Do Cats Like Coffee?

Old March 7th 12, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

Default Do Cats Like Coffee?

It might be of interest that I had one cat, Weed, who absolutely hated me but
loved Harveys Bristol Cream cream sherry. He would happily lick it off my
fingers. He never could consume enough to get plastered that way, but seemed
to really enjoy the sweet elixir.

Art

Old March 7th 12, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 03/07/2012 10:57 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
It might be of interest that I had one cat, Weed, who absolutely hated me but
loved Harveys Bristol Cream cream sherry. He would happily lick it off my
fingers. He never could consume enough to get plastered that way, but seemed
to really enjoy the sweet elixir.

Art

Why do you feel he hated you? Was he feral?
You have been so good to so many cats, I can't imagine any of them
"hating"-- nervous, perhaps. MLB
Old March 7th 12, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
It might be of interest that I had one cat, Weed, who absolutely hated me
but
loved Harveys Bristol Cream cream sherry. He would happily lick it off my
fingers. He never could consume enough to get plastered that way, but
seemed
to really enjoy the sweet elixir.

Art

I think it would be very dangerous to say, "Cats like ..." or "Cat's don't
like ..." anything. I'm sure that, whatever it is, if you really searched,
you could find one cat that didn't or did like whatever it is.

Joy

Old March 7th 12, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , MLB wrote:

Why do you feel he hated you? Was he feral?
You have been so good to so many cats, I can't imagine any of them
"hating"-- nervous, perhaps.

My wife found him as a quite small kitten in an abandoned lot, and brought him
home. A shorthaired black cat - often a bad sign. He never warmed up to me,
although he somewhat liked her. He turned into a lean, muscular, unpleasantly
aggressive and mean cat that would often attack me violently, drawing lots of
blood.

Weed was destructive, and after he clawed and ripped the woofer on one of my
speakers ($1600 was an expensive speaker in 1984) I made him live outside,
letting him in very, very sporadically. It worked out OK, as Santa Barbara
isn't horribly cold although the winter nights could be in the 30s.

He disappeared one night, and four months to the day later was run over on a
freeway ramp about five miles away. His collar and tag were still attached,
so the authorities were able to notify us. Presumably nobody else had
bothered to deal with him, or vice-versa, as my name and phone number were on
the tag. I wasn't particularly upset - he was a mean cat - although my wife
was distressed. He's the only cat I've had that I totally despised.

Art

Art

Art

Old March 7th 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

In article , MLB wrote:

[...]

It sounds as though the hate was mutual.

I don't understand your comment about black, short-haired cats. I've had
two of them - one male, and one female. Both were very sweet and loving.

Joy

Old March 7th 12, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

In article , MLB wrote:

My wife found him as a quite small kitten in an abandoned lot, and brought
him
home. A shorthaired black cat - often a bad sign.

Why is a shorthaired black cat a bad sign? I've seen this sort of
anti-black cat idea from the USA before, why is this?
A cat is a cat. What difference does the colour of the coat make?

Old March 7th 12, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , "Christina Websell" wrote:

Why is a shorthaired black cat a bad sign? I've seen this sort of
anti-black cat idea from the USA before, why is this?
A cat is a cat. What difference does the colour of the coat make?

(and similar query from Joy)

Perhaps Weed negatively affected me (after all, it's only been 28 years) but I
subsequently would sometimes encounter short-haired black cats, and found that
they'd suddenly turn on me more than any other kind of cat. Longhaired black
cats were either very shy or extremely nice creatures, but I learned to be
really wary of the shorthairs. I don't think I'll ever own another one.

Just my own body of experience.

Art
Old March 7th 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

Why is a shorthaired black cat a bad sign? I've seen this sort of
anti-black cat idea from the USA before, why is this?
A cat is a cat. What difference does the colour of the coat make?

(and similar query from Joy)

Perhaps Weed negatively affected me (after all, it's only been 28 years)
but I
subsequently would sometimes encounter short-haired black cats, and found
that
they'd suddenly turn on me more than any other kind of cat. Longhaired
black
cats were either very shy or extremely nice creatures, but I learned to be
really wary of the shorthairs. I don't think I'll ever own another one.

Just my own body of experience.

I think you were unfortunate with the temperament of said cats. Coat colour
and/or length cannot have an influence on how nice (or not) cats are.
They are either nice or they aren't, regardless of colour etc.

Old March 7th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , "Christina
Websell" wrote:

[...]

I've *never* met a cat that isn't "nice". That's either because
I'm a "cat whisperer" in training, or the "un-nice" cats don't
want to be met :-)

--
MatSav

Old March 7th 12, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

I've had (and currently have) cats that weren't fond of people, other than
me, but they tend to hide. The only time I was ever attacked by a cat was
when Waffles jumped me to protect his sister. I hadn't realized that
Pickles is claustrophobic, and I tried to stuff her headfirst into a small
fabric carrier. She let out a scream, and Waffles jumped me. I wasn't
angry at the time, just shocked. When I reasoned things out, I realized he
was protecting his sister, and I was proud of him.

Joy