A short complaint about my health issue

Old August 15th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Default A short complaint about my health issue

hopitus wrote in
:

On Aug 14, 6:44 pm, outsider wrote:
In the scheme of things the trouble I am going through does not rate
very high considering what some other people (some who post here) are
going through but I started passing a little blood and the doctor
sent me some augmentin and all I can think of is I would kill to be
able to pig out on MacDonalds or Chinese or junk food or some of my
own something. I am starting to dream about food! I am about to

I can't diagnose you. Your doc gave you an antibiotic, I think. I have
to assume your
bleeding is colonic but until your doc deals with whatever is going on
there, if I were
you I'd not eat anything liable to make things in any way
worse....though I can sure
sympathize, when something is forbidden, your mind goes into overdrive
imagining
it. What I would do is not what you really want.....but unless you are
totally forbidden
to eat *anything* what I would do is go make a big bowl of grits (u-
oh, maybe New
Yorkers aren't into grits, scratch that and substitute the word
"mashed potatos" or
"pea soup" and eat up. Nothing acidic or irritating there, I think.
You OTOH are just
as smart as me about what food irritates your problem....maybe
smarter, Andy.
No alcohol I'd say, no soda pop, no grease. Keep us posted on what you
decide
and sincere wishes for a peaceful night's rest.

Overall issue is diverticulitis/osis. Doc wants to see inflamation
subside before I decide on resection. Things seem to finally be moving
better but not sure if the low residue diet is to credit or just getting
better. Feels like I am getting better becuase bloat feeling is almost
gone. I think the blood is kind of a quirk. will get a CT scan in a few
days and know. As soon as I am sure I can "go" ok I am allowed to move
to my old high fiber diet which I really liked. After that for a while I
will allow a junk food splurge or a small one at least.

Old August 15th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Joy" wrote in
news
"outsider" wrote in message
In the scheme of things the trouble I am going through does not rate
very high considering what some other people (some who post here) are
going through but I started passing a little blood and the doctor
sent me some augmentin and all I can think of is I would kill to be
able to pig out on MacDonalds or Chinese or junk food or some of my
own something. I am starting to dream about food! I am about to
perform a bowel resection on myself at this point.

So I am mostly comfortable and I should be ashamed to complain about
such a
minor thing but I AM HUNGRY! I WANT SOME JUNK FOOD!! WAAAHHHHHHH!
sniff sniff......stupid colon..

Ok, I am done.

Since I've had gastrointestinal problems off and on for years, I
thoroughly sympathize and understand. There's nothing to make you
want something like knowing you can't have it.

Joy

You got that. As soon as I can have it I will almost be over it. Idon't
eat that much junk. What is worse is I am the one who can decide when it
is ok to switch my diet and it is hard being my own "diet cop"

Andy

Old August 15th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

outsider wrote:
"Granby" wrote in
:

I can go along and eat right for a long time but then, the CRAVE
hits and I HAVE to HAVE McDonalds greasy .99 double cheeseburgers,
at least two and sometimes three. If I knew I were going to die
tomorrow, I would want four of them, a couple of Mike's hard
lemonades and a whole box of GOOD salt water taffy.

Purrs for your craving to go away. If one person tells you to drink
warm water, I will scream for you.

That is my problem; I could maybe have one home-made burger on an
english bit I want a bunch on buns.

As long as it's lean beef and the buns aren't whole wheat or multi-grain and
don't have sesame seeds on them you should be okay. Well, I wouldn't eat a
BUNCH of them, but one might satisfy the craving When I was still in the
hospital and they put me on solid food I got to eat *sort of* a hamburger...
okay, the beef was chopped up (what mid-westerners call a "loose meat"
sandwich) rather than an actual burger. It still tasted like heaven after a
few days of clear broth and cream soups.

Jill

Old August 15th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 15, 6:27*am, outsider wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote :

On Aug 14, 6:44*pm, outsider wrote:
In the scheme of things the trouble I am going through does not rate
very high considering what some other people (some who post here) are
going through but I started passing a little blood and the doctor
sent me some augmentin and all I can think of is I would kill to be
able to pig out on MacDonalds or Chinese or junk food or some of my
own something. *I am starting to dream about food! *I am about to
perform a bowel resection

on
myself at this point.

So I am mostly comfortable and I should be ashamed to complain about
such

*a
minor thing but I AM HUNGRY! *I WANT SOME JUNK FOOD!! *WAAAHHHHHHH!
sniff sniff......stupid colon..

Ok, I am done.

Oooh, I'm sorry. *I'd offer you cyber junk food, but that wouldn't do
you a whole lot of good. *It ain't McDonald's (or any other junk
food), but I've found that when I really have a 'hankerin' for
something that isn't in my best interests, some chicken broth seems to
help that. *Not sure why it does that for me, but a hot cup of broth
always seems to "hit that spot".

Smokie Darling (Annie) - and no, I do not think chicken broth is an
equal to junk food, particularly during a crave.

I do enjoy my broth with a bit of rice in it (and maybe a cut up
mushroom) but it gets old. *I am almost sure my condition is improving
and the blood thing is some kind of quirk but I agree the anti-biotics
are not a bad idea. *I will have a better idea afte the next cat scan. *I
can start eating what I want as soon as I am sure I have good motion and
that does seem to be happening the last few days.- Hide quoted text -

I'll make a few offerings for things to go smoothly, and for you to be
'cleared' for a bit of 'sensible' eating. I suppose if broth were all
I could have, I wouldn't want to have another cup. Wish there was
more I could do than offers purrs, prayers, and songs for your well-
being.

SD (Annie)
Old August 15th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

man I know how you feel having IBS. It sucks

But Andy I see below you want meat have you tried maybe getting away from
hamburger and doing some of the exotic meat such has buffalo which had
lesser fat content which effects your bowls quite a bit]

"outsider" wrote in message
In the scheme of things the trouble I am going through does not rate very
high considering what some other people (some who post here) are going
through but I started passing a little blood and the doctor sent me some
augmentin and all I can think of is I would kill to be able to pig out on
MacDonalds or Chinese or junk food or some of my own something. I am
starting to dream about food! I am about to perform a bowel resection on

Old August 15th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
news
hopitus wrote:
[...]

He's got the same thing I have (diverticulitis) or at least earlier
stages of it (diverticulosis). Thanks a lot for mentioning pea
soup... I love it! But dried peas, beans and lentils are on the no-no
list (too high in fiber) until after my surgery.

Jill

It's funny the things we end up appreciating. Some of my favorite foods
are things we had growing up that inexpensive but nutritious. Most of
those are very simple as well. I still love pea soup even though I might
use a bit more bacon than Mom did . I also love that chili you
mentioned. I did make a burger of sorts last week. Like you describe it
was kind of pre-chopped but I put a little terriyaki in. It was ok but
not my normal fare.

Old August 15th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

jmcquown wrote:
outsider wrote:
In the scheme of things the trouble I am going through does not rate
very high considering what some other people (some who post here) are
going through but I started passing a little blood and the doctor
sent me some augmentin and all I can think of is I would kill to be
able to pig out on MacDonalds or Chinese or junk food or some of my
own something. I am starting to dream about food! I am about to
perform a bowel resection on myself at this point.

So I am mostly comfortable and I should be ashamed to complain about
such a minor thing but I AM HUNGRY! I WANT SOME JUNK FOOD!!
WAAAHHHHHHH!
sniff sniff......stupid colon..

Ok, I am done.

I know the feeling. I am jonesin' for a bowl of really spicy chili! This
low-residue diet makes me feel like I'm still hungry even though
I'm not, too.

Jill

I'm jonesing for dairy/cheese, pizza/bread, pasta, potatoes and I can't have
any of those either. We're all in the same boat.

kili

Old August 15th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

outsider wrote:
[...]

Oh, I was so hoping to make some beef broth for french onion soup, but now
my hubby is completely unemployed. Money is really limited. Broth goes
down really well for me, these days. I still might make chicken stock.
I've got some celery, carrots, and some onion, so that's do-able.

For some reason, broth does ease the craving of junk food. It's filling,
it's warming, soothing and, heck, it's healthy.

Good luck on your CT Scan!

kili ------- who's had a million CT scans.

Old August 15th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Matthew wrote:
man I know how you feel having IBS. It sucks

Yep, I have both IBS and colitis. It sucks. Eating sucks.

kili