Fluff going for X-rays

Old April 8th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default Fluff going for X-rays

On Apr 7, 6:08*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Will in New Haven" wrote in ...
On Apr 7, 1:14 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message

My friend got an Airedale that was given to a local police department
but they offered her to Bruce because a: don't take puppies and train
them; they take grown dogs that are harder to train b: don't think
Airedales are "enough dog."
If an Airedale isn't enough dog, send a couple of men with guns.

Airedales are certainly enough dog but they are not suited for police work.
They are terriers and far too disobedient to accept being a police dog. *It
would mean doing what they are told. * Terriers do not like that.

German police forces disagreed for many years, choosing Airedales over
other dogs, including Shepherds. The switch to bigger dogs was
ostensibly based on the size difference, not the Terrier-nature of
Airedales. At least one German trainer said that the switch to German
Shepherds was at least partly motivated by nationalism.

On the other paw, the Airedales I have worked with meet your
description. You can train them to do anything but it's always a game.
I have seen an Airedale fight with his tail wagging and a smile on his
face, when you could see his face. And his very serious, very large
Boxer opponent was in horrible trouble until we broke them up. The
next day Red was willing to make friends and, after awhile, so was the
Boxer.

--
Will in New Haven

Old April 8th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Will in New Haven" wrote in
message
wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message

My friend got an Airedale that was given to a local police
department
but they offered her to Bruce because a: don't take puppies and
train
them; they take grown dogs that are harder to train b: don't think
Airedales are "enough dog."

If an Airedale isn't enough dog, send a couple of men with guns.

Airedales are certainly enough dog but they are not suited for
police work. They are terriers and far too disobedient to accept
being a police dog. It would mean doing what they are told.
Terriers do not like that.

Tweed

You put a smile on my face. Remembering a little wire haired terrier
named Teddy I knew as a child. He was adorable, but he was also a
real brat.

Jo

Old April 8th 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
The Fluffster has started limping and seems unwilling to bear much weight
on her left hind paw. I couldn't find anything wrong, so off we went on a
lovely car ride so she could meet some more really friendly happy people
at her favourite place, the vet (she is *so* not a cat!).

They couldn't find much wrong either, except that she has somewhat reduced
movement in her hips (its not bad though). She's going under tomorrow so
they can take x-rays. She's currently pleading with her big doggy eyes to
have her 10pm dinner, having entirely forgotten she had it at 7pm instead
do she'll have a empty stomach for the anaesthetic.

Purrs for a good solution for the Fluffster.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old April 8th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Kayla sends lots of tail wags and BC grins and 'I didn't mean to break
that' expressions. She hopes it helps Fluff to feel better.

Jake and Molly will purr in private, as long as we promise not to tell
Kayla.

Jo

"Yowie" wrote in message
The Fluffster has started limping and seems unwilling to bear much
weight on her left hind paw. I couldn't find anything wrong, so off
we went on a lovely car ride so she could meet some more really
friendly happy people at her favourite place, the vet (she is *so*
not a cat!).

They couldn't find much wrong either, except that she has somewhat
reduced movement in her hips (its not bad though). She's going under
tomorrow so they can take x-rays. She's currently pleading with her
big doggy eyes to have her 10pm dinner, having entirely forgotten
she had it at 7pm instead do she'll have a empty stomach for the
anaesthetic.

The likely suspect is arthritis, especially since its getting cooler
around these parts and she's a senior doggy that refuses to use her
kennel and therefore sleeps on the ground, silly dog (the kennel is
unchanged, AFAICT). There are many and various treatments and I hope
they aren't going to be fearfully expensive. Her eyes are bright and
she's still got that stupid doggy grin, so I don't think its time
yet. Still, a few purrs, prayers wags and whatever wouldn't go
astray at this point. May it be easily dealt with, whatever they
find.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how
many pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have

Old April 8th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Yowie wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs for Fluffy, and for you. I remember that I thought she was a
love when I met her. How old is she?

The Floober is 11 in human years.

A more gentle and patient dog I could not have asked for. She has not
snapped once at The Yowlet, and has only gone so far as actually growl at
him on less than a handful of occasions, all entirely deserved. She is also
exceedingly tolerant of cats, even when the cats are not so tolerant of her,
but being part border collie *will* start chasing them if they run away. She
thinks its a game of course, and doens't mean anything by it, but it does
make it hard to take her for walks sometimes. If the cat is sensible and
instead walks up to say hello, Fluffy is the perfect lady and tries to
follow catly protocol (never realising he tail is swishing madly in
delight!). She even allowed her ears to be washed by Suki the other other
day, bless her.

She has a very similar 'feel' about her as Tish's mother's now RB dog,
Bongo. We think perhaps they shared a brain cell, both dogs being so
lovablely gormless.

Yowie

How long has she limped? Have you given nature a chance to heal with an
assist from pain medication. Nature can do wonders if given a chance.
Just wondering? MLB
Old April 8th 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Yowie wrote:
[...]

Am asking the owners to add Fluffy to their purrs for your knee to be
all better soon. Am also sending lots of healing thoughts and wishes
for both you and Fluffy's hind legs.

Pam S
Old April 9th 09, 11:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"MLB" wrote in message

Yowie wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

She's been limping for about a week and occasionally lets out little 'yips'
of pain when she turns the wrong way. You can see that her knee is wobbly
when she has to use her lame leg for stabilisation. We are still mystified
as to how she did it.

She's totally ripped the cruciate ligament. Appranlty these things don't get
beter by nature and whilst the joint will stablise eventually it stablises
via arthritis, which will cause more problems and pain in the long run -
both in the lame leg and in the other that will have to bear the weight.

The websites I have read plus the vet's advice gives me the impression its
not really an 'optional' surgery for her - she needs it or she'll get worse.
The gamble, as always, is how much to spend versus how many years she has
left. Since she has otherwise shown herself to be a healthy dog both in
terms of bones and blood, I'm gambling that this op will give her several
more healthy and happy years yet and that and our money will not be wasted.

Yowie

Old April 9th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message

[...]

______________
Perhaps it was, but then they found German Shepherds more trainable maybe.
All dogs that are classified in the Working Group by the KC are more
trainable than most terriers. Notice I say *most*
Terriers are extremely "hot-headed" and lose their temper easily, which is
great for the work they are supposed to do which is vermin killing. I
still do not think they are suited to police work. Your view may differ.

On the other paw, the Airedales I have worked with meet your
description. You can train them to do anything but it's always a game.
I have seen an Airedale fight with his tail wagging and a smile on his
face, when you could see his face.

They are awful fighters. Plus they do so like to kill cats. They are
attractive dogs to look at but I would never have one.
I am getting a rat hunt on Sunday and I will need to keep my cats in
overnight when the terriers come until they are gone, otherwise that would
be the end of them. They are Patterdale terriers and will literally kill
anything they can catch, including a cat.
I have no problem with keeping them in when a rat hunt is due.

The terriers are so brave, they do not mind grabbing a very large rat and
when it sinks it's teeth into their nose they do not let go but kill it
anyway.
Their nose is then bleeding and I put antiseptic on it which they insist
they don't want and to let them at another big one. You have to admire
them.

Boyfie will catch the little ones that are not much bigger than a large
mouse. When they get up to biggies with huge orange teeth he says "Oh. get
real.." and retires to the duvet.

Tweed

Old April 10th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

"Will in New Haven" wrote in ...

Old April 10th 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Will in New Haven" wrote in
message

wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message

[...]

I wish Molly would follow his example. The one I had to dispose of a
few days ago (because if was grossing Charlie out) had a four inch
tail. Estimated, Pam, not measured.

Jo

Sam's X-rays GaDragonfly Cat anecdotes 18 September 1st 07 10:06 PM
China and Fluff ollie2 Cat anecdotes 9 September 1st 07 10:04 PM
Antibiotics First, Then x-rays & blood tests Glarb Cat health & behaviour 8 February 13th 05 02:47 AM
Danger: Ferocious Ball of Fluff Charleen Welton Cat anecdotes 10 February 10th 05 11:16 AM
Keep x-rays Teddy Cat health & behaviour 34 February 6th 04 07:05 AM