Looking for a vet... What questions should I ask?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 8th 03, 05:31 PM
Al Kondo

Default Looking for a vet... What questions should I ask?

My wife and I are caring for two orphaned kitties that we found
abandoned in our garage. We love them and are doing our utmost to
make sure that our home and care is the best we can provide. We took
them to a vet a week ago.... one that was recommended by some friends.
I was a little uncomfortable with a couple of responses to some
questions I had. Specifically, I was uncomfortable with:

1. He recommended that we feed the cats a dry food diet following the
8th week. I know that there is quite a controversy over wet and dry
food. My research on the internet has convinced me that wet, canned
food is the way to go. It seemed that he didn't know that there was
an issue here.

2. I asked him about his attitude about declawing cats, and, he
responded that he would do it if requested by the owner. My wife and
I are convinced that declawing is not what we want for our cats.

From the above, I am beginning to explore other vets in the area. I
will ask them the questions that derive from the above issues.
However, are there other questions I should ask that are important in
selecting a vet for our two kitties? Also, are we being too
idealistic to think that vets would have a view closer to ours
concerning food and declawing?

Thanks, Al Kondo