Maia Kitty has Hyperthyroid Disease

Old December 1st 04, 01:57 AM
Save Maia Kitty

Default Maia Kitty has Hyperthyroid Disease

Maia Kitty was recently diagnosed with Feline Hyperthyroid disease. I
have created a website (www.savemaiakitty.com) to help raise money for
her treatment and to help others become more informed about this
common ailment in cats. If you have any helpful info about this
disease or would like to make a "cat-ribution", please let me know.
Thanks!
Old December 1st 04, 02:08 AM
Mary

"Save Maia Kitty" wrote in message
om...
Maia Kitty was recently diagnosed with Feline Hyperthyroid disease. I
have created a website (www.savemaiakitty.com) to help raise money for
her treatment and to help others become more informed about this
common ailment in cats. If you have any helpful info about this
disease or would like to make a "cat-ribution", please let me know.
Thanks!

All you have to do is give Maia Tapazole until you can save the money
for the radiation treatment. Tapazole is cheap and effective and Maia
can live a long healthy life if you NEVER get her the $1,200 radiation
treatment.
Many of us have hyperthyroid cats.

Old December 1st 04, 02:33 AM
Mary

"Barb" wrote in message
. verio.net...
My cat has a hyper thyroid and has been on thyroid medication for several
years. We now get her meds from the Road Runner-$70 for 100 capsules.
That's less than a dollar a day. Telephone # 877-518-4589. Call is free
and so far shipping has been free, too. There are blood tests every few
months to make sure the dose is correct but again that averages out to $1

day. So get yourself a can and start saving those dollars. Two dollars

day should cover all with maybe $30 left over every few months or so. Or
throw all your loose change in at the end of each day.

--

She has already had the radiation therapy done, with the help of
over a hundred charity dollars, but wants us to reimburse her for

Old December 1st 04, 03:28 AM
Barb

My cat has a hyper thyroid and has been on thyroid medication for several
years. We now get her meds from the Road Runner-$70 for 100 capsules.
That's less than a dollar a day. Telephone # 877-518-4589. Call is free
and so far shipping has been free, too. There are blood tests every few
months to make sure the dose is correct but again that averages out to $1 a
day. So get yourself a can and start saving those dollars. Two dollars a
day should cover all with maybe $30 left over every few months or so. Or
throw all your loose change in at the end of each day.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old December 1st 04, 03:37 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

"Barb" wrote in message
. verio.net...
My cat has a hyper thyroid and has been on thyroid medication for

several
years. We now get her meds from the Road Runner-$70 for 100 capsules.
That's less than a dollar a day. Telephone # 877-518-4589. Call is

free
and so far shipping has been free, too. There are blood tests every few
months to make sure the dose is correct but again that averages out to

$1
day. So get yourself a can and start saving those dollars. Two

dollars
day should cover all with maybe $30 left over every few months or so.

Or
throw all your loose change in at the end of each day.

--

She has already had the radiation therapy done,

That's what I initially thoiught, but... unless I read it wrong...

with the help of
over a hundred charity dollars, but wants us to reimburse her for
more of it. It's her cat, but for some reason we need to pay the
$900 + not already paid for by other suckers.

The Home page of the website says that they have decided to do the
radiotherapy, but that Maia is still rapidly losing weight, is down to 5
lbs., & they want donations for the treatment. Yeah, right. One reason
that's given (on the home page) for the radiation treatment: more cost
effective in the long run - ha!, yeah, if you get a slew of other people to
pay your cat's vet bill for you.

To Maia's owner - why on earth are you not treating her with Tapazole in the
meantime?!!! There is no reason for her to continue to be hyperthyroid.
Tapazole - or its generic equivalent of methimazole - is _not_ an expensive
drug.

Cathy

Old December 1st 04, 08:48 AM
jamie

Cathy Friedmann wrote:

The Home page of the website says that they have decided to do the
radiotherapy, but that Maia is still rapidly losing weight, is down to 5
lbs., & they want donations for the treatment. Yeah, right. One reason
that's given (on the home page) for the radiation treatment: more cost
effective in the long run - ha!, yeah, if you get a slew of other people to
pay your cat's vet bill for you.

Thyroid surgery costs a fraction of what radiation therapy costs,
and Gideon's recovery was so rapid and easy, I have to recommend it
to anyone having difficulty raising the money for radiation treatment.

Keeping the cat on Tapazole long-term is not very expensive either, but
some cats react badly to it, like mine did during his test period on
Tapazole. But a friend's cat did well on Tapazole for several years,
until over time the dose had to be increased and increased until any
more would be toxic, and she had the radioactive therapy done.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old December 1st 04, 05:20 PM
Mary

"jamie" wrote in message
Cathy Friedmann wrote:

The Home page of the website says that they have decided to do the
radiotherapy, but that Maia is still rapidly losing weight, is down to 5
lbs., & they want donations for the treatment. Yeah, right. One reason
that's given (on the home page) for the radiation treatment: more cost
effective in the long run - ha!, yeah, if you get a slew of other people

pay your cat's vet bill for you.

Thyroid surgery costs a fraction of what radiation therapy costs,
and Gideon's recovery was so rapid and easy, I have to recommend it
to anyone having difficulty raising the money for radiation treatment.

Jamie,

My vet told me that the down side to the surgery is that it is easy
to take too much of the parathyroid, which causes problems. Here,
the surgery would have been about $600 instead of the $1,200 for
the radiation. I will have the radiation done for my girl as soon as
we have seen that her thyroid levels have been in a good range
for a few months.

Old December 1st 04, 07:21 PM
Save Maia Kitty

This is from Maia's mama, who created www.savemaiakitty.com. While
some of you may not agree with the treatment I have chosen for Maia
(Radioactive Iodine Therapy), I feel it was the best solution for my
cat. I did what I thought I had to do. It was explained to me by
several vets that this was the best form, as surgery was not
guaranteed (at about $600), and that there could be problems with
Tapazole (ie: kidney and liver damage, plus vomitting--which Maia
already has an issue with...). So I did look at all the costs and
factors, and decided that the radioiodine solution would eventually
equal the costs of medicine over a 2 year period, which was confirmed
by my vet as well. As far as asking for others to help out, well, why
not? I love may cat more than anything and am doing all I can for
her. There are many nice people out there (and not "suckers" as
someone wrote) who genuinely love giving to others in need. Not
everything has to be done in conventional ways, and I find it
courageous to be able to ask for help when we need it. I am so
thankful for all who have expressed concern for my little kitty and to
those who have given on her behalf.

Old December 1st 04, 07:30 PM
Mary

[...]

"Save Maia Kitty" is really deceiving, given that her life has never
been in danger. You are a user, plain and simple. A parasite.

A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
kitty vs puss Brenda Cat anecdotes 30 January 26th 04 04:28 PM
Took in Adandon Kitty, What Have I DONE??? Charles Cat health & behaviour 57 January 21st 04 10:17 PM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 09:48 PM