[OT][Geek] Transit of Venus

Old June 7th 04, 04:01 AM
Yowie

Default [OT][Geek] Transit of Venus

Just reminding the geeks out there that the transit of Venus is tomorrow
(the 8th of June)

No-one alive has seen one, because the last one happened in 1882!

Its how Australia got discovered by Captain Cook in 1770 - he was trying to
calculate the distance between teh earth and the sun by timing the 1769
transit in the Pacific and sorta stumbled across Aussieland a bit later.

Yowie

Old June 7th 04, 04:19 AM
David Yehudah

Yeah, I remember reading about that. Seems he lost it about a week later
and it hasn't been seen since. :-)

--
"No, I could sleep, but I must not; death is too near; he must not steal
up on me. These fifteen years I have been making ready for him; I will

When Clinton lied, no one died.

Old June 7th 04, 10:01 AM

Yowie wrote:

No-one alive has seen one, because the last one happened in 1882!

Speaking of seeing one, what does it look like? Is there anything
interesting about it, other than its rarity?

Joyce

Old June 7th 04, 11:13 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Speaking of seeing one, what does it look like? Is there anything
interesting about it, other than its rarity?

Joyce

What you see - and you should *never* but *never* look directly at the sun or
you *will* blind yourself, painfully and possibly permanently, is a small dark
circle traversing the face of the sun. For those in the UK, tomorrow morning,
it's being shown on BBC during the Breakfast programme with Adam Hart-Davis
reporting from the Greenwich Observatory.

Also see

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/m...tofvenus.shtml

Cheers, helen s

**$om $