Ping: dgk!

Old September 7th 17, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Ping: dgk!

Are you planning to evacuate for Hurricane Irma? Your mother and Marlo
with her along with Baby and all the cats?

There are people from Florida already moving, booking motels and hotels
(pet friendly) and travelling well ahead of the hurricane. It hasn't
even hit the States yet.

Got any plans for your mom and the cats?

Jill
Old September 7th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 10:00:57 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Are you planning to evacuate for Hurricane Irma? Your mother and Marlo
with her along with Baby and all the cats?

There are people from Florida already moving, booking motels and hotels
(pet friendly) and travelling well ahead of the hurricane. It hasn't
even hit the States yet.

Got any plans for your mom and the cats?

Jill

We're discussing it. We're unlikely to leave totally but we are
considering going to the nearby shelter. I'm researching that now. For
a normal hurricane we'd just stay put, but this one could be real
trouble. I can't leave Mom, and she really can't do a long drive.
Maybe we could fly, but the cats are an issue.

I don't know if we can take the cats to the local shelter and the ones
where you can take pets have fairly limited openings. What we might do
is lock the cats in the walk-in closet with plenty of food and water,
and two litter boxes, and we head to the shelter, hopefully for a day
or at most two. Mom says that things are really impassible after a
hurricane. That wasn't the case back in NYC, but she lived through
Wilma, which went right through our town.

If she's right, that's a mess. But I can't really forsee a condition
where I couldn't walk from that shelter back to the house. It's a long
walk but I play two hours of tennis most mornings so hoping over
downed trees is certainly doable. Downed power lines is something else
however.

These are wood frame houes. If I remember the Three Little Pigs
correctly, that's better than straw, but not as good as brick.

My cousin's wife was just operated on and they really have to stay.
They live two blocks away from me and hopefully my cousin could check
on the house. We don't know if the phones willl even be working
tkough.

We're set for a normal siege, lots of water, batteries, canned food,
and solar chargers. But if the roof is blown off and the walls come
down, well, that's another issue.

Thanks for thinking of us. We'll try to keep in touch, but I don't
know how to access newsgroups on a cell phone. Maybe I can use that
Facebook thing.
Old September 8th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I was here in SC for Hurricane Matthew last October and the roads were
impassible for days. The shelters here in SC do NOT take pets. I would
not feel right leaving Buffy behind even if she did have a ton of food
and water and litter. She wouldn't know what was going on and I'd worry
constantly.

If she's right, that's a mess. But I can't really forsee a condition
where I couldn't walk from that shelter back to the house. It's a long
walk but I play two hours of tennis most mornings so hoping over
downed trees is certainly doable. Downed power lines is something else
however.

Yes, downed power lines would be a problem. The shelters here are at
least 60 miles from where I live so no way could walk home to check.

These are wood frame houes. If I remember the Three Little Pigs
correctly, that's better than straw, but not as good as brick.

The houses around here are wood framed, too. I've only seen one or two
brick houses on this island.

My cousin's wife was just operated on and they really have to stay.
They live two blocks away from me and hopefully my cousin could check
on the house. We don't know if the phones willl even be working
tkough.

My phone went out last year after Matthew passed through. I managed to
get a couple of calls out the morning after to let my SO and my best
friend I was okay, then kaput. I don't have a cell phone (no good cell
reception on the island and I'm required to have a land-line for the
alarm system anyway, so why pay 2 phone bills?)

We're set for a normal siege, lots of water, batteries, canned food,
and solar chargers. But if the roof is blown off and the walls come
down, well, that's another issue.

Of course! I've got bottled water, batteries, flash lights and an LED
lantern. Canned food. A 10 lb bag of ice in the freezer (didn't lose
much food last year). Plenty of cat food! A charcoal grill and
charcoal, wooden matches to light it with. I also have hurricane (oil)
lamps, which I prefer over harsh LED lights.

Thanks for thinking of us. We'll try to keep in touch, but I don't
know how to access newsgroups on a cell phone. Maybe I can use that
Facebook thing.

Just try not to get blown away.

Jill
Old September 8th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

My prayers and thoughts are with all of you.

Your comment about the Three Little Pigs reminded me that the opposite
of their story holds true for earthquakes. I realize that hurricanes
are something else entirely. I've lived in Southern California all my
life, as did my Dad. He pointed out that in a severe earthquake a brick
house will disintegrate and a wood frame house will slide off its
foundation. In earthquake country, stucco houses are the safest - they
just crack.
Old September 8th 17, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/7/2017 7:22 PM, Joy wrote:
On 9/7/2017 1:46 PM, dgk wrote:
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 10:00:57 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Are you planning to evacuate for Hurricane Irma?Â* Your mother and Marlo
with her along with Baby and all the cats?

There are people from Florida already moving, booking motels and hotels
(pet friendly) and travelling well ahead of the hurricane.Â* It hasn't
[...]

of their story holds true for earthquakes.Â* I realize that hurricanes
are something else entirely.Â* I've lived in Southern California all my
life, as did my Dad.Â* He pointed out that in a severe earthquake a brick
house will disintegrate and a wood frame house will slide off its
foundation.Â* In earthquake country, stucco houses are the safest - they
just crack.

Cracked stucco is much better than just being blown over.

I'll bet some of the people on the islands in the caribbean are wishing
they'd never gone on HGTV's 'House Hunters International' and bought a
wooden house on the beach in the US Virgin Islands. Sorry, bad attempt
at humor.

My neighbor has offered to take me with her on Saturday when she goes to
visit her ex-DIL. She says I can bring Buffy. That's nice, really!
The problem is, even if the storm doesn't hit here, she wants to stay
for over a week so she can also visit with her grandkids, who will be
with their dad (her son, this is odd) this weekend. Her ex-DIL doesn't
get them until following weekend. Thanks, and nice offer! But I would
want to get home ASAP, not sit around waiting for her to see and spend
time with her grandkids.

I'm not sure what will happen in terms of the storm. The hurricane
track is all over the map. Florida is sure to get hit but after that,
all bets are off.

There aren't many places to go, anyway. Local news reports indicate
most hotel/motel rooms in GA are already reserved by people leaving
Florida. Not much place left for folks in SC to go...

Jill
Old September 8th 17, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I had no idea where dgk was... this is a horrendous situation to be
in. My heart goes out to everyone in the path of this damn thing.

There aren't many places to go, anyway. Local news reports indicate
most hotel/motel rooms in GA are already reserved by people leaving
Florida. Not much place left for folks in SC to go...

Virginia? Just get as far away as possible!

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
Old September 8th 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Mine does too. The problem is compounded by the fact that much work
still needs to be done to help with the recovery from Harvey. Resources
will be stretched very thin.

Old September 8th 17, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/7/2017 8:35 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
I had no idea where dgk was... this is a horrendous situation to be
in. My heart goes out to everyone in the path of this damn thing.

There aren't many places to go, anyway. Local news reports indicate
most hotel/motel rooms in GA are already reserved by people leaving
Florida. Not much place left for folks in SC to go...

Virginia? Just get as far away as possible!

What can I say? It's a big-ass storm. Virginia would be quite a drive.

It's probably a good idea except there really aren't many places to go.

Did you know there's another one right behind this one? 'Tis the season:

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index...._category.html

Hurricanes and tropical storms are much more active this year than any
old years I remember.

A large part of Texas is suffering due to Hurricane Harvey. Now here
comes Irma, maybe slamming right into me.

And right behind Irma, Hurricane Jose. This year we have a really
active hurricane season. I've never encountered anything like it.

Jill

Ping Pam Cheryl[_3_] Cat anecdotes 0 November 21st 10 09:38 PM
Ping Dan M ---MIKE--- Cat anecdotes 3 January 20th 09 12:42 AM
PING: Dan M Pat Cat anecdotes 3 October 2nd 06 04:38 PM
Ping Anyone Around LA Catnipped Cat anecdotes 21 June 21st 05 03:39 PM
Ping Suz Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 0 December 25th 04 08:01 AM