Yowling?

Old November 29th 05, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Yowling?

What does yowling mean?

Shmogg is 15 give or take a few years. Recently, he's taken up the fine art
of yowling, usually within an hour of being fed - sometimes its just a few
minutes, sometimes an hour, but always happens after gooshyfood. He ywols
every single night after his dinner, and sometimes in the morning too. I've
never heard him yowl at any other time.

As far as I remember, he didn't yowl before IBKFergus came to stay

He'll stop yowling is I yell out to him and say something like "you're a
cat, you're grey" or something like that, and doesn't yowl again until the
next load of food arrives.

Any ideas? He's otherwise a fit and healthy 15 year old who can still beat
up a hollikitten and win, so I don't think its just old age catching up with
him.

Ideas?

Yowie

Old November 29th 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I remember seeing this subject before, and there is a medical explanation
for it, so he needs to see TED asap. I'm sorry I can't recall what the
exact reason is, but he definitely needs the vet IIRC. It's a symptom of
something I wish I could remember, sorry.
Tweed

Old November 29th 05, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message
What does yowling mean?

Shmogg is 15 give or take a few years. Recently, he's taken up the fine
art of yowling, usually within an hour of being fed - sometimes its just a
few minutes, sometimes an hour, but always happens after gooshyfood. He
ywols every single night after his dinner, and sometimes in the morning
too. I've never heard him yowl at any other time.

As far as I remember, he didn't yowl before IBKFergus came to stay

He'll stop yowling is I yell out to him and say something like "you're a
cat, you're grey" or something like that, and doesn't yowl again until the
next load of food arrives.

Any ideas? He's otherwise a fit and healthy 15 year old who can still beat
up a hollikitten and win, so I don't think its just old age catching up
with him.

Ideas?

Could be he is losing his hearing and likes to make enough noise so he can
hear himself.

Jo

Old November 29th 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:43:06 +1100, Yowie wrote:

[...]

A serenade to you in return for the lovely dinner. MLB

Old November 29th 05, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

in the last 2 years of my recently departed precious she howled like
another cat got ahold of her The reason for it she did not know where we
were. You go over and tap of her on the head to let you know you were there
she stop and not do it again till she lost sight of one of us or the other
furballs.

She was going deaf according to the vet

Is the furball doing it in a certain spot in the house or at a certain
object.
You said a certain time before food have you been late feeding them or
stopped giving them attention at a certain time like if you job schedule
changed and they were used to you not being home till 7pm etc
news

Old November 29th 05, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:43:06 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

[...]

Does he walk around while he's doing it? Stinky has always done this,
especially in the summertime, but also occasionally in the winter.
For Stinky, it's usually when he gets a snootful of outdoor air, and
suddenly decides to take on all the possible and putative cats that
might be lurking around his territory.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old November 30th 05, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I don't want to alarm you as it may be something entirely different, but
that's what Percy started doing. We didn't know what it was and didn't take
him to the vet soon enough and he died of kidney failure. Of course it may
be something as simple as he's getting a bit deaf in his old age.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 30th 05, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote in message
[...]

Izzi used to do this, when she got older. I honestly think it's a form of
cat dementia, and Fergus's arrival is just coincidental. The fact that he
shuts up when you speak to him ties in with how Izzi reacted, it was as if
she was lost, and needed some reassurance that I was around.

Actually, Cav does it now, and has always done it. It's his way of saying
'Where the hell is everyone?'. As soon as I call out and he knows where I
am, he shuts up.

Love

Jeanette

Old November 30th 05, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jeanette" wrote in message
k...

Izzi used to do this, when she got older. I honestly think it's a form of
cat dementia, and Fergus's arrival is just coincidental. The fact that he
shuts up when you speak to him ties in with how Izzi reacted, it was as if
she was lost, and needed some reassurance that I was around.

Actually, Cav does it now, and has always done it. It's his way of saying
'Where the hell is everyone?'. As soon as I call out and he knows where I
am, he shuts up.

Teti does that from time to time. He prefers to start at 4:30 AM... Until
then, he and his mother, Tinùviel, have been sleeping on top of me in bed,
but I guess he wakes up and thinks it's time for some action. He goes into
the bathroom (I think he likes the sound of his own voice in ther),
shouting: "Come on, you guys, it's morning!" I call for him "Teti, we're
here!" When he realize that we are not coming after him, he comes back,
jumps up in the bed and starts a fight with Tinùviel. She jumps down on the
floor, very irritated, and then they run around for a little while until
Tinùviel has had enough and comes back to bed.

After that, Teti gives in and comes back, too. Satisfied, he got the
attention he wanted... And then we sleep until 9... :-)

Hans