Update on Rutherford, my floor-****ing cat

Old September 7th 04, 03:38 AM
jimmy the LD

Default Update on Rutherford, my floor-****ing cat

Okay, here's what I have experienced thus far:
We found a spot where Rutherford (my ever-so-****ing-on-the-floor cat) had
been spraying and squatting over and over, and we got some of that "Nature's
Miracle" stuff. We wasted our money on that stuff - it didn't work at all.

Tonight, after spending a good amount of Sunday evening cleaning the carpet
where we found the ****, Rutherford trotted into the living room. I walked
right with him, and he found a spot where I cleaned, he walked around it for
a few seconds, lifted his tail, and then sprayed the wall RIGHT IN FRONT OF
ME.

I am up in arms. I have no idea what else to do.
We even bought some of that "NO-MARK" stuff and sprayed it. It was
absolutely no deterrent. He uses his litterbox regularly, and it is cleaned
regularly.

Any new suggestions? I can't take this much longer.

Jimmy
http://music.jimhutchison.com/myrutherford.htm

--
"...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
and don't forget to run like an antelope.

http://www.jimhutchison.com
http://music.jimhutchison.com

Old September 7th 04, 04:03 AM
Mary

"jimmy the LD" wrote

Tonight, after spending a good amount of Sunday evening cleaning the

carpet ...
Rutherford trotted into the living room. I walked
right with him, and he found a spot where I cleaned, he walked around it

for
a few seconds, lifted his tail, and then sprayed the wall RIGHT IN FRONT

OF
ME.

This is a neutered cat, right?

Old September 7th 04, 04:06 AM
Agua Girl

"jimmy the LD" wrote in message
[...]

I'd try putting a liter box right on that spot. Even if it's in
the middle of the room...just temporarily. It seems he has
adopted it..what you need to do is physically prevent him
from being able to use it long enough for him to "un-adopt" it.

I'm not sure why he would be doing this. Doesn't seem like
it's stress if he did it calmly right in front of you. I have to
assume he is altered and that you have ruled out a medical
problem.

Do you have other cats? Were they near the liter box
when he sprayed?

AG

Old September 7th 04, 04:22 AM
jimmy the LD

Do you have other cats? Were they near the liter box
when he sprayed?

Nope - no other cats, and only a 15 year old toy poodle, about the size of a
mini-soccerball. He also uses his litterbox frequently, which completely
stuns me. It just seems as though he has adopted this one 4X4 area of our
living room.

It seems he has adopted it..what you need to do is physically prevent him
from being able to use it long enough for him to "un-adopt" it

We're not really sure what you mean here; do you mean to say that we want
him to understand that it's NOT okay for him to **** on the wall and floor
there by adding his litterbox as a deterrent, or do you mean we should have
more than one litterbox...?

We'll try the litterbox-in-the-spot thing tomorrow.
Any other suggestions? We're considering shelling out the mega moolah for
the Feliway...

To all: Rutherford is a neutered, declawed hobo-kitty that we found on a
jobsite and adopted. He's been to the vet, and he checks out. No
infections, no Leukemia.

He's a cute *******, which is why this is so difficult.
Check him out (I know I posted this before...):
http://music.jimhutchison.com/myrutherford.htm

Please keep the suggestions coming.
Jimmy and Emily

Old September 7th 04, 04:54 AM
jimmy the LD

By now, he probably doesn't know this area from his litter box. Why don't
you
place a rubber mat on top of the area until he gets pass the habit of

peeing on
it? Cats are creatures of habits, you know.

Are you by chance using an ammonia based cleaning product?

We were using an enzyme based cleaning product - or at least we THOUGHT it
was an enzyme based cleaner...
It's called "Nature's Miracle." It left our carpet smelling worse of cat
urine than it was before (except now it smells MORE like ammonia/alcohol),
and we followed every direction to the letter.

SHOULD I be using an ammonia based cleaner?
I would assume that ammonia would attract him.

What about vinegar? Isn't vinegar a good canine urine cleaner?

Jimmy