From 2 rooms away

Old March 25th 12, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default From 2 rooms away

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
Just a moment ago I hear one of the loudest growls I have ever heard from
a cat. I heard it and went WTF what cat is that I know all there
voices. I thought an outside cat got into the Florida room.

I turn the corner to see Jammer standing his ground against Rumble. First
thought was oh boy top alpha time than the growl happened again it was
jammer. He has never ever growled or hissed at all since we rescued him.
I noticed that the little devil had a lizard and was telling Rumble this
is mine stay away. He tried to get away from me but I got him and got him
to release. He dropped it in my hand and began chirping at me. I said
good job mighty hunter but these will make you sick big time

He is laying on my desk enjoying the scritches still chirping at me. Time
for a snack for the mighty hunter

Still can't believe that such a loud sound came from any cat

Cats with prey in their mouth or defending prey make very different noises
from those we are used to.
If Boyfie came to the door with a birdie for KFC, I would know immediately
by his very different meow that he'd caught something.
He never hunts collared doves now (her favourite) he occasionally catches
mousies and small ratties in the garden in the summer for amusement and then
he thinks they are my favourite as he brings them back as a present for me.
During the winter, he almost never goes out on rat patrol, he says do that
yourself and I say, Boyfie, you are getting soft!

Old March 25th 12, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:30:39 -0500, "MaryL"
wrote:
We have several types of lizards in East Texas--all are small, but most are
very cute (as you said). They are also excellent bug-catchers. We have
*lots* of the little green anoles that Jill described, and I sometimes see
the little pink geckos. They are adorable, and actually very pretty. We
have skinks, but I think they must be smaller than the ones that Jill
described. There are larger varieties in the western part of the state.
When I lived in Ohio, we would sometimes see salamanders in shallow creeks.
They were brightly colored, and almost looked like little jewels in pools of
water. As far as I know, none of them are poisonous. I have rescued a few
anoles from Holly when they get into the house. She terrorizes the poor
little creatures. Like playing a "cat and mouse" game with lizards, she
will poke them and toss them around, but they do not seem to be injured when
I am finally able to get one and place it outdoors. I learned years ago to
carefully pick one up with a Kleenix. The first time I tried to save one, I
grabbed it by the tail--and the tail fell off. I was horrified, although
that is really a safety mechanism. The tail will grow back, but I learned
from that to use Kleenix and carefully pick it up by the body. Of course,
they are *fast* little creatures, so that also takes some care.

They do sound very cute. But why do you use a tissue? Does it keep them
from biting or running away, or is it just an ick thing? I once caught a
small lizard, and it had harmless bug-catching teeth, and a beady wizened
little face.
Old March 26th 12, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
On 24/03/2012 3:50 PM, jmcquown wrote:

I guess it depends on the lizard. There are two types of lizards common
here in South Carolina. Small green anoles, which only get to be about 5
inches long head to tail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_anole

Anoles are just plain cute Persia chatters at them when she sees them
climbing up the window screens. Then there are skinks. Skinks are much
larger and are said to be poisonous... which isn't true. But they do
bite and they have teeth! I don't think a cat would want to mess with
one.

OOOH! Those anoles are adorable! They look like the Queensland geckos
(also cute - and cheeky!)

We occasionally get a skink in the loungeroom or kitchen (I have no idea
how they get in).

I don't know how bugs get in, either but they manage.

These are our skinks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Garden_Skink

How cute!

They're not usually more than 3" long - and they're very cute too!

Yowie

Anoles are small. And when mating season comes around (soon!) the males
display red extended dewlaps like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...t_expanded.jpg

Apparently female anoles find that attractive

Jill

Old March 29th 12, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
I never heard of them being "toxic" AT All! My cats in California used
to bring them home all the time, and presumably eat them, since I often
found only PARTIAL lizards in the house. (I know some lizards, when
attacked, shed their tails and grow new ones, but I used to find more
than just tails.)

There are many different kinds of lizards. It is quite possible that some
of them are toxic. It is probable that some of them will upset the
digestive systems of some cats.

Joy

If they are stupid enough to eat them.

Old March 29th 12, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

wrote in message
I never heard of them being "toxic" AT All! My cats in California used
to bring them home all the time, and presumably eat them, since I often
found only PARTIAL lizards in the house. (I know some lizards, when
attacked, shed their tails and grow new ones, but I used to find more
than just tails.)

There are many different kinds of lizards. It is quite possible that some
of them are toxic. It is probable that some of them will upset the
digestive systems of some cats.

Joy

If they are stupid enough to eat them.

Now, now, Tweed. If we can't tell if a lizard is toxic just by looking
at it, how is a kitty supposed to? I don't believe cats are "stupid"
ever -- just inexperienced. After all, don't we all learn best by
experience? Best wishes. MLB
Old March 30th 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MLB" wrote in message
wrote in message
I never heard of them being "toxic" AT All! My cats in California used
to bring them home all the time, and presumably eat them, since I often
found only PARTIAL lizards in the house. (I know some lizards, when
attacked, shed their tails and grow new ones, but I used to find more
than just tails.)

There are many different kinds of lizards. It is quite possible that
some
of them are toxic. It is probable that some of them will upset the
digestive systems of some cats.

Joy

If they are stupid enough to eat them.

Now, now, Tweed. If we can't tell if a lizard is toxic just by looking at
it, how is a kitty supposed to? I don't believe cats are "stupid" ever --
just inexperienced. After all, don't we all learn best by experience?
Best wishes. MLB

Yes, we do. Eat lizard, vomit, do not do it again.
Boyfie once caught a shrew and ate it, there is something about eating
shrews that makes cats vomit, and he never did it again. He ignores shrews
now.
But he is a fine hunter of mousies and ratties, unless the rats are big then
he washes himself when he sees them.
He pretends to ignore them.
That's when we get the terrier men in. Nothing rat-wise gets past them, and
neither will anything else. I have to keep Boyfriend inside if they are
coming./ or he would be deceased. The terriers kill everything in their
path.

Old March 30th 12, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Yes, we do. Eat lizard, vomit, do not do it again.
Boyfie once caught a shrew and ate it, there is something about eating
shrews that makes cats vomit, and he never did it again. He ignores shrews
now.
But he is a fine hunter of mousies and ratties, unless the rats are big then
he washes himself when he sees them.

Smart *and* clean - he's a keeper.

--
Joyce

I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
-- Edward Abbey
Old March 31st 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Yes, we do. Eat lizard, vomit, do not do it again.
Boyfie once caught a shrew and ate it, there is something about eating
shrews that makes cats vomit, and he never did it again. He ignores
shrews
now.
But he is a fine hunter of mousies and ratties, unless the rats are big
then
he washes himself when he sees them.

Smart *and* clean - he's a keeper.

I know. It's kind of like "I see a big rat and I know it has big brown
chisel teeth so I will pretend I did not see it."
I've seen him wash himself when he sees one.
I do not expect him to catch big rats, that's why I get the terriers in.
He will kill the young ones providing they are not much bigger than large
mice and that is good enough for me. It means they don't grow up.
Big rats can be challenging even for the terriers. We had a stand-off once
with a big rat and a terrier under the roots of a tree. The rat nearly took
the nose off the terrier.
These terriers will sweep through, killing everything in their path and I
have to make sure Boyfie is inside if I invite them to come. Otherwise he
would be a gonner.

Boyfie does help by finding them small and killing them. He will not do big
rats and I do not blame him for that. He's seen their big brown chisel
teeth.

Tweed

Old April 6th 12, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Just wondering about lizards. Are they toxic to all predators?

Most lizard species are edible. An exception is the blue-tailed
lizard found in parts of the US - the blue tail found on the
females is loaded with neurotoxin.