Arrrgh! Frozen water pipes! (sorta ot)

Old January 10th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

Default Arrrgh! Frozen water pipes! (sorta ot)

It got down to a balmy -13.5 F here in frozen central New York, and our
water pipes froze. I discovered it when I went to get the cats some
fresh water - I am not a happy camper! We had some spring water so the
crew got some clean water, and now I am melting snow for flushing. This
also happened about 3 years ago, and we almost caught the house on fire
trying to get them thawed. I kept telling DH that someone needed to get
under there and insulate the pipes, but he didn't take the hint. (very
low crawl space) According to the daughter of the people who owned the
house before, there used to be an access door to that part of the
crawlspace in the kitchen, but the company who 'remodeled' the house
before we bought it covered it up with luan and vinyl flooring. We have
all the cabinet doors open to (hopefully) let some of the heat from
inside get to the pipes.

The cats are wondering what their old water dish is doing on top of the
kerosene heater, what that white stuff in it is, and why does it make
hissing noises?

I just love this! (NOT)

Mishi
Old January 10th 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Jan 10, 6:48*am, Mishi wrote:
.. I kept telling DH that someone needed to get
under there and insulate the pipes,

When we first moved in here the water pipe outside that leads into
the building was not properly insulated and every winter for about 3
years we'd have no water for several days- the last time it was 2
weeks! We survived because at the time we had some large barrels left
over from Dave's attempts to brew his own beer (not a success btw) and
we could fill them up at the garage over the road and we went to
friends for a bath- not fun- you have my deepest sympathy

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 10th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 6:48 am, Mishi wrote:
.. I kept telling DH that someone needed to get
under there and insulate the pipes,

When we first moved in here the water pipe outside that leads into
the building was not properly insulated and every winter for about 3
years we'd have no water for several days- the last time it was 2
weeks! We survived because at the time we had some large barrels left
over from Dave's attempts to brew his own beer (not a success btw) and
we could fill them up at the garage over the road and we went to
friends for a bath- not fun- you have my deepest sympathy

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Yeah, John has the same problem. He had the pipes replaced last year and
they weren't insulated well so now he's got frozen pipes and no water. He's
melting snow and ice for his cat, Raisin to drink water. I don't even want
to know what he's doing about bathing or flushing the toilet. LOL

It's cold down here in SC, too. 28F degrees this morning! Yikes! This is
unheard of!

Jill

Old January 10th 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Jan 10, 7:48*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
*I don't even want
to know what he's doing about bathing or flushing the toilet. LOL

Probably not best to tell you what we did then- LOL

Old January 11th 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`

Oh, Mishi, I am so sorry that happened to you.
When it gets down to 31f we trickle our water in the sink to
prevent that, but we don't have to pay for the water here.
I cannot believe what people are going through right now...it is so sad.
Love
Kyla

"Mishi"

Old January 11th 10, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Mishi wrote:
[...]

That is *cold*! We only occasionally get negative temps here,
fortunately. We used to be in a similar situation here, where a prior
remodeling where they put in a new back door had left a radiator pipe
going under the door uninsulated. It used to freeze about once a
year, until I sprayed a can of expanding foam insulation around it.

Back then, Betty was still with me, and she would alert me to the
frozen pipe by frantically whapping at my shoulder. She'd want to get
under the covers, because it was cold!

When that happened, we'd evacuate and leave the first floor heating
zone and sleep in one of the bedrooms upstairs instead, which was fed
by a different pipe.
Old January 14th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 13, 6:50*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Jan 10, 7:48*am, Mishi wrote:

[...]

It stayed around minus 12 and15oF here for over a week, and below
freezing
several weeks. In this condo and elsewhere, pipes don't jut
*freeze*...they BLOW.
The HOA pays for the water bill so anyone who knows whazzup keeps a
narrow
stream of water out of all faucets which I was told early on prevents
what i saw
not long after moving here....one of the end units tenants (not its
owner) banged
on my door one night (many units in one one building) and dragged me
down to
her bottom floor apt. where water was shooting *sideways* from a blown
pipe
just behind her medicine cabinet in one bathroom. I thought, "no way
is that
happening to me" and Snaggly loves to get in the sinks and lap the
falling water
from his own little waterfails.
I have learned a lot of strange things since living here, mostly in
winter, and this
is one of the least annoying "musts". Wearing ugly Canadian-made
rubber boots
to go outside *for any readon* when it gets icy is one of the more
annoying. Don't
get me wrong.....Thank God for the Canadians who make Sorel boots, if
not for
them, I would probably have a fx hip or worse by now but them boots
don't slip, eh?- Hide quoted text -

I fall down all the time, even on dry pavement. I always have. I think
I have
horrible balance, DH says I just don't pay attention. Anyway, I stay
off the
ice, period. I fell last year just going out to the car. One minute
I'm
bopping down off the porch thinking about going somewhere, and the
next
minute I am flat on my back. It happened SO FAST.
My first thought used to be "Did anyone see me?"
Now, it's "Did I break something?" LOL.
My good friend a few years older than me says she knew she was old
when
she stopped singing in the shower 'cuz she was afraid she'd fall. :-)

Sherry
Old January 15th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

I have a pair of "overshoes" that have metal spikes on the bottom. I
wear these whenever it is icy. They are easy to put on and well worth
the effort. If you intend to get something like that, avoid the
Yaktracks. They have metal coils on the bottom and grip on packed snow
but NOT on smooth ice.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I have a kitten who is facinated with water and purposely tips the dogs water bowl over lovemm Cat health & behaviour 11 November 29th 06 02:29 AM
Frozen hamburger whitershadeofpale Cat health & behaviour 2 November 23rd 05 08:12 PM
OT HOW MANY USES DOES A FROZEN TURKEY HAVE No More Retail Cat anecdotes 2 November 23rd 05 02:58 PM
Arrrgh HRFLTiger Cat anecdotes 17 April 30th 05 10:22 PM
Frozen pipes Pat Cat anecdotes 13 January 5th 05 08:50 AM