FLUTD and what to expect?????

Old November 23rd 03, 09:26 PM

Ava wrote:

My problem is I am tapped out
financially...spent about $2,000 on this,
didn't even pay this month's bills yet. I
don't know how much I'll get back from
the insurance company. I live on a tight
budget. I am considering the "E" word, if I
have to continue with fluids several times
a week indefinitely.(He was reshopitalized
twice before I took him to the university
vet school who advised me about the
at-home fluid therapy.)
I know that all of these cases look
different. Has anyone had a case like the
one I'm describing--that took fluids over
several weeks to stabilize? What was the
pattern after that?

Laura gave you some excellent ideas for giving fluids. The only thing I
would add to that is that an easy way to warm fluids is to put some of
the line in a bowl of hot water after you get the needle in and start
the flow. This works very well to gently warm fluids as they are being
administered and is easy to do.

As far as the future goes, there is *no* need to consider euthanizing
your cat. Feeding him on a high quality canned only diet (Wellness,
Innova and Felidae are good brands) will greatly increase his water
intake, which in turn will keep his bladder flushed and minimize the
chances that crystals will cluster and form a blockage. It is also
important that you don't free feed, instead feeding him on a schedule
(every 12 hours.) This will not only lessen his chances of having
reoccurrences, but if you pay close attention to the amount he is fed,
his extra weight will come off as well.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 24th 03, 05:05 AM
Stacey

Liquids are what have helped Sebastian the most too. His surgeon suggested
adding water to his canned food. That has prevented the crystals from
coming back as well as being on Prescription Diet CD.

It is possible to get this under control! Good luck!

Stacey

"afr" wrote in message
. org...
I realize this post is nearly a year old, but since I am here for the same
issue, I thought I'd attach my concerns to this post.

Ninetten days ago, my 8 1/2 year old cat george was howling. I took him
into the ER and he was blocked. They unblocked him, and my vet kept him
for a few days and sent him home. (ER vet saw calcium oxylate crystals
and vet may have seen a struvite. He's on a Ph neutral food now that the
University vet school where I went for a consult, put him on.)

What seems to have brought him around is administering fluids every other
day. This past week, I've been able to back off to every third day. My
problem is that I live alone and so have been having vet techs come to the
house to administer the fluids. I cannot get my cat to sit still for the
approx. 7-8 minuts it takes to get the 150 ml of fluids in him.

We had a followup urinalysis taken yesterday. Specific gravity looks good
and no crystals seen. Tomorrow I will know the results of some other
things they are looking for..

My problem is I am tapped out financially...spent about $2,000 on this,
didn't even pay this month's bills yet. I don't know how much I'll get
back from the insurance company. I live on a tight budget. I am
considering the "E" word, if I have to continue with fluids several times

a wee
k indefinitely.(He was reshopitalized twice before I took him to the
university vet school who advised me about the at-home fluid therapy.)

I know that all of these cases look different. Has anyone had a case like
the one I'm describing--that took fluids over several weeks to stabilize?
What was the pattern after that?

Thank you very much.

ava

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, The 7 Kitty Brats wrote:

Hi Karen,

Thanks so very much for the advise. Thaddeus had a number of tests

and has
Struvite Crystals. His vet said that we got him there before the totally
clogged him up because he could still press on his bladder and get pee.

His
bladder was the size of a lemon. Poor thing.
Well, they kept him for 6 hours and put him on a special IV fluid that

helps
break down the crystals. He started peeing small amounts on his own. So

they
said that I could bring him home.
They have him on Hill's C/D-s food and he is peeing better today.

Not
normal amounts yet but close to it. The Dr. said that we need to watch

him for
the next 24-36 hours to make sure he doesn't clog back up.
Thanks again and have a great day!
Amber, and the seven Kitty Brats. :-)
S*T*R*E*S*S That confusion created when ones mind overrides the bodies

basic
desire to choke the living crap out of some jerk that deserves it.