Cats in the Belfry

Old June 29th 04, 03:46 AM
Takayuki

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

I've heard they can be pretty destructive, but I still think they're
seriously cute little brats :-). [After all, puppies and kittens are
destructive, too, and they're lovable, and let's not even get into the
mischief that barekittens dream up :-).]

Bringing up barekittens again?

Old June 29th 04, 03:47 AM
Takayuki

"Jo Firey" wrote:

True. But then a squirrel really is just a rat with a fluffy tail. Vermin
no matter how you view it.

Like in that movie, "Ice Age"! They had a character named "Scrat", a
proto-rodent squirrel/rat looking thing.

Old June 29th 04, 05:12 AM
Marina

"Bev" wrote

About squirrels. We don't have these little critters in New Zealand so
when we went to the US and Canada we were fascinated by them.
Unfortunately most people didn't seem to share our admiration for
squirrels (our image was probably largely fueled by Disney movies).
They called them large rats and reckoned they were very destructive.
All true, no doubt but I just loved watching them scurrying around the
trees. When I saw one with his face bulging with nuts it was a real
bonus

Squirrels can do great damage to e.g. birds' nests. If they find one
unguarded, they don't take just one egg or fledgeling, they usually destroy
them all. But that's nature. I suppose they can do damage to wires and such,
being rodents who are built to bite through nut shells. I do think they're
very cute, and smart. Most people love feeding them here. There is a big
colony living at the graveyard, where people from all over the city feed
them when they come to visit the graves of their lost loved ones. I've seen
some amazingly fat squirrels there, and they are very tame. They will come
right up to you and demand food. Maybe some people would think that was
pestering. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old June 29th 04, 07:01 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Takayuki wrote:

Bev wrote:

About squirrels. We don't have these little critters in New Zealand so
when we went to the US and Canada we were fascinated by them.
Unfortunately most people didn't seem to share our admiration for
squirrels (our image was probably largely fueled by Disney movies).
They called them large rats and reckoned they were very destructive.
All true, no doubt but I just loved watching them scurrying around the
trees. When I saw one with his face bulging with nuts it was a real
bonus

I think they're cute, too, and much cheekier than most animals. It's
too bad you don't have them in New Zealand - do you have oaks in NZ?
Squirrels have a reputation for being inadvertent oak tree planters.

Oh, I recall that TJ didn't know what squirrels looked like, even
though she lives in the US. She seems to see a lot of other weird
animals that I never see though, like javelina, scorpions, and road
runners.

Well, squirrels aren't exactly desert creatures, as the others you
mention are. Probably just not their natural habitat.

Old June 29th 04, 07:09 AM

Marina wrote:

[...]

Better to be "pestered" by squirrels than deer! There used to be deer
running free on the grounds of the Veterans Hospital in Minneapoils (a
long, LONG time ago, when I was not yet in school). They were very tame
and friendly, but some hare-brained vistors discovered they liked
cigarettes (to eat, not to smoke). Apparently tobacco was addictive
when eaten, too, and it got to where the deer were knocking people down
to get their cigarettes, so they had to be relocated. (Wild animals are
still WILD animals, however tame and people-oriented they may seem to
be.)