Silver is a very strange cat...

Old July 28th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

Default Silver is a very strange cat...

We bought a pizza and some spicy chicken nuggets for dinner last night
and I was just eating the leftover chicken. Silver the vulture jumped
up and stared at me like she does whenever I have some kind of protein
in my hand, and I told her she wouldn't like it... evidently she
didn't believe me because she reached out and sneaked a lick when my
attention was taken by the monitor. Ugh. Kitty spit on my chicken! So
to teach her a lesson (the nuggets are as spicy as I can stand to eat,
even without hot sauce on them, and I was SURE that she'd hate the
pepperiness) I said 'okay, you can have that bit, and she went lick,
lick, lick... I waited for signs of distress. Nope... she licked it
some more! I gave up and pulled the breading off that side of the
nugget and offered it to her and she scarfed it down... The only sign
of discomfort was a bit of lick-licking but that could just have her
way of saying 'yum! Can I have some more?'

Strange cat...

She also adores any form of sugary carbohydrate, like cake (I don't
give them to her but she'll rapidly scarf up any crumbs that fall to
the floor), dairy products, and anything 'meaty'. About the only
flavours she doesn't like are apple, cinnamon, and tomato. Scouty's
much more conservative, and only eats cat food or dairy products...
and Tessie still thinks she's starving in the gutter and she'll eat
ANYTHING if you turn your back on it, or even if you don't...

What do your cats like to eat that's not conventionally recognised as
'cat food'?
Old July 28th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote

What do your cats like to eat that's not conventionally recognised as
'cat food'?

Abelard loves sweet corn, asparagus and brussels sprouts (even frozen ones).
Eli loves whole wheat bread.

Old July 28th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

The late beloved Isadora adored tortilla and potato chips. One day,
I'd bought myself a small bag of chips to go with my lunch, and at some
point, I was distracted enough to leave my (mostly empty) bag of chips
unguarded on the table. When I returned a few minutes later, the empty
bag was skating around the kitchen floor with Izzy's hindquarters
protruding from the open end of the bag. She was determined to get
every last CRUMB!!

Luna, the cat we had when I was growing up was crazy about nutter
butter cookies. She would ignore every other kind of cookie, but she
had a mania about those.

Melissa

Old July 28th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

D*g food. It's only one of our cats but anything that goes in Bear's
bowl gets a big sniff and a couple of licks from Winnie. He doesn't get
to eat much but Bear just stands there astonished for a second before
very gently shoving him aside. Bear weighs exactly one hundred pounds
while Winnie goes a little over four, so a gentle shove is all that is
needed. The cats all eat from one bowl on a counter where Bear cannot
climb. He gets any crumbs that drop. Noblesse oblige makes Winnie a
sloppy eater.

Will in New Haven

--

"Hunting is hunting and mating is mating; the prey has no gender."
Feather in _Poker for Cats_

Old July 28th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JBHajos

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:20:11 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
wrote:

What do your cats like to eat that's not conventionally recognised as
'cat food'?

Hobo's favorite is broccoli. Speckles favorite is a
pineapple/cream cheese spread liberally dotted with pineapple chunks.

Jeanne

Old July 28th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message

What do your cats like to eat that's not conventionally recognised as
'cat food'?////

Tiger likes Lasagne or any form of tomato based pasta sauce. Lily likes
oatmeal, yogurt, curry, rice, pasta, apple, malted fruit loaf, croisants
with blueberry jam, pancakes..... ;o)

Helen M

Old July 28th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

What do your cats like to eat that's not conventionally recognised as
'cat food'?

Well, there's Miranda who doesn't eat anything that is conventionally
recognized as cat food. ;o) At least not if it comes in a tin, pouch or
bag and is labelled 'catfood'. She will try almost any human food. She
eaten or at least licked a carrot, a roasted peanut, peas, corn, potato,
pasta complete with tomato sauce (no onions), bread, and lots of other
stuff that I can't even remember. She also once licked up some fruit
juice that I'd spilled.

Caliban will eat anything, whether recognized as cat food or not. ;o) On
several occasions, he has opened a bag of bread and eaten a great deal
of it before I realised what he was up to. One time, I had drained my
spaghetti and somehow carelessly left some of it in the colander. A
moment later, when I was eating my pasta dish, I heard some noisy
smacking at the sink. Went to look, and Caliban was happily munching
away on the cooked spaghetti.

I don't eat take-out (or meat at all), so I don't really get to test
whether they will eat exotically spiced meats. The only meat I buy is
meant for them, so I don't add any spices to it.

Old July 28th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Marina wrote:
Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

What do your cats like to eat that's not conventionally recognised as
'cat food'?

Smokey's worst was dragging grease-soaked napkins out of the trash and
eating them. Poor boy. He quickly learned that there's no point in
eating paper soaked in bacon grease, when begging gets him bacon.

--Fil

Old July 29th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sandra

Memphis likes savoury sauces, we have to stop him licking plates that have
spicey ones!
Phoenix has a fondness for sweet things, cake and biscuit crumbs, custard
tarts, flavoured yoghurts and icecream, sweetened cereals.......

I have a friend with two cats, one will only eat cat food, the other you
have to watch like a hawk. Melon skin, cheese, ham, sultanas, doughnuts,
just an eating machine!

sandra

Old July 29th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Enfilade" wrote:
Smokey's worst was dragging grease-soaked napkins out of the trash and
eating them. Poor boy. He quickly learned that there's no point in
eating paper soaked in bacon grease, when begging gets him bacon.

I have to admit that bacon grease paper towels are tempting.
Cellulose saturated with fat - it's like a very rich and savory
vegetable. It seems appropriate though that a cat named Smokey would
like bacon. But probably, they all like bacon.