Thanks for advice CRF/Transplant

Old May 1st 05, 03:28 AM
WildWestCats

Default Thanks for advice CRF/Transplant

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice regarding my Tribble kitty and
her CRF. I brought her to another vet who prescribed something for her
nausea, 1/4 tablet Pepcid AC daily. She also gave me Tumil K pills,
instead of the gel that I had been unsuccessfully using. Tribble is on
100 cc of fluids daily and 1 cc of B12 weekly. The vet said that she
isn't anemic enough to put on Epogen. In 2 weeks she'll be getting her
bloodwork done again.

After giving the transplant possibility a lot of thought, we decided not
to do it. Not only was it not financially feasible but it seems like a
lot to put a kitty through.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Old May 1st 05, 03:38 AM
Candace

WildWestCats wrote:
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice regarding my Tribble kitty

and
her CRF. I brought her to another vet who prescribed something for

her
nausea, 1/4 tablet Pepcid AC daily. She also gave me Tumil K pills,
instead of the gel that I had been unsuccessfully using. Tribble is

on
100 cc of fluids daily and 1 cc of B12 weekly. The vet said that she

isn't anemic enough to put on Epogen. In 2 weeks she'll be getting

her
bloodwork done again.

After giving the transplant possibility a lot of thought, we decided

not
to do it. Not only was it not financially feasible but it seems like

lot to put a kitty through.

Thanks again for all of the input!

I hope she does well. My CRF kitty did well for over 2 yrs. after
diagnosis and I've heard of many cats going far longer than that.

As an aside, I've always heard that one of the stipulations of a kidney
transplant in cats is that the transplantee's owner must also take the
donor cat and provide it a good life. That only seems right. I hope
it's the case.

Candace

Old May 1st 05, 08:11 PM
WildWestCats

Candace wrote:
WildWestCats wrote:

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice regarding my Tribble kitty

I hope she does well. My CRF kitty did well for over 2 yrs. after
diagnosis and I've heard of many cats going far longer than that.

Thanks, Candace. The vet said that the Chinese believe that you can
look into a patient's eyes and gauge their "shen", which I think she
said was like the will to live. She said Tribble's "shen" was very
strong. I think it's comparable to being full of **** and vinegar,
which describes my Tribble perfectly!

Our first fluids session went remarkably well - she was a little bit
antsy but not too bad and I was able to do it myself. I hope future
sessions go as well!

As an aside, I've always heard that one of the stipulations of a kidney
transplant in cats is that the transplantee's owner must also take the
donor cat and provide it a good life. That only seems right. I hope
it's the case.

The woman who cat sits for me had a kidney transplant kitty in the
mid-90s. The first transplant went awry, so the kitty had to have a 2nd
one. She ended up bringing home both donor cats. So, yes, that is true.