its a organism that
looks almost identical to Giardia but doesn't respond to treatment.

Old April 7th 05, 03:39 PM
Jennifer

Boo has had all of his shots, including distemper, and he was tested
for FIV and FeLV before we adopted him.

I will being all of this up with my vet on Friday, though. Thanks very
much for the informative and helpful responses

--
Jennifer

Old April 12th 05, 10:12 PM
Jennifer

Jennifer wrote:
My poor Boo is about a year old; we adopted him about six months ago.
He started having bloody, mucousy diarrhea about two months ago...

snip long story

X-rays - negative.
Giardia - negative (they had tested for that before but hadn't
mentioned it).
Trichomonas - DH forgot to ask about that one.
Blood tests - some possible indicators of pancreatic or viral problems
but nothing striking. Not sure how they worded it since my husband took
him to the vet.

The vet seems to think that there's still a good chance that it's a
food allergy. We have an appointment with an internist in a week and a
half and they gave us another anti-diarrheal medication for him...
Bional? Bional? Bio-something. Boo's still acting normal - playful,
shiny fur, healthy gums, and the weight loss was in my imagination,
apparently, because he weighed the same at his most recent appointment.

So, I guess we keep our fingers crossed that it's just an allergy and
that he's show more improvement with more time on the new food, and
then see what the internist has to say. Possible pancreatic problems
sounds kind of scary though. Even something viral could be bad. Augh.

Thanks again for the feedback.

--
Jennifer

Old April 12th 05, 10:27 PM
Helen Miles

"Phil P." wrote in message

You might to also mention Trichomonas to your vet - its a organism that
looks almost identical to Giardia but doesn't respond to treatment.

Another thing you might want to explore is Camphylobacter. It only
responds to eurythramicin and produces very similar symptoms to those
you describe.

Helen M

Old May 10th 05, 04:06 PM
Jennifer

Jennifer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
My poor Boo is about a year old; we adopted him about six months

ago.
He started having bloody, mucousy diarrhea about two months ago...

So, I guess we keep our fingers crossed that it's just an allergy and
that he's show more improvement with more time on the new food, and
then see what the internist has to say. Possible pancreatic problems
sounds kind of scary though. Even something viral could be bad.

Augh.

One endoscopy, two biopsies, one month, and $1400 later...

It's not viral. It's not bacterial. It's not cancer. It has nothing to
do with his pancreas. Two regular vets plus one internist have run out
of tests to give him.

It's "severe, chronic bowel inflammation" with no perceptible cause,
but "probably due to something in his environment". We're starting a
course of steroids and anti-inflammatories today. He's still on the z/d
prescription diet.

Huge relief that it's not something that's going to kill him soon.
Smaller relief that it's nothing that will require surgery (though that
would be a nice, concrete solution to the problem).

He's still otherwise healthy and happy, although they shaved his front
legs for the endoscopy and he looks really silly right now

--
Jennifer

Old May 10th 05, 05:06 PM
Mary

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jennifer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
[...]

Bless you for taking such good care of him. I hope it proves to
be something that changing his diet will ameliorate.