My candle of hope was blown out.

Old June 24th 05, 04:11 PM
Pat

Default My candle of hope was blown out.

Well I had a brief glimpse of hope that I would soon have a decent place to
live, thanks to the USDA's Rural Development housing loan program, which
provides low-interest loans for low-income people for 100% of the selling
price of a home. I applied and got prequalified for up to $55k (assuming
social security does not cut off my income; I am still waiting for their
answer on that), and there are a few homes for sale in this area in that
price range.

In fact I found one that was almost ideal. It was built in 1990 and came
with THREE good-sized outbuildings, two wells, three a/c units, a
wrap-around deck, all new appliances (fridge, stove, washer/dryer) a nice
woodburning heat stove, and even a riding mower for the acre it sits on, all
for $39k asking price, just two miles out of town and far enough from
traffic for the cats to be safe.

Meanwhile, the acreage that I bought with my ex back in '99 and deeded over
to his daughter (who had lent us part of the funds to pay for it), finally
sold. I had signed it over to her because her dad had left me without the
means to build on it and I could not keep up the payments while
simultaneously paying rent. I had around $12k in equity and was counting on
getting some of that back when it sold. Well, the deal closed a few weeks
ago, and she hasn't sent me a dime or said she will be sending me anything,
so it looks like she intends to keep it all for herself.

This would not be an insurmountable problem if not for the fact that I just
learned from the Rural Dev. office that I will have to at least cover the
closing costs on the loan, which could be as high as $2500 due to all the
inspections required by this program. Also, my Toyota van needs a timing
chain, which will cost around $600 for parts and labor.

Now the house described above has been sold also, but not to me. Deals like
that are few and far between. I haven't got my own appliances so if I do
manage to buy a place I will probably also have to buy at least the fridge
and stove. I have never owned a washer/dryer in my life. It sure would have
been nice to have those!

So anyway I am back to Square One, looking at moving into a tent in the
forest. At least that way I can still be with the cats.

Old June 24th 05, 04:37 PM
Adrian

Pat wrote:
[...]

Bummer! I'm sorry you didn't get the house. Purrs that you find
somewhere soon, when you and your babies can be comfortable and safe.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old June 24th 05, 10:11 PM
polonca12000

I'm so very sorry to hear things have not worked out for you, Pat, I really
wish there was something I could do.
Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for another way to be found for you
to get a good place to stay,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old June 25th 05, 04:43 AM
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:

I have never owned a washer/dryer in my life. It sure would have
been nice to have those!

So anyway I am back to Square One, looking at moving into a tent in the
forest. At least that way I can still be with the cats.

How scary! You sound even more destitute than before! I really hope
you don't end up moving into a tent, because then we won't hear from
you again, and that'll make us very worried. And it would be
justified worry too.

Old June 25th 05, 05:47 AM
badwilson

I'm so sorry, that sounds like a very bad situation you're in. Why do
you have to move from where you are now? Purrs for a solution to be
found.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old June 25th 05, 07:46 AM

Pat wrote:
Well I had a brief glimpse of hope that I would soon have a decent place to
live, thanks to the USDA's Rural Development housing loan program, which
provides low-interest loans for low-income people for 100% of the selling
price of a home. I applied and got prequalified for up to $55k (assuming
social security does not cut off my income; I am still waiting for their
answer on that), and there are a few homes for sale in this area in that
price range.

snipped

This would not be an insurmountable problem if not for the fact that I just
learned from the Rural Dev. office that I will have to at least cover the
closing costs on the loan, which could be as high as $2500 due to all the
inspections required by this program.

Pat, are you sure they mean cash up-front for the closing costs? There
is a similar program here, and it's true that closing costs do run that
high, but they include them in the loan. It's also a program for
low-income folks. They know that $2500 is a lot of money and most folks
don't have that kind of cash lying around. Good luck to you, hang in
there.

Sherry

Old June 25th 05, 08:45 AM
Marina

Pat wrote:

So anyway I am back to Square One, looking at moving into a tent in the
forest. At least that way I can still be with the cats.

Sincerely hoping it won't come to that. We are purring hard for your
housing problems to work themselves out.

--
Marina, Frank and Miranda. In loving memory of Nikki.
Old June 26th 05, 06:43 AM
Christine Burel

wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry to read this, Pat, please know we're sending purrs and best wishes
for you right now.
Christine