Bedspread Burrowing

Old June 19th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Bedspread Burrowing

For years Persia has disliked being covered up. Be it a blanket, a throw,
whatever, if I tried to "tuck her in" (so to speak) in chilly weather she
would immediately crawl out from under the covers. Imagine my surprise when
not once, not twice, but three times in the last week she literally dove
under my bedspread after I turned out the light. Granted, the first couple
of times it was to attack my feet. But after I giggled a bit and asked her
what the heck she was doing she curled up and went to sleep. This was
rather awkward at first since she was between my feet and I didn't feel as
though I could move without disturbing her

Last night, she didn't even bother with the foot attack. She simply
burrowed under the bedspread (next to my feet, not between them) and went to
sleep. I'm not sure what has prompted this change in behaviour. I don't
have it any cooler in the house than usual. I do run fans because I need
moving air as well as "white noise" when I sleep, but that's nothing new (I
do that year round). Suddenly she wants to be under the covers at the end
of the bed at bedtime. It's fine with me but rather unusual for her. She
slept soundly there at the foot of the bed all night... until it was time to
come out and tap me on the nose to alert me to breakfast time Goofy cat.

Jill

Old June 19th 09, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't it feel funny? Dante loves to burrow. He's on the big side and
muscular, and he has really soft, luscious fur. It's like having a giant,
furry caterpillar squirming around under there.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old June 19th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Kreisleriana" drtmuirATearthlink.net wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, it feels crazy It's been in the 90's here for weeks so she's
certainly not cold!

Jill

Old June 19th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I think cats just change their habits every so often to keep us off balance.

Joy

Old June 20th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Kreisleriana" drtmuirATearthlink.net wrote:
Doesn't it feel funny? Dante loves to burrow. He's on the big side and
muscular, and he has really soft, luscious fur. It's like having a giant,
furry caterpillar squirming around under there.

It's funny, but it's been a while since someone's compared bed
burrowing with bug-like behavior:

From RPCA 1997:
Tasha, on the other hand, thinks under-the-sheet is a Seriously
Cool Place. One morning we actually tucked the fitted sheet over
her. We then spent 3/4 hour in hysterics as she oozed all over
the bed like a furry flatworm. Every now and again we'd lift an
edge and call "Tashi! This way's out!" - and she'd stick one
darky furry face out, quick look, rapid flatworm reversal off
to another corner - and more blissful fun ozzing around under
the sheet. In the end we had to leave, so we lifted her out.
Sometimes I think she'd still be there if we hadn't........

Maryanne

Old June 20th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

From RPCA 1997:

Tasha, on the other hand, thinks under-the-sheet is a Seriously
Cool Place. One morning we actually tucked the fitted sheet over
her. We then spent 3/4 hour in hysterics as she oozed all over
the bed like a furry flatworm. Every now and again we'd lift an
edge and call "Tashi! This way's out!" - and she'd stick one
darky furry face out, quick look, rapid flatworm reversal off
to another corner - and more blissful fun ozzing around under
the sheet. In the end we had to leave, so we lifted her out.
Sometimes I think she'd still be there if we hadn't........

Maryanne

That's so funny! Kitty is in an alternate universe of her own creation,
and having a hell of a good time of it. Her under-the-sheet world probably
bears very little relation to the reality of the human watching the scene.

I don't remember this post at all, so thanks for re-posting it.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 23rd 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral[_2_]

On Jun 19, 5:47*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Both of my girls have been known to burrow under the covers,
especially in cold weather. They don't stay long, it's usually just a
warm up session on chilly nights. But it is rather snug when they stay
a while. In his old age, Pan used to curl up on top of me under the
covers on cold nights, and we'd have some social time. But even he
rarely spent the entire night under the covers.

Nina's other reason for bed burrowing is when she's alarmed. If
someone rings the doorbell, under she goes. Same thing when I bring
out Big Sucky Monster. As far as I can tell, she's operating on the
theory "If I can't see it, it can't see me." She hasn't grasped the
idea yet that Big Sucky Monster has no eyes. =o)

Melissa