[OT]The Cruelest Cut

Old July 5th 04, 03:03 AM
Yowie

Default [OT]The Cruelest Cut

No. Not for Joel, for me.

I've grown my hair for 6 solid years, getting only a yearly trim to be rid
of the dead ends right at the bottom. I'm very proud of my long, wavey,
natural coloured hair. I can do the "lady Godiva" thing with it, its that
long it can cover up my boobs. I love my long hair even more because my
mother never let me grow it long (although she let my sister - much more on
her later) Mum always thought I looked "cute" in ultra-short "pixie cuts". I
*hated* them, especially since they made me look like a boy, to the point
where a susbtitute teacher in primary who didn't know me dragged me out of
the girls loos and gave me a stern lecture, then forced me (oh horrors!)
into the boys loos because she was certain I was a boy! You can imagine the
teasing after that (and it didn't help that I was and still am very much a
tomboy anyway)

So my long, luxurious hair is precious to me, and it took me *ages* to grow
out the fringe, and I've been keeping it all at one length ever since. But
today I noticed one of Cary's fingers was looking rather purpley, and then
to my horror saw that one of my long and luxurious strands was wrapped
tightly around it. I managed to get it off and the finger seems fine, but it
scared me.

Along with the fact I don't have time to keep my hair any more so it always
has knots, that I can only ever have it back in a boring plait because he's
always tugging on it otherwise, and that I have this stupid fly-away stuff
that gets in my eyes regardless of whether my hair is up or down, well, its
time to undo those long six years and get it lopped off.

Yup, its time for the dreaded "mummy cut".

I can't afford anything fancy, just a cut. I'd love to go to the hairdresser
and have the a good colour as the "ultra blonde" strands seem to be
increasing in density (I won't call them "grey", I won't I wont!), and of
course the whole pampering treatment, but by an amazing coincidence, all
"disposable income" seemed to dry up within a week of Cary's birth, and
spending over $50 on hair is just too much of a luxury. The cut itself,
thats one more in a long line of necessary baby expenses *sigh*, but a
colour and a wave and blow dry etc etc aren't in the same league as the
mortgage, the bills and the grocery shopping, as much as I try to convince
Joel otherwise. ("No, honestly, I really do need a scalp massage once a
week, it improves the quality of my breast milk. Think of your son!")

So, at 4pm, Australian Eastern Standard Time, I will lose the last vestiges
of my SINK (Single Income, no kids) status; my beautiful long luxurious sexy
hard to grow hair will go the way of my taught tummy, my caffeine addiction,
my career, my independance, and my sanity...

I will now be 100% mummy.

*sob*

Yowie
(was hoping to avoid the Big Snip, but Marina looked really great. I may not
have had the courage otherwise!)

Old July 5th 04, 03:54 AM
Victor Martinez

Yowie wrote:
I will now be 100% mummy.

Well, you don't have to cut it too short, right?

(was hoping to avoid the Big Snip, but Marina looked really great. I may not
have had the courage otherwise!)

Doesn't she look great? I'm sure you will too!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 5th 04, 06:36 AM
Yoj

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
I will now be 100% mummy.

Well, you don't have to cut it too short, right?

(was hoping to avoid the Big Snip, but Marina looked really great. I

may not
have had the courage otherwise!)

Doesn't she look great? I'm sure you will too!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

I hope you'll be able to get a cut you like, Yowie. I'm sure it must be
hard to contemplate, after wearing your hair long for so long. However,
the ease of taking care of it may reconcile you to the change. I hope
so. Does Australia have an organization like the one in the U.S., where
people who have their long hair cut can donate it to be used for wigs
for people receiving chemo treatments?

Joy

Old July 5th 04, 02:56 PM
Christine Burel

Oh, Yowie! I know this is a tough one; several of my girlfriends did the
exact same thing for the exact same reasons.
Hugs to help you through; I'm sure the cut will look lovely.
Christine
u...

Old July 5th 04, 06:12 PM
Duke of URL

"Yowie" wrote in message
u...

(was hoping to avoid the Big Snip, but Marina looked really great. I may

not
have had the courage otherwise!)

Why don't you simply braid it? I've known several wimmen who didn't cut
their hair for years and years and that's what they all did to keep it out
of the way.

Old July 5th 04, 07:01 PM
Exocat

Purrs for your lovely locks, & the hope that you'll soon accept the
necessity as a boon that was formerly disguised (so to speak) & learn
to love the "new you".

Anyway, as Cary grows up your locks can regrow long if you choose, no?

Best

Gordon
Bandit,
Pericles
Snowball

--
Feline family viewable at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/exocat

"Yowie" wrote
Yup, its time for the dreaded "mummy cut".