Losing Fur

Old July 20th 17, 11:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_6_]

Default Losing Fur

Kerry, my newish cat, seems to be lacking fur on part of her belly near
the back legs. I only just noticed - she loves being petted, but like
many cats, she takes exception to belly-rubs so I hadn't looked at her
belly in quite a while. I have an appointment with the vet for her
tomorrow - I hope it's just a bit of minor over-grooming.

Anyone have experience with cats losing fur?? She certainly grew it all
back after she was spayed about a year ago, and now, a largish area is
either very thin of or missing fur.

--
Cheryl
Old July 20th 17, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Kerry, my newish cat, seems to be lacking fur on part of her belly near
the back legs. I only just noticed - she loves being petted, but like
many cats, she takes exception to belly-rubs so I hadn't looked at her
belly in quite a while. I have an appointment with the vet for her
tomorrow - I hope it's just a bit of minor over-grooming.

Anyone have experience with cats losing fur?? She certainly grew it all
back after she was spayed about a year ago, and now, a largish area is
either very thin of or missing fur.

Yes, my Splodge used to lose it in quite large patches on his chest
and belly every so often. It always grew back and didn't seem to
have any health implications.

The surprising thing when you stroked him was that you realized how
*hot* cats are. By our standards they're running a fever all the
time.

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
Old July 20th 17, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/20/2017 6:07 AM, Cheryl wrote:
Kerry, my newish cat, seems to be lacking fur on part of her belly near
the back legs. I only just noticed - she loves being petted, but like
many cats, she takes exception to belly-rubs so I hadn't looked at her
belly in quite a while. I have an appointment with the vet for her
tomorrow - I hope it's just a bit of minor over-grooming.

Anyone have experience with cats losing fur?? She certainly grew it all
back after she was spayed about a year ago, and now, a largish area is
either very thin of or missing fur.

Not in the way you describe, no. Persia (RB 2014) started plucking at
her fur before she was diagnosed with hyperthyroid. Didn't help that
she was allergic to the medication and had the embarrassment of having
to wear a cone on her head. But there were also other symptoms. It
doesn't sound like Kerry is dashing around the house (more than the
occasional zoomies) or losing weight or appetite.

Hopefully the vet visit will tell you what you need to know about Kerry.
Please let us know!

Jill
Old July 20th 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/20/2017 11:11 AM, Jack Campin wrote:
The surprising thing when you stroked him was that you realized how
*hot* cats are. By our standards they're running a fever all the
time.

Yes! I was on the sofa yesterday, reading a book. Buffy was lounging
on top of me. It's sweet. I give her scritches. She purrs. She looks
at me sideways and blinks slowly at me. Charming!

Due to her sharp claws I always have a throw of some kind covering me.
And it quickly gets too hot. Okay, Buffy, move over. I love you, but
you're too darned hot.

It's no wonder I have AC and also run ceiling fans. Cats are hot
animals. It's wonderful when they want to curl up next to you. But
yes, they're hot.

And BTW, when we go to sleep, scoot over. I'm bigger than you are.

How can one little cat take up all of the bed?

Jill
Old July 20th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/20/2017 6:07 AM, Cheryl wrote:
Kerry, my newish cat, seems to be lacking fur on part of her belly near
the back legs. I only just noticed - she loves being petted, but like
many cats, she takes exception to belly-rubs

Not to detract from your concern about Kerry and the loss of fur. This
leads to another musing:

Why, if cats don't like belly rubs, do they display themselves like this?

https://s9.postimg.org/na751bla7/belly.jpg

That's Buffy just a few minutes ago. In a puddle of sunshine.

Here's the answer. It's a sign of trust. It shows they know you aren't
going to hurt them. They're exposed, vulnerable.

It does *not* mean they want you to rub their belly. No matter how soft
or tempting, be ready for the claws to come out.

Jill
Old July 21st 17, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Why, if cats don't like belly rubs, do they display themselves
like this?
https://s9.postimg.org/na751bla7/belly.jpg
That's Buffy just a few minutes ago. In a puddle of sunshine.
Here's the answer. It's a sign of trust. It shows they know
you aren't going to hurt them. They're exposed, vulnerable.
It does *not* mean they want you to rub their belly. No matter
how soft or tempting, be ready for the claws to come out.

Ollie and Marblecake both do that. Marblecake genuinely does want
you to rub her tummy and purrs ecstatically waving her paws in the
air when you do it. For Ollie, it's the "Venus flytrap" hunting
strategy and it can take some doing to get several pounds of hungry
gingerness off your hand.

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
Old July 21st 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 7/21/2017 12:03 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
Why, if cats don't like belly rubs, do they display themselves
like this?
https://s9.postimg.org/na751bla7/belly.jpg
That's Buffy just a few minutes ago. In a puddle of sunshine.
Here's the answer. It's a sign of trust. It shows they know
you aren't going to hurt them. They're exposed, vulnerable.
It does *not* mean they want you to rub their belly. No matter
how soft or tempting, be ready for the claws to come out.

Ollie and Marblecake both do that. Marblecake genuinely does want
you to rub her tummy and purrs ecstatically waving her paws in the
air when you do it. For Ollie, it's the "Venus flytrap" hunting
strategy and it can take some doing to get several pounds of hungry
gingerness off your hand.

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin

Rudy (RB) used to love belly rubs, but at some point he'd have enough
and then all the claws and teeth clamped on. He didn't get very many
belly rubs.
Old July 21st 17, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2017-07-21 4:53 PM, Joy wrote:
On 7/21/2017 12:03 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
Why, if cats don't like belly rubs, do they display themselves
like this?
https://s9.postimg.org/na751bla7/belly.jpg
That's Buffy just a few minutes ago. In a puddle of sunshine.
Here's the answer. It's a sign of trust. It shows they know
you aren't going to hurt them. They're exposed, vulnerable.
It does *not* mean they want you to rub their belly. No matter
how soft or tempting, be ready for the claws to come out.

Ollie and Marblecake both do that. Marblecake genuinely does want
you to rub her tummy and purrs ecstatically waving her paws in the
air when you do it. For Ollie, it's the "Venus flytrap" hunting
strategy and it can take some doing to get several pounds of hungry
gingerness off your hand.

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e
. u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

Rudy (RB) used to love belly rubs, but at some point he'd have enough
and then all the claws and teeth clamped on. He didn't get very many
belly rubs.

I don't think any of mine have really liked belly-rubs, although some of
them would stretch out on their backs and eye you as though inviting a
rub. It was all a ruse, though, maybe as Jack says a hunting strategy.

Well, Kerry's back from the vet, and it doesn't appear to be serious.
the way in which the fur is missing (some hairs left behind) makes the
vet think Kerry's licking and pulling at it, and it's not some kind of
endocrine disorder or other physical ailment, which would cause all the
hairs to fall out.

So it might be (a) fleas or mites or (b) stress. (a) seems quite
unlikely, since they're both indoor cats, but it's not entirely
impossible, so she suggested treating them for that, which has been
done. The other two suggestions were Feliway and a calming food. I
decided to try the Feliway but not, at least for now, the food. If
nothing else helps, Kerry can be given medication, but the vet suggested
a more conservative approach to start with.

I'm relieved it's not more serious. I was a bit shocked at the costs
involved - I can afford it, but I don't know how many people do since
lots of people have less income than I do. I'm not at all sure what
Kerry might have to be stressed about - she doesn't get on with
Cinnamon, but they've been in the house just over a year. And if one of
those two was getting stressed, I'd have said it would be Cinnamon, who
spends most of her time, with a full coat of fur, snoozing in the
bedroom and looking remarkably un-stressed.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. The vet also picked up a bit of coughing
or noisy breathing that Kerry has. Kerry had just recovered from cat flu
when I adopted her, and I thought it was just the remnants of a
lingering cough she had, which has slowly become less and less frequent
or noticeable. The vet said it could be that, but bring her back if it
got worse, because cats can also get asthma or allergies.

--
Cheryl
Old July 21st 17, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/21/2017 5:06 PM, Cheryl wrote:

Well, Kerry's back from the vet, and it doesn't appear to be serious.
the way in which the fur is missing (some hairs left behind) makes the
vet think Kerry's licking and pulling at it, and it's not some kind of
endocrine disorder or other physical ailment, which would cause all the
hairs to fall out.

So it might be (a) fleas or mites or (b) stress. (a) seems quite
unlikely, since they're both indoor cats, but it's not entirely
impossible, so she suggested treating them for that, which has been
done. The other two suggestions were Feliway and a calming food. I
decided to try the Feliway but not, at least for now, the food. If
nothing else helps, Kerry can be given medication, but the vet suggested
a more conservative approach to start with.

It's helpful when the vet doesn't immediately insist on expensive
treatment and costly food.

[...]

Yes, I'd keep an eye on that but otherwise it sounds like the bit of fur
loss is nothing serious. Fingers still crossed!

Jill
Old July 22nd 17, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

On 7/20/2017 5:07 AM, Cheryl wrote:
Kerry, my newish cat, seems to be lacking fur on part of her belly near
the back legs. I only just noticed - she loves being petted, but like
many cats, she takes exception to belly-rubs so I hadn't looked at her
belly in quite a while. I have an appointment with the vet for her
tomorrow - I hope it's just a bit of minor over-grooming.

Anyone have experience with cats losing fur?? She certainly grew it all
back after she was spayed about a year ago, and now, a largish area is
either very thin of or missing fur.

Is it possible that she has some food allergies? Many cats are allergic
to grains (especially corn). Of course, I know that you are already
careful of that, but it would be worthwhile to carefully look at the
list of ingredients, and also to use grain-free canned food.

MaryL

We're losing the S again Lesley Madigan Cat anecdotes 15 August 17th 14 08:28 PM
cat losing fur lori Cat health & behaviour 3 March 28th 06 10:26 PM
cat losing fur lori Cat health & behaviour 1 March 26th 06 11:13 PM
losing fur hawk Cat health & behaviour 6 February 20th 06 02:08 AM
Need Help-- Cat losing his EYE happilycrabby Cat health & behaviour 18 September 2nd 05 02:25 AM