Oh my God Bruiser's on fire! (he's not hurt)

Old November 1st 03, 08:22 AM
John Biltz

Default Oh my God Bruiser's on fire! (he's not hurt)

I was feeding Bruiser and Maya some tuna just a few minutes ago when
Bruiser brushed up near a lit candle and his fur caught on fire. He
never even realized he was on fire but a patch of fur was burning. It
looked like he had a zippo lighter burning on his flank near his tail.
It went out with a couple of quick pats from me. No more candles, ever.
I had no idea all that long soft fluffy fur could go up like that. He
doesn't even have any bare patches of skin just a lot of burnt looking
hair tips. He's sitting on my chest purring as I type this unaware of
what happened. Man that could have been really bad if I hadn't been
standing right there.

Old November 1st 03, 08:31 AM
Marina

"John Biltz" wrote

I was feeding Bruiser and Maya some tuna just a few minutes ago when
Bruiser brushed up near a lit candle and his fur caught on fire. He
never even realized he was on fire but a patch of fur was burning. It
looked like he had a zippo lighter burning on his flank near his tail.
It went out with a couple of quick pats from me. No more candles, ever.
I had no idea all that long soft fluffy fur could go up like that. He
doesn't even have any bare patches of skin just a lot of burnt looking
hair tips. He's sitting on my chest purring as I type this unaware of
what happened. Man that could have been really bad if I hadn't been
standing right there.

Oh, John, that was scary! But you know, cats have several layers of fur, so
it probably burned only the topmost layer so it really didn't hurt him,
because it didn't get near his skin. Good thing you were there! Purrs for
you both (sounds like you need them more than Bruiser).

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 1st 03, 11:03 AM
Fat Freddy

Bruiser brushed up near a lit candle and his fur caught on fire.

Here's a link to a little story called "Puffy's Exploding Tail" about
my brother and I and our cat Puffy when we were kids. It was a quite
exciting event and nobody was hurt.

http://www.flippyscatpage.com/puffy.html
Old November 1st 03, 11:16 AM
John Biltz

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 2:03:50 -0800, Fat Freddy wrote
(in message ):

I went and looked at it and realized instantly I had read the story
before. Bruiser is none the worse for what happened either. After some
grooming its hard to even tell where it happened. It looks like just a
few hair tips caught fire and it never reached the body of the fur.
Scary though, at least for me. Bruiser never lost focus on the tuna.

Old November 1st 03, 12:09 PM
polonca12000

That is scary! I'm so very glad Bruiser wasn't hurt.
Best wishes and purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"John Biltz" wrote in message
thlink.net...
I was feeding Bruiser and Maya some tuna just a few minutes ago when
Bruiser brushed up near a lit candle and his fur caught on fire. snip

Old November 1st 03, 01:29 PM
Sheenah

"John Biltz" wrote in message
thlink.net...
I was feeding Bruiser and Maya some tuna just a few minutes ago when
Bruiser brushed up near a lit candle and his fur caught on fire. He
never even realised he was on fire but a patch of fur was burning. It
looked like he had a zippo lighter burning on his flank near his tail.
It went out with a couple of quick pats from me. No more candles, ever.
I had no idea all that long soft fluffy fur could go up like that. He
doesn't even have any bare patches of skin just a lot of burnt looking
hair tips. He's sitting on my chest purring as I type this unaware of
what happened. Man that could have been really bad if I hadn't been
standing right there.

Thinking about what might have happened makes me shudder. I'm so glad that you were able to so
quickly and easily put out the flames.

Your story reminds me of one that my mother used to tell about our cat Tom. Tom used to liked to
sleep as close as he possibly could to the open fire we had in the living room every day during the
winter. One day, a small ember fell out of the fireplace and became embedded in his fur. It took
some time for any member of my family to realise that Tom's fur was smouldering. As soon as my
mother did, she swept him up off the carpet, rushed him into the kitchen, plonked him in the sink,
turned on the cold tap and soaked him. Poor Tom. I don't think he ever understood the reason why
he was so rudely awoken and subjected to an impromptu bath :^)

Sheenah

Old November 1st 03, 02:23 PM
Nan

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 07:22:01 GMT, John Biltz
wrote:

I was feeding Bruiser and Maya some tuna just a few minutes ago when
Bruiser brushed up near a lit candle and his fur caught on fire. He
never even realized he was on fire but a patch of fur was burning. It
looked like he had a zippo lighter burning on his flank near his tail.
It went out with a couple of quick pats from me. No more candles, ever.
I had no idea all that long soft fluffy fur could go up like that. He
doesn't even have any bare patches of skin just a lot of burnt looking
hair tips. He's sitting on my chest purring as I type this unaware of
what happened. Man that could have been really bad if I hadn't been
standing right there.

Thank goodness you were right there when it happened. That could
really have been a disaster, not only for Bruiser, but I can just
imagine what could have happened if the fire reached his skin and he
started running through the house. I'm glad Bruiser wasn't hurt.

I don't burn any candles that aren't in containers, and then only
when the cats have gone to bed after their dogfood fix. Tiger and
Tigger ate dogfood kibble the first couple of days after I found them
in the carport until I could get to the store for catfood. They have
definitely developed a taste for dogfood.

Old November 1st 03, 02:40 PM
jmcquown

John Biltz wrote:
I was feeding Bruiser and Maya some tuna just a few minutes ago when
Bruiser brushed up near a lit candle and his fur caught on fire.

Egads, John, are you (sorry to say) that stupid?! Of COURSE a cats fur will
catch on fire that quickly! Thank goodness you were there to put it out.
Sheesh. I'm glad Bruiser is okay. Purrs.

Jill

Old November 1st 03, 02:44 PM
Victor Martinez

That's why we don't light candles unless it's a party and the cats are
safely sequestered in the office.
Now the fireplace... that's a whole other story! One of the first times
we had a fire going, I look at it and discover in horror that Basho is
*inside* the fireplace. I quickly go and grab him and pull him out. He's
looking at me wondering why the heck I'm acting all scared. He burned
some of his whiskers off, but other than that he was just happy to have
found a very warm spot! ;-)
We now do a better job of securing the screen.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 1st 03, 02:59 PM