"Manna" Recipe Needed - Ping Jill (and all other cooks)

Old September 20th 10, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default "Manna" Recipe Needed - Ping Jill (and all other cooks)

CatNipped wrote:
Quick, somebody start a flame war - it's urgent, I need a recipe! ;

My ex Monster-In-Law had only one good thing going for her - she
cooked, and baked, from scratch, anything she put on her table. I'd
gotten most of recipes and techniques early on in the marriage, but
one this one that I'm asking about she used for only special and the
recipe has escaped me. She called it "Manna" and it certainly did
taste like something the gods brought down from heaven.

Here are clues, first *all* her cooking was Southern cooking
(specifically Alabama). There was shaved coconut, miniature
marshmallows, tiny little Mandarin oranges (I think they come in a
can - I've never seen any whole that looks like it in a fruit isle -
they're the size of your index finger from the last knuckle up,
*very* orange in color, and are kind of wrinkly). There were chopped
nuts, but I don't remember which kind (she loved pecans so I'm sure
that was one, but maybe also walnuts. And I *THINK*, I am *NOT*
totally sure - that the base blender was mayonnaise (sounds yucky,
but it wouldn't surprise me in the least since she often combined
foods I didn't like and wouldn't have dreamed putting together on the
same dinner table much less the same dish - but were, ultimately,
delicious).

Joel's mum made something she called 'American Salad' - I actually asked
about it here years ago.

Here's the 'basic' recipe:

300 ml sour cream
450g can of crushed pineapple in pineapple juice (not syrup!), drained
500g marshmallows (I like the bigger ones, the size of a quarter, and I chop
them in half so they're crescent chaped)
450g can mandarin slices.

Drain crushed pineapple with a strainer, and let juice flow off, but do not
press or otherwise force any more liquid to come out. Dump in mixing bowl.
Dump the sour cream in, and mix well.
Then fold in the marshamallows and mandarin slices.
Leave to set in fridge (overnight is best)

Now, I've fiddled around with it some, because I was sure there was more to
it.

I added:

190g can of passionfruit pulp to the initial pineapple/sour cream mix and
then folded in:

450g of canned peach, cut into slices similar to the size of the mandarin &
marshmallow
Fresh mango (canned is too mooshy), cut up in similar size peices to be
about equivalent in amount to the peaches & mandarin
2 ripe (but not mooshy) bananas, again cut up into similar size peices to
the mandarin, peach, mango etc (I cut the the banana length wise first so
they'd be crescent shaped)

And this tasted more 'complete' to me. None of my family like coconut, so I
left it out. A blob of coconut cream in the sour cream / pineapple base
might work, but if was going to use coconut, it would have to be fresh, not
dessicated. If i were going to use nuts, it would be something like pine
nutes, becaue they're soft, and this recipe, to my mind, is all about soft
smooth textures, not crunchy bits. YMMV, of course. As far as I can see, the
pineapple / sour cream 'base' and hte marshamallows are the only essential
items, add whatever else you'd like.

Yowie

Old September 20th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

my mom calls this ambrosia salad, it can have all you mentioned plus grapes
and apples. mayo based with just a bit of sugar, or barely covered in mayo
then add whipped cream, also look at some waldorf salad recipes, Lee
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I'm "in a mood" and my headshrinker said I should do little projects as I
am physically able to get my mind out of reality for a sort of mini
vacation. I decided to recreate some dishes, that I loved as a child, into
a meal. So...

We're going to have "Pinayed" (breaded for those unfortunate enough to be
born in the south ;) pork chops (very thin cut, boneless pork chops -
which should, ideally, be veal, but that's too pricey). Create a breading
by mixing half flour and half corn meal (about a cup each), salt and
pepper to taste. First, dip each chop into the dry mix, then dip each
chop into a bowl of whirred eggs, and then back into the meal mix (the
first dip in the dry crumbs will attach to the meat and keep the breading
from falling off. Fry in vegetable oil until golden brown.

Next is fried okra. Rinse the okra under water before cutting it into
bite-sized bits (NOTE, if you DO NOT like your okra gooey then cut it
first and rinse thoroughly) - then follow the same procedure as with the
pork chops, but this time use 1/3 flour and 2/3 corn meal, salt and pepper
to taste (and, again, dip in the dry, dip in the wet, then dip in the dry
again to keep from breading slippage). Fry in vegetable oil until golden
brown.

Next is the fried squash. Use "Summer" squash, the kind that is soft and
has a yellow skin. Slice the squash length-wise into thin sheets (not as
thin as paper, but not as thick as a shoe sole (aren't I just the best
recipe giver y'all have ever seen???! ;)). This time you'll use a batter
of flour (with salt and pepper added to the mix per taste), add water to
the flour until you have a gooey paste, not too gooey that it makes big
lumps in the breading, but not so thin that it slides off the squash. Fry
in vegetable oil until golden brown.

Then I'd like to have the "Manna" as dessert - but can't find a darn
recipe for it. TIA for you help with this.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old September 20th 10, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

also aldi if you have them near sell these oranges reasonable, well more
reasonable than regular stores, Lee
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 19, 2:03 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

Oops, forgot one last description... The end result should be like a fruit
salad, not a bread or cake or cookie.

CatNipped

First, after careful reading of your descriptions of food involved in
salad with
self-appointed name of biblical breadstuff, *whole* Mandarin oranges
do come
in cans in specialty stores, and are sky-high in price, LOL. I would
think you
would settle for canned "segments", found everywhere and cheap. OR are
you
absulutely sure this item was not something that grows all over FL and
was in
my backyard there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumquat

a bit tart but definitely round in shape. And "wrinkly".
As for the rest of the ingredients, I believe the *name* of your salad
was made
up by your then-MIL, as were her choice of ingredients in it.
Here is the zinger: I think YOU could do just as well if not much
better by making
your own choice of ingredients into a similar salad mixture, rather
than attempting
to secure a nonexistent recipe (probably) for your fond memory of this
salad treat
or dessert or whatever it was then.
I assume this woman is dead now. If you are on speaking terms with any
of her
survivors (which I see no reason why you *should* be) a conversation
with one who
knew her and is now pretty old might get you some tips.
I believe she slung some stuff together and had fantastic marketing
skills at its
presentation. Think about it.

Old September 20th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Quick, somebody start a flame war - it's urgent, I need a recipe! ;

My ex Monster-In-Law had only one good thing going for her - she cooked,
and baked, from scratch, anything she put on her table. I'd gotten most
of recipes and techniques early on in the marriage, but one this one that
I'm asking about she used for only special and the recipe has escaped me.
She called it "Manna" and it certainly did taste like something the gods
brought down from heaven.

(snippage)
Then I'd like to have the "Manna" as dessert - but can't find a darn
recipe for it. TIA for you help with this.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Sorry, but I've never heard of anything called "Manna". And yes, mandarin
oranges come in cans I've never seen fresh ones but I always have a can
or two in the pantry. Hope someone else can help you.

Jill

Old September 20th 10, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

All taken care of, thanks. It was my fault, I got the name of it wrong -
it's called "Ambrosia" (food from the gods as is Manna). Carol replied with
some great recipes and I found a web page that's full of them (I guess there
is no one "official" recipe for it, so you just pick one by which
ingredients are in it).

Old September 20th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joani H

On Sep 20, 2:56*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
All taken care of, thanks. *It was my fault, I got the name of it wrong -
it's called "Ambrosia" (food from the gods as is Manna). *Carol replied with
some great recipes and I found a web page that's full of them (I guess there
is no one "official" recipe for it, so you just pick one by which
ingredients are in it).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Hey CN! I know you'll want to reach out and slap me but...Ambrosia
*is* food from the gods, coming from the Greek Theobroma...it is often
referenced in ancient Greek mythology.

You were on the right track because "Manna" is the name of a food that
God provided for the Israelites while wandering in the desert. If I
can tease you a bit, I think at one time you referred to being raised
Catholic?? tsk, tsk your Sunday School teachers would be so
disappointed - j/k LOL

I have a degree in languages and linguistics and find all that kind of
stuff - word orgin/ relationships and such - fascinating. I'm such a
geek! One of the courses I took was "The Bible as Literature" which
was really interesting. I also had 12, count 'em 12, years of
Catholic School education - HS being an all girls school. Luckily in
HS the nuns were very progressive and taught us girls to be free
thinkers, questioners. Sometimes though that gets me in trouble. My
pets (kitties and other animals) in college and beyond have often had
names based on what language I was studying at the time...LOL

Hope you enjoyed your Ambrosia - next time you go to the desert I'll
get you Manna recipe!

Joani
Old September 21st 10, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 20 Sep, 17:18, "jmcquown" wrote:
And yes, mandarin
oranges come in cans *I've never seen fresh ones but I always have a can
or two in the pantry. *Hope someone else can help you.

I think fresh Mandarin oranges are tangerines but I could be wrong. I
loved tinned Mandarin oranges when I was a kid- they were a big treat-
the sort of thing you get with Sunday tea but I haven't seen them in
the shops for a while- then again I haven't really looked maybe I
should

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 21st 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

Joani, I *NEVER* mind being corrected about something - just the opposite, I
really, really appreciate being educated. I never understood why people get
insulted by being corrected or criticized. I see it as a gift that, first
someone is listening / reading what I have to say, and second, they care
enough about me to take the time and effort to make sure I don't *continue*
to make a fool of myself! ;

As far as being made fun of... first, you'll have to wait in line for me to
make fun of myself and second, I grew up with two older brothers - so bring
it chickie!!! LOL!

Old September 22nd 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"CatNipped" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

Snicker, I should have waited! Posted before I saw you found it.

If it helps any, you aren't crazy to recall it as called 'manna' as that
was a generic deep south name for just plain great sweet treats. Some
are bread based and some are not. The relation is in the bible, manna
just fell on you when you needed uplifting. A very old southern relation
was to call a sweet just when you needed that uplifting, 'manna'.

'Momma's making manna tonight' would get the kids all excited. It was
also used to keep kids at bay 'hush youngun or Momma won't give you no
manna tonight'. It's very possibly your long ago MIL did indeed call it
'manna'.

But thank you for responding so, um, comprehensively - LOL! I forgot how
thorough you are when you are asked for information, I could take a page
from your book. Thanks, sweetie, I really appreciate it.

Hehe it's just me. No need for you to be the same.

Are you a researcher by occupation/avocation?

Gulp! You fiound me out! EEK!!! Gotta go hide now ;-)

Seriously though, you are close. Data Analyst. Makes me pretty good by
nature with trivia. The description of the recipe you posted was automatic
then trivia reminded me of the name as your MIL was probably born around
1880-1900. That centered it to likely oval kumquats in her early days (a
relatively northern growing citrus able to handle Alabama with advent about
1850 or so in the USA). Earliest versions would have used soured cream with
sugar added.

Yogurt although makeable down south, just was not known until relatively
recent decades.

Old September 22nd 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
OK, BFF called me back and she set me on the correct trail (she's the one
who introduced me to my ex - she's still paying for it ; - so she
remembers this dessert too). First, it's called "Ambrosia" not "Manna"
(though both are gifts from the gods). Here are a few recipes if anyone
cares for a really good Southern fruit salad.

Ingredients:
1 can (20 oz.) Dole chunk pineapple in juice or syrup
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin orange segments
1 1/2 cup seedless grapes
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup nuts
3/4 cup dairy sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar

Directions:
Drain pineapple. Drain oranges. Combine pineapple, oranges, grapes,
marshmallows, coconut, and nuts. Mix sour cream and sugar. Stir into fruit
mixture. Chill.

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Ambrosia makes more sense! The mention of mayonnaise in your original post
threw me off, as did the "southern" reference. My aunt in Pennsylvania used
to make Ambrosia. That was over 40 years ago. You have to remember, even
though I live in the southern U.S. I'm not actually *from* the south I'm
glad you found it!

Jill