W-A-Y-Y OT (but IMO important) - Farenheit 911

Old June 27th 04, 06:04 PM
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:

NO, you can't see that woman in
panties at the movies if you're 12 (but it's okay to go to the beach and see
her in a bikini). Remember back in our day when married couples on
television had to have separate beds?

Helen's son is probably in charge of these standards.

Old June 27th 04, 08:27 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

It is encouraging that “freedom of speech� in America has not yet been
so far suppressed that films like “Fahrenheit 911� cannot reach an
audience.

It almost was stopped apparently. The press reports over here from when the
film was shown at Cannes, was that indeed efforts had been made to stop its
release in the States - pressure had been put on to stop its distribution. When
it won the top award at Cannes, which meant it got world-wide coverage in the
news, it really meant it had to be given the opportunity to be shown.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old June 27th 04, 08:27 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

NO, you can't see that woman in
panties at the movies if you're 12 (but it's okay to go to the beach and see
her in a bikini). Remember back in our day when married couples on
television had to have separate beds?

Helen's son is probably in charge of these standards.

LOL!

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old June 27th 04, 09:45 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On 27 Jun 2004 19:27:00 GMT, omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

It is encouraging that “freedom of speech” in America has not yet been
so far suppressed that films like “Fahrenheit 911” cannot reach an
audience.

It almost was stopped apparently. The press reports over here from when the
film was shown at Cannes, was that indeed efforts had been made to stop its
release in the States - pressure had been put on to stop its distribution. When
it won the top award at Cannes, which meant it got world-wide coverage in the
news, it really meant it had to be given the opportunity to be shown.

Cheers, helen s

F911 was to be distributed by Miramax, which is owned by Disney. Then
Disney execs announced that they would not allow Miramax to distribute
such a "political" film. I don't remember if this announcement was
pre- or post-Cannes, but it was about that same time. The guys who run
Miramax (NOT Michael Moore) bought the film from Disney, made a
distribution deal with a different company (Lion's Gate), and here we
are.

Of course, the cynics say Disney's sudden decision to not distribute
F911 had less to do with the politics of the documentary and more to
do with the politics of business. Disney has an awful lot of business
interests in Florida, after all, and we all know who is Governor of
Florida and who his brother is.....

I'm quite looking forward to seeing this - I saw previews the other
day (when seeing "The Stepford Wives" - a mildly entertaining summer
comedy), and it looks VERY interesting.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com