!! Screens !!

Old October 29th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default !! Screens !!

I have been posting "thank you" messages to people who responded, but I
get the nagging suspicion that Google Groups is not working correctly
and there is the possiblity that none of them are getting through.

So, here I am thanking all the folks that responded.

The wife and I (and the two kittens) sat around and talked of the
suggestions. Then I went around and did some pricing.

My spouse thought of the next "thing to try" and I just put it up.
Just by putting up a heavy curtain over the screen (and tacking it in
place so the wind won't move it), we're hoping to keep the kittens off
the screens. They're a little nonplussed at seeing a "big cloth wall"
appear, but they're having fun checking that out, and they're still
getting plenty of fresh air.

It may work, it may not.

We still are talking about Animal Screen or setting up a tent for their
"outside room" in the porch, or putting up double sided tape or tin
foil or using "invisible fence" collars. We have water squirters too.

Thank you again for the responses! God bless,

tom

On Oct 22, 7:46 am, wrote:
We live in an apartment complex, so this is a security deposit issue.
Big bucks. Perhaps a thousand dollars.

Our kittens are about six months old now, indoor calico kittens/cats.
They love hanging out on the screened porch, which is ground level.
They can eyeball people walking by, and listen to birds, that kind of
thing.

BUT they have learned they can climb up on the screens, even run around
on these "walls" like Spiderman. They didn't do this very frequently
even a month ago, but they certainly are doing it now. They are growing
and getting heavier ... the screens are starting to show the damage.
They've caused one small tear already.

The screens in this apartment were almost pristine before the cats
showed up. The screens aren't pristine now.

If a grasshopper or some other bug lands on a screen, I have seen one
of the cats jump from halfway across the porch and all the way up to
the top of the screen, landing heavily, in an attempt to catch this
bug.

Will the apartment managers notice? I'd bet so; as I said, we're on
the ground floor, near the entrance, and the two kittens draw attention
(they're beautiful). I see people jogging by with their I-pods, and
they will turn their heads to look at the great calico cats running up
and down the screens.

So ...

I have banned them from the porch, for now, until the wife and I come
up with some sort of strategy. Like spraying Bitter Apple on the
screens each and every time they go out. Or taping up tin foil.

Of course, the cats don't understand. They keep hinting that they'd
like to go out on the porch again.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? We do not want to be
shelling out a thousand dollars to replace the landlord's screens.

tom

Rhett scared me Cheryl Cat anecdotes 8 July 1st 06 04:35 AM
Ripping out the screens (pics) Susan M Cat anecdotes 9 April 2nd 06 02:50 PM
Kittens climbing screens...help!! LEC1985 Cat health & behaviour 5 September 1st 05 03:13 PM
cats destroying screens... Jason Travis Cat health & behaviour 5 February 25th 05 10:38 PM
Cats and screens [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 28 May 21st 04 01:37 PM