[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old January 29th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Victor Martinez wrote:
Helen Wheels wrote:
What, not even muumuus? Aw...

Well, maybe some kinds of dresses are ok:
http://www.utilikilts.com/

In very hot weather that would allow for a nice cool breeze

I have an item of apparel related to a corset. Its one of those
crushed velvet lace-up things that push up your boobs that look
appropriate at SCA meetings. Providing I didn't have to breath
heavily (as it was *tight* being laced up) it was the best thing on a
summer's day. For the first time in *years* I had the delight in
feeling a cool breeze underneath my boobs. It was *wonderful*.

My bodyshape suits "buxom wench" type style. Shame its been out of
fashion for several hundred years :-)

Yowie

Not at all out of fashion these days! They are sexy but not "naughty"; some
look great with a skirt or slacks. John loves the two I have and yes, I
wear them in public. They aren't *underwear*, they are tops. Mine either
zip up the side or hook down the front though.

Jill

Old January 29th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yoj wrote:
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
point. No, you can't wear sweats to the office. No, your skirt
can't be up to your bum. No, you can't wear tube tops. Yes, you
may wear slacks; tailored style (like khaki's) but not skin tight.
You may wear sleeveless blouses but not tank tops. You'd think
some of this would be common sense but apparently it wasn't.

Wow... my employer is very, very relaxed regarding dress code. Many
folks wear shorts, t-shirts and sandals to work. I'm talking
engineers here, so it's not a pretty sight... ;-)
Most people wear jeans/slacks and button-down shirts though. I'd
never wear a t-shirt or shorts to work.

--
Victor M. Martinez

Engineers and computer programmers can often get away with dressing
in a manner that would earn another type of office worker a reprimand.

Joy

It's funny what will earn a reprimand. One morning when I left for work it
was snowing like *mad*. I was absolutely certain half the staff wouldn't
show up for work. I went but I elected to wear (not faded) black jeans and
a sweater in case my car got stuck someplace enroute (I didn't have a cell
phone). The snow stopped a while later. My then manager went to my
supervisor [my supervisor related this to me later] and said something like,
"Jill is wearing jeans. You need to talk to her." My supervisor replied,
"I don't have a problem with how Jill is dressed. She's usually the best
dressed person in the department. So if you have a problem with it, *you*
say something to her." So the manager tells me you know we aren't supposed
to wear jeans, even black jeans to work. I replied yes, I know that, but
when I was on the road at 6AM it was snowing heavily, that's why I dressed
this way. She really couldn't think of a thing more to say since by the
time she moseyed into the office the snow had stopped. She was probably
sound asleep when I was out driving in it.

Jill

Old January 29th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I used to wear jeans to work on days like that when I worked at Target - and
jeans were very highly frowned upon - but noone ever said a word to me, as I
*always* showed up for work, regardless of the weather. Some of the rattier
jeans I would throw an elastic waited long skirt on over, and with my boots
up to my knees, no one was the wiser.

The *one* time I called in because of weather, I still lived at Mom's a
county south of the store, and we had an *ice* storm. 1/4 to 1/2 aqn inch
covered everything. The neighbor's kids were ice skating in the street! I
called my supervisor and said that nothing was moving here, not even the
county trucks to sand the roads. She didn't believe me. I told her fine,
get in her souped up Trans Am and come get me - see how far past the county
line you get (she declined), and then hung up on her, called and spoke with
the Store Manager, who *knew* about the ice storm (read: she didn't have her
head up her @$$, and listened to weather reports), and she said no problem,
she'd speak with my supervisor. Supervisor wasn't there very much longer
after that .

Old January 29th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

I'm down to 125lb at 5'5" and I still look a bit chubby around the middle
and upper arms - the ideal weight for my height and my frame starts at 110lb
which, given my teeny tiny bones, I should be at. My "range" is 110lb to
125lb, so I'm *just* within my correct weight range.

Hah--we're the same height, but my "Range" is 140-150. I've been
steady at 150 most of my life, save when illness has made me lose
(unable to keep food down) or gain (unable to spend much time out of
bed).

--Fil

Old January 29th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

Since you mention the "plus-size" catalogs: I'm pretty much
limited to LaneBryant stores here (not as "trendy" as Avenue,
sometimes downright stodgy clothes) but Avenue has NO
stores in this state and online is how you gotta get their
faddish stuff (I like). I was shocked to learn from LB's
website (they are owned by some Penn. clothing
conglomerate) that they have *no connection whatsoever*
with the LB catalog! Check it out for yourself...I will never
buy anything again from the LB catalog, and had noticed
over years that stuff from that catalog I'd ordered was
always of inferior quality.

Oh, I always KNEW the catalog and the stores had no
connection - both store personnel and the catalog customer
service would tell you so. However, I don't think that's
any longer true - the stores may not have access to the same
merchandise, but one offered me a discount coupon for my
catalog order, if I couldn't find what I wanted in their
store. I used to buy a lot of clothes from Roaman's, which
seemed slightly better quality merchandise (but they are no
longer a separate entity - at least they come under the
"Brylane" umbrella, along with various catalogs for
menswear, home furnishings and kitchenware). Speaking of
larger fashions, Old Pueblo (in Arizona) has a plus-size
catalog called "Regalia" (although that's pretty
conservative i style). There's a company called
"Silhouettes" and another called "Just My Size" which offer
somewhat "younger" fashions (at slightly higher prices -
which might mean better quality). They have web-sites, but
I don't have ther URL's among my bookmarks. Lerner's have a
"Jessica London" catalog for women's sizes, too, but judging
from the Lerner web-site, they're ALL connected to
"Brylane"! (But then, since the merger of May Co. and
Federated Dept. Stores last year, no matter what large
department store you go to, they're ALL under the same
ownership, now - Macy's, Famous-Barr, Filene's,
whatever..... they may not bother to rename them, but the
ownership is the same for all of them.)

Old January 29th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm down to 125lb at 5'5" and I still look a bit chubby around the middle
and upper arms - the ideal weight for my height and my frame starts at
110lb
which, given my teeny tiny bones, I should be at. My "range" is 110lb to
125lb, so I'm *just* within my correct weight range.

Hah--we're the same height, but my "Range" is 140-150. I've been
steady at 150 most of my life, save when illness has made me lose
(unable to keep food down) or gain (unable to spend much time out of
bed).

--Fil

Yep, I have a friend like that - same height as me, but she starts looking
anorexic when she gets any lower than 145! She wears a size 8 ring.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 29th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Enfilade wrote:

Workout wear and t-shirts, the difference being that a "Juicies" brand
tracksuit is $300, whereas I got a nice velour set at Stitches for $20.

"Velour tracksuit" - how times change! It wasn't so very
long ago that those two words would NEVER appear together.
Velour and velvet/velveteen were reserved for dressy clothes
(and denim was strictly for sportswear). Now you see velour
tracksuits and denim formal gowns!

Old January 29th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message
I work at a medical school and it's easy to pick who's who by their dress.
The ones with the sharp-looking shirt-and-tie getup and a white coat with
a stethoscope hanging out of the pocket - they're the first year medical
students. The scruffy looking one with a T-shirt and shorts on - she's
probably the head of surgery, so be nice to her!

ROFL - Amen to that from a retired hospital worker far, far away from you.

Old January 29th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

As most of you know, I was very overweight most of my life. I too used to
*try* to shop in plus size catalogues. However, it used to drive me
absolutely bonkers that all the models in there were no more than a size
8! I knew that anything that made those skinny-minnies look fat would make
me look like a house. But even when something looked nice on a model, I
never knew how it would actually look on me - all of the models were at
least 80 - 100 pounds thinner than me! Did they think that heavier models
would make the clothes look bad and nobody would buy them??! If so they
weren't giving women enough credit for having even two brain cells
connected - and even less self-esteem!
CatNipped

Very true about the catalogs: in its ads, Avenue pretty much uses
"plus-size"
professional models, but the skinny ones are sprinkled in here and there.
From your pics it would appear you dress much more conservatively than
I do (Avenue is very trendy/faddy/fashionista; LB much less so) but I
really don't like buying clothes from catalogs because as you point out,
you never know what something will look like on YOU instead of either
in a drawing, photo, or a model 100# less than you, LOL......

Old January 29th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

which, given my teeny tiny bones, I should be at. My "range" is 110lb
125lb, so I'm *just* within my correct weight range.

CatNipped

Long ago, when I was a student in the 2-year training program for
radiology workers, I remember one of the first things to really
shock me was when I assisted the docs doing barium studies of
esophagus/stomach (barium swallow/UGI series) which start out
with patient standing on table platform, drinking at doc's command,
fluoroscopic images being taken.....and you see *everything*,
including not-overtly-visualized body piercings (!) here and there,
but that's not what shocked me, that was funny. Inside almost all
the large, overweight bodies of female patients was a skeleton
of tiny, delicate bone structure! Males, OTOH, if large or
overweight, usually had large skeletal structure to match their
body size. Interesting.

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 08:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 10:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 04:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM